Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 11:11 PM

713 posts, read 3,437,829 times

Advertisements

I am still in the process of deciding to move to Alaska or Canada and need help. At the moment I am a HS student, Senior, and am looking to trades that might be useful up here.

Here are some programs a school next to me offers: Diesel Technology, Welding/Welding Technology, Electrician, Plumbing, Home Building, and Air Conditioning and Heating.

From this list, what would be useful to get that might help me in finding work in Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 PM

122 posts, read 412,363 times
Welding/Welding Technology, Electrician, Plumbing, Home Building, and Air Conditioning and Heating.

Those above would be very good to know up here in Canada. My Opinion is to move to Canada. But its your Choice.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 PM

276 posts, read 747,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
I am still in the process of deciding to move to Alaska or Canada and need help. At the moment I am a HS student, Senior, and am looking to trades that might be useful up here.

Here are some programs a school next to me offers: Diesel Technology, Welding/Welding Technology, Electrician, Plumbing, Home Building, and Air Conditioning and Heating.

From this list, what would be useful to get that might help me in finding work in Canada?
Canada has high demand for IT skills at the moment and because that's where the world has come to, I can't see it changing.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:10 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post

Those are all useful. Despite the downturn in the oil industry, they still hire welders throughout Alberta and Southern Saskatchewan.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:40 PM

42 posts, read 141,740 times
You might also want to check out jobfutures.ca and this will give you an idea of the jobs in demand. You can also search by province; this should give you a general idea.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 13,929 times
Hey rgomez912, thought I would chim in my 2 cents.

I live in Fort McMurray, Alberta. Its the far north, and its THE trades-capital of Alberta. Its where we pull all the oil up from the ground. Electrical engineer's or heavy duty mechanics can make 200+k a year here, and if your considering moving to Alaska, you probably wont mind the cold. (And make no mistake, it gets very, very cold)

Diesel, welding, or electrician would be good choices, because the plants outside of town have reason to hire you. For jobs like plumber or air conditioning, no so much.

I would suggest you enter what trade most interests you, you'll probably be able to find work in this town. Since your crafty enough to be looking into this while your still in highschool, I'll assume you want a leg up on other potential hires. So I'll give you a much better piece of advice then what trade to take (assuming you'd consider Fort McMurray) - Join a union before you get to town.

Any union (labourers, welders, electrician, pipefitters, ect) are extremely selective of who they take in town, often only a handful of people once or twice a year. Sometimes considerably less (as in current times). The reason is simple - tons and tons of people come to Fort Mac to work, and their isnt enough work in the union halls to spread it amongst everybody. However, if you join a union in a part of Canada with less work (read: east coast) then transfer union halls, your at least guarenteed work or a pogi cheque.

I know this kind of goes beyond your post, but if your looking at trades in the north/canada, Fort McMurray is likely to come onto your radar. Just be aware its not the land of milk and honey its sometimes made to be - you need more than your ticket and a work attitude to get a job, even though that may have once been the case.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,833 times
Dear Friends,
This is my first post in this forum, I just stumbled across this site and found this very interesting.
I am from India, and I applied for immigration back in 2006 after i returned from US. I would like to know how is the job market at this point. I see lot of blogs floating around that it is hard for new immigrants to find job and stuff and end up in factories or one of those scary places. I have an MBA in Hospitality from Johnson & Wales Univ, RI and a Marketing Analysis certification from Cornell Univ, Ithaca with a total 10 yrs experience till date. In India due to the pittence paid to Hotel employees, I switched lines to Real Estate where i started doing feasibility study for Hotel projects and for the past 4 years I have been involved in leasing Premium IT office spaces. My current project is about 4 Million sft in size. Can anyone please suggest me, if I could get decent employment in Canada. In US the 4 yrs i lived (2001-2004) I felt very much at home and was/is still having good relationships with them. Never felt like an outsider and people of all communities were very friendly. I worked as a General Manager at Red Roof Inns(corporate owned property not a franchise owned by some Indian) and I managed a staff of about 35-40 and all were locals with a mix of Caucasians, African AMericans and Hispanic and I was the only foreigner. Even then they were very warm and friendly. This was in Benton Harbor,MI. I lived in Providence, RI, Chicago, IL and Benton Harbor, MI. How will be the lifestyle in Canada? Any suggestions on which city is ideal for my kinda profile.
Some immigrant blogs also mentioned that Canadian employers do not value degrees and work experience from other countries..in this case will my MBA from JWU be considered? Some even went on to say that canada is good if you are technically skilled like Chef, electrician, Plumber, Carpenter etc. I am a complete novice in all these areas(cant even fix a darn light bulb) Your suggestions will be very helpful

Old 02-23-2010, 12:46 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prakstar View Post
Dear Friends,
This is my first post in this forum, I just stumbled across this site and found this very interesting.
I am from India, and I applied for immigration back in 2006 after i returned from US. I would like to know how is the job market at this point. I see lot of blogs floating around that it is hard for new immigrants to find job and stuff and end up in factories or one of those scary places. I have an MBA in Hospitality from Johnson & Wales Univ, RI and a Marketing Analysis certification from Cornell Univ, Ithaca with a total 10 yrs experience till date. In India due to the pittence paid to Hotel employees, I switched lines to Real Estate where i started doing feasibility study for Hotel projects and for the past 4 years I have been involved in leasing Premium IT office spaces. My current project is about 4 Million sft in size. Can anyone please suggest me, if I could get decent employment in Canada. In US the 4 yrs i lived (2001-2004) I felt very much at home and was/is still having good relationships with them. Never felt like an outsider and people of all communities were very friendly. I worked as a General Manager at Red Roof Inns(corporate owned property not a franchise owned by some Indian) and I managed a staff of about 35-40 and all were locals with a mix of Caucasians, African AMericans and Hispanic and I was the only foreigner. Even then they were very warm and friendly. This was in Benton Harbor,MI. I lived in Providence, RI, Chicago, IL and Benton Harbor, MI. How will be the lifestyle in Canada? Any suggestions on which city is ideal for my kinda profile.
Some immigrant blogs also mentioned that Canadian employers do not value degrees and work experience from other countries..in this case will my MBA from JWU be considered? Some even went on to say that canada is good if you are technically skilled like Chef, electrician, Plumber, Carpenter etc. I am a complete novice in all these areas(cant even fix a darn light bulb) Your suggestions will be very helpful
There is a large difference in how degrees from reputable US universities are looked upon and how a degree from less reputable foreign universities are perceived. A degree from JWU will carry far more weight than one from Outer Djibouti State.

Canadian employers do lend large degree of weight to certain US experience, (like hospitality), so you're ahead of the game there.

Benton Harbor reminds me of the area north of Toronto around Barrie, Orillia, and Collingwood. Lot's of snow, summer beaches and the additional tourist attraction of winter skiing.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:39 AM

2 posts, read 8,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
There is a large difference in how degrees from reputable US universities are looked upon and how a degree from less reputable foreign universities are perceived. A degree from JWU will carry far more weight than one from Outer Djibouti State.

Canadian employers do lend large degree of weight to certain US experience, (like hospitality), so you're ahead of the game there.

Benton Harbor reminds me of the area north of Toronto around Barrie, Orillia, and Collingwood. Lot's of snow, summer beaches and the additional tourist attraction of winter skiing.

Thanks for your reply cornerguy. Which are the cities that will be ideal for my profile? I do not have anyone in Canada and I literally have to be on my own from day 1.

With an MBA will I be able to take a Teaching Position in a college/univ? I have been a teaching assistant back during my Grad School days. I have not worked as a faculty before, but will I be considered based on my experience & qualifications? Except Culinary, I can handle all Hotel Operations subjects + Marketing & Advertising (I was a student of Richard Carbotti & Dr.Joe Goldblatt)

And How is the pay for teaching professionals in Canada? Do I apply to the university/college directly or should I start off in a community college and then work my way up to a University? How does it work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada