Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 10:24 AM

146 posts, read 454,149 times

Advertisements

Given yesterday's stunning decision by the US Supreme Court on corporate donations to political campaigns, my curiosity turned to Canada.

Does Canada allow corporations to donate money to political campaigns?

And

Are there laws regarding the restriction of political lobbyists in Canada?

Thanks for any answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 11:41 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,446,991 times
Elections Canada On-Line | Election Financing

Old 01-24-2010, 06:42 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,796,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
I love the simplicity of the rules.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Thank you !! That's just what I wanted to know.

Rules as they should be. So political campaigns are financed purely by individual people's donations? And what ever personally money the candidate may have? Does the government fund any part of a campaign?

I guess all your campaigns are basically local campaigns, isn't that correct? No one really 'campaigns' to be prime minister, that is a majority party decision, correct?

Thanks for any help --

FCW

Old 01-28-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogcreekwoods View Post
Thank you !! That's just what I wanted to know.

Rules as they should be. So political campaigns are financed purely by individual people's donations? And what ever personally money the candidate may have? Does the government fund any part of a campaign?

I guess all your campaigns are basically local campaigns, isn't that correct? No one really 'campaigns' to be prime minister, that is a majority party decision, correct?

Thanks for any help --

FCW
I am by no means an expert... but that's right, essentially, nobody campaigns to be the Prime Minister. You don't see signs to "vote for Stephen Harper!" or "vote for Jean Chretien!"

You vote for the local candidate who represents your local riding. A riding is a political area, typically a local communuty in cities, or they can be an entire small city, or in rural areas, an entire region of a province. If your local candidate wins the most votes, then he or she becomes the MP for your riding and they're responsible for representing your riding (your local community, area, etc.) in federal politicals. They will be the ones travelling to Ottawa to voice your local riding's concerns in Parliament.

At the end of a federal election, whatever political party wins the most ridings across the entire country, that party's leader becomes the Prime Minister. In the last election there were more Conservatives ridings that won across the entire country, so the leader of the Conservative party, Stephen Harper, became Prime Minister.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:46 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,754,629 times
Quote:
I am by no means an expert... but that's right, essentially, nobody campaigns to be the Prime Minister. You don't see signs to "vote for Stephen Harper!" or "vote for Jean Chretien!"

You vote for the local candidate who represents your local riding. A riding is a political area, typically a local communuty in cities, or they can be an entire small city, or in rural areas, an entire region of a province. If your local candidate wins the most votes, then he or she becomes the MP for your riding and they're responsible for representing your riding (your local community, area, etc.) in federal politicals. They will be the ones travelling to Ottawa to voice your local riding's concerns in Parliament.

At the end of a federal election, whatever political party wins the most ridings across the entire country, that party's leader becomes the Prime Minister. In the last election there were more Conservatives ridings that won across the entire country, so the leader of the Conservative party, Stephen Harper, became Prime Minister.

From a technical standpoint you're right on the money, Robynator.

On the practical side, though, there is quite an awareness of which party leader would be a more suitable candidate for Prime Minister. This can lead to people voting for a party's candidate at the riding level more because of the party affiliation rather than the qualifications or desirability of the candidate them-self.

For example, the Conservative party may field a very dedicated, popular, and qualified candidate in a riding, but many people may still vote against that candidate due to dissatisfaction with the actions of the Conservative Prime Minister and his cabinet.

During a federal election you'll also see party leaders and prominent members of parties campaigning on a national basis to raise the profile of the party and local candidates. Party leaders and outgoing Prime Ministers tend to spend very little time campaigning in their own ridings, relying on their high profile to win their riding seat.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:11 PM

Haha, Cornerguy1, that was actually on my mind for something to write next, and I was debating whether or not to include some pointers on strategically voting during Canadian elections, but I was afraid I'd go too much on a tangent and thought I might complicate things further. So thanks for elaborating upon it!

Old 02-12-2010, 06:32 AM

Thanks to both of you for the clarification!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada