Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:21 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,653 times

Advertisements

It is of course a very reasonble question to ask "do you want the American weather". Surely the US is a big country and North Dakota has way worse climate than Vancouver. However, in the US, you have the luxury of choosing among all sorts of weather.

Vancouver has seattle's weather and Toronto has Chicago/Boston's. Montreal/ottawa has maybe Wisconson or Minesota's weather, but that's all. There are NO OTHER options. What if I like neither Vancouver's raining grey winter or Toronto's bitterly cold winter? What if I prefer Houston's, or Miami's, or LA/San Diego's weather? Sorry, you can't have it. Canadians are stuck between bad and worse weather, while in the US, they are not stuck between Seattle and Boston. They have others.

It is funny that many find it hard to accept the fact that the US has in general much better weather than Canada and always have to compare Vancouver BC with Minneapolis every time we compare weather... By the way, how many of can really afford to live in Vancouver anyway. They have Seattle and Portland, OR at least. Do we have a San Diego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 03:49 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
It is of course a very reasonble question to ask "do you want the American weather". Surely the US is a big country and North Dakota has way worse climate than Vancouver. However, in the US, you have the luxury of choosing among all sorts of weather.

Vancouver has seattle's weather and Toronto has Chicago/Boston's. Montreal/ottawa has maybe Wisconson or Minesota's weather, but that's all. There are NO OTHER options. What if I like neither Vancouver's raining grey winter or Toronto's bitterly cold winter? What if I prefer Houston's, or Miami's, or LA/San Diego's weather? Sorry, you can't have it. Canadians are stuck between bad and worse weather, while in the US, they are not stuck between Seattle and Boston. They have others.

It is funny that many find it hard to accept the fact that the US has in general much better weather than Canada and always have to compare Vancouver BC with Minneapolis every time we compare weather... By the way, how many of can really afford to live in Vancouver anyway. They have Seattle and Portland, OR at least. Do we have a San Diego?
^^ Most American climate equivalents to Canadian cities are sunnier.

Chicago and Boston especially.
You wouldn't think the Boston would be sunny, close to the cold North Atlantic,
but compared to Toronto it's nearly as sunny as Florida in winter.

Minneapolis might have more hours of sunshine than anywhere in Canada,
even though we have small deserts in the BC mountains while Minneapolis isn't even semi-arid.

Yep, I prefer a non-Winter, warm Springs/Autumns and a hot Summer.
Toronto can get spells matching my seasonal preferences for a few weeks... in better years.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:20 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Yep, I prefer a non-Winter, warm Springs/Autumns and a hot Summer.
Toronto can get spells matching my seasonal preferences for a few weeks... in better years.
Like last year's spring.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Like last year's spring.
Spring 2010 in Toronto was overall pretty good, almost ideallic.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:00 PM

398 posts, read 732,930 times
I'd rather take cold, dreary weather than sitting in a prison cell... which is the fate of 1 out of 60 adult men in the U.$.A. thanks to our for-profit prison industry and the ignorant "tough on crime" politicians.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:18 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,640 times
America's gun control system is completely out of wack as well. You'd have to take that into account. You could walk into any Kmart in the US and purchase a gun without a single credential (sometimes without even an ID)! In Canada.... even handguns are completely ILLEGAL. Canada's social issues are extremely limited compared to down south and that's definitely an attractive reason to stay/move here.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
I'd rather take cold, dreary weather than sitting in a prison cell... which is the fate of 1 out of 60 adult men in the U.$.A. thanks to our for-profit prison industry and the ignorant "tough on crime" politicians.
I agree.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
America's gun control system is completely out of wack as well. You'd have to take that into account. You could walk into any Kmart in the US and purchase a gun without a single credential (sometimes without even an ID)! In Canada.... even handguns are completely ILLEGAL. Canada's social issues are extremely limited compared to down south and that's definitely an attractive reason to stay/move here.
I've heard stories of how they can profit greatly from prisoners.
It's like a business. Access to guns or not doesn't really affect incarceration rates.
They'd find other ways to commit crimes if there was no "Right to Bear Arms," imho.
"Tough on Crime" judges just make it easier to stay in business.

USA has the highest incarceration rate in the world, and 7 times Canada's incarceration rate-per-capita.
It may be more dangerous in the USA in general, but not 7 times more dangerous. (would scare away Canadian tourists )
I doubt that the USA is the most dangerous country in the world either...
South Africa?
Now that is a scary country for crime rates!
They allow installation of flame-throwers under your car doors to protect you from hi-jacking.
I wouldn't want to see one of those accidentally turned on.

For myself, their economy is probably not worth immigrating to atm, if you are seeking work.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 PM

398 posts, read 732,930 times
Look up Luzerne County, PA if you want to see one of the most egregious and shameful examples of American judicial corruption. Just 4.5 hours south of Kingston, ON, in a mostly rural PA county... JAILING KIDS FOR CASH is what they did. The judges got kickbacks from for-profit detention centres for keeping children in jail for a LONG time on relatively minor offenses... some kids got sentences like 2 years for running away from home for example. These two judges (Ciavarella and Conahan) got off really light for what they did... improperly locking up hundreds of children for profit. Imagine all the other judges getting away with this sort of thing here in the U.$.A. We also have ABSOLUTE immunity for corrupt prosecutors - they can get away with ANYTHING and they are 100% immune from lawsuits. Same with cops... qualified immunity basically lets them get away with just about anything.

In Canada, there is accountability and the rule of law, and the cops and prosecutors are also subject to it.

Once my wife and I graduate, we are making a beeline to the Canadian border. We have our PR cards already, and can't wait to move to your (our?) beautiful and peaceful country. So I guess I would not trade Canada for anything, and I am thankful that my family has been given the opportunity to make it our home.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:22 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
health care and justice... not sure.

Weather? Absolutely!
I find it very annoying that nowhere in Canada has long, hot summers equivalent to South Carolina or Arizona.
Nowhere in Canada are days under 75 F impossible in July.
You don't want Arizona's weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada