Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:02 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,194 times

Advertisements

Your healthcare system for America's?
Your justice system for America's?
Your weather for America's?

Explain why or why not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 05:29 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Your healthcare system for America's?
Your justice system for America's?
Your weather for America's?

Explain why or why not.
My profile says UK but I am a Canadian so will answer:

-- The healthcare question has been beaten to death. You don't want to go there.

-- Justice system? Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

-- Weather? Wouldn't mind having Florida's weather, but the weather in much of the USA is the same as what we get in Canada. Alaska gets northern Canadian weather and everything along the border is pretty much the same in both countries. It would be wonderful to have a province with hot weather year-round like Hawaii or Florida though. I vaguely remember something about the Turks and Caicos islands wanting to become a Canadian province at one point - but the government turned them down.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:09 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
Way too broad of questions. Do you know how big and diverse each country is. It's too much of a generalization. Depends on where you live.
Healthcare: there is pros and cons to both systems. I've lived in both--had health issues in both--received top of the line care in both--but yes I did have to pay more in the states (well at all )
Weather: it all depends where you live. Someone in Michigan or Wisconsin might take the weather in Vancouver over theirs anyday. Whereas my mom in Edmonton would take my weather in Salt Lake anyday.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:37 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Health care.. way too many threads on this already.. lets not start that one again..

Weather.. again a few threads on it.. why a new one? Its obvious. In the winter people who like warm weather would say the southern US. People who like white powder would say Canada.

Justice system.. too broad..

Old 11-07-2010, 12:26 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,194 times
any more thoughts?

Old 11-07-2010, 01:13 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
health care and justice... not sure.

Weather? Absolutely!
I find it very annoying that nowhere in Canada has long, hot summers equivalent to South Carolina or Arizona.
Nowhere in Canada are days under 75 F impossible in July.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:30 PM

661 posts, read 1,251,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I find it very annoying that nowhere in Canada has long, hot summers equivalent to South Carolina or Arizona.
Back in the Trudeau days, the Turks and Caicos islands approached Canada to become a part of the country. Spectacular idea, all those $$$$$$ not leaving the country anymore. Of course the Cdn response was "We are not a colonial power" : smack::s mack:

Old 11-07-2010, 01:40 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
health care and justice... not sure.

Weather? Absolutely!
Nowhere in Canada are days under 75 F impossible in July.

But have you actually experienced an entire southern summer - with the max reaching 90 F or higher for days and weeks on end, with humidity to boot? If you have, and loved it, that's great - come on down, I've got a house to sell ya...LOL.

But seriously, it's the summers in both here and in Florida that I have so much difficulty with. A few warm, even hot, days are okay, if they're sprinkled here and there, but to have to endure that for months and months, it's not easy, even for life-long residents of the south. In some ways, AC makes it even more difficult to deal with the heat, as your body never really gets a chance to acclimate to the heat of the outdoors when it's necessary to venture outside. And for those folks who have thin blood and do okay with the summer heat often have difficulty in places like restaurants and retail establishments that keep their thermostats at the "polar bear" setting...lol.

Yeah, when it comes to summer in the south, you just can't win, especially since not everybody can lounge away their days by the pool sipping cool beverages..lol.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:47 PM

398 posts, read 732,850 times
Justice system? 1 out of 100 Americans are rotting away in a prison cell. I am not even kidding, this is the current statistic and it is getting worse. Prosecutorial misconduct is on the rise and they are not held accountable. Canada has a much better, more impartial, more even-handed and principled justice system than the U.S. does.

Health care... it's great in the U.S. if you're a millionaire. Middle-class or poor, not so much.

Weather might be Canada's only weak point, but I'd rather freeze in the winter than boil in the hot summer heat in the U.S. south.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:53 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,294 times
Health care and justice.. hell no.

Weather..... **** YES! Not Florida type though, LA type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada