Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:20 AM

45 posts, read 95,204 times

Advertisements

Why is Liberal MP Dan McTeague able to predict, week after week, gasoline price hikes or drops, often to the correct decimal point? I think it proves that the government sets the price of gas, and that it doesn't matter which party rules Canada, they're all in cahoots together. I also understand now why a lot of Canadians don't want to vote anymore; it's not worth the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 06:40 AM

78,545 posts, read 60,737,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneLondoner View Post
Why is Liberal MP Dan McTeague able to predict, week after week, gasoline price hikes or drops, often to the correct decimal point? I think it proves that the government sets the price of gas, and that it doesn't matter which party rules Canada, they're all in cahoots together. I also understand now why a lot of Canadians don't want to vote anymore; it's not worth the effort.
Most of the people complaining about gas prices in both Canada and the US are generally doing so out of raw ignorance of economics and financial markets coupled with a political axe to grind.

How long does it take to buy raw oil and then turn it into gasoline and sell it?
Know how the futures market works? Commodities?

You know that if you buy a dollars worth of gas, about 50cents winds up back in the governments pockets through taxes and fees, 45 cents goes to pay for extraction and process costs and the remaining nickle goes to profits for the various companies along the chain?

I think if you educate yourself on the topic you will at least be able to direct your anger correctly if you determine it's merited.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:18 AM

207 posts, read 749,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Most of the people complaining about gas prices in both Canada and the US are generally doing so out of raw ignorance of economics and financial markets coupled with a political axe to grind.

How long does it take to buy raw oil and then turn it into gasoline and sell it?
Know how the futures market works? Commodities?

You know that if you buy a dollars worth of gas, about 50cents winds up back in the governments pockets through taxes and fees, 45 cents goes to pay for extraction and process costs and the remaining nickle goes to profits for the various companies along the chain?

I think if you educate yourself on the topic you will at least be able to direct your anger correctly if you determine it's merited.

You are right about the Taxes and refining/crude oil cost, we all know know much the gov't pocket for ever liter of gas. But explain this, the oil company clained that they buy/sell oil in the international market despite that the oil is from Canada. When the CND$ goes Down and/or oil price goes UP, gas price at the pump eventually follow. However, CND$ have been gainning roughly 4-7% and Oil price have been dropping for a few months now, did you see the price being reflected at the pump???? when is the last time you see low 90 cents?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:42 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,306,892 times
Oil has only been down about a week, and even then it hasn't dropped that much in relative terms.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan85 View Post
You are right about the Taxes and refining/crude oil cost, we all know know much the gov't pocket for ever liter of gas. But explain this, the oil company clained that they buy/sell oil in the international market despite that the oil is from Canada. When the CND$ goes Down and/or oil price goes UP, gas price at the pump eventually follow. However, CND$ have been gainning roughly 4-7% and Oil price have been dropping for a few months now, did you see the price being reflected at the pump???? when is the last time you see low 90 cents?
Let's say you own a gas station and you buy a load of gas to sell. You just bought a load at $2.70 with the intention of selling it for $2.80 a gallon.

Over the next month, oil prices fall 20%.

What do you Mr. Gas Station Owner sell your gas for? $2.20? I don't think so.

You are also assuming that they make constant profits over the course of the year. Some industries make most of their profits in certain "busy seasons" while making just enough to cover expenses at other times of year.

Just lots and lots of things that can impact gas prices.

I'm not claiming to have all the answers, just explaining that there is certainly a lag between oil prices and gas prices and demand for gas can also throw a wrench into things as it's not always the same as demand for oil.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:18 PM

207 posts, read 749,081 times
You know that Mr. Gas actually price less that Mr. SHELL and Mr. ESSO eventhought Mr. Gas bought gas from Mr. SHELL and/or Mr. ESSO right.
But If Mr. Gas reduce the price too much Mr. Shell and Mr. Esso will not be very happy, and you know what happen when they're not happy.
Talk about "busy seasons", how many times in a year did you hear the reasons for higher gas price? Oh! it Winter Season high demand, Oh! its Summer Season high demand, Its the long weekend high demand.
US Canadian are being rape at the pump by both the oil comp and the gov't and there is nothing we can do about it, just hate when they BS about the price.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:07 PM

My original question was about how a Liberal MP has insider information regarding the pricing practices of an industry that is mostly anti-Liberal(how many Liberal MP's does Calgary have?), Mr. Mathguy, but now I have to respond to your personal attack.
Economics (of which I am not ignorant) is beautiful in theory; in practice it is bulls**t. The grocery business and real estate are the closest things to free-market, supply&demand entities left in Canada today, but we don't see Dan McTeague predicting the prices of bananas, macaroni, or duplexes every week to the correct penny. So what's up with that?
My anger is my business: I'm like thousands of other Canadians in the sense that I'm tired of spending $70 a week on gasoline so I can drive to keep my job, which happens to be in rural areas not served by wonderful public transit. Also, have you noticed how anger fuels politics? THat's just the way it is, it's what makes people interested in it. I'll bet it doesn't bother you when Michael Ignatieff or Jack Layton have their red-faced rants on the floor of the House of Commons whenever they are asking about Omar Khadr or (boo hoo) Afghan detainees.
Bottom line: a textbook knowledge of economics is meaningless if an oil/MP conspiracy is going to continue to rip-off the voters. The three big parties in Canada are all the same from my blue-collar perspective: they're all worthless.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneLondoner View Post
My original question was about how a Liberal MP has insider information regarding the pricing practices of an industry that is mostly anti-Liberal(how many Liberal MP's does Calgary have?), Mr. Mathguy, but now I have to respond to your personal attack.
Economics (of which I am not ignorant) is beautiful in theory; in practice it is bulls**t. The grocery business and real estate are the closest things to free-market, supply&demand entities left in Canada today, but we don't see Dan McTeague predicting the prices of bananas, macaroni, or duplexes every week to the correct penny. So what's up with that?
My anger is my business: I'm like thousands of other Canadians in the sense that I'm tired of spending $70 a week on gasoline so I can drive to keep my job, which happens to be in rural areas not served by wonderful public transit. Also, have you noticed how anger fuels politics? THat's just the way it is, it's what makes people interested in it. I'll bet it doesn't bother you when Michael Ignatieff or Jack Layton have their red-faced rants on the floor of the House of Commons whenever they are asking about Omar Khadr or (boo hoo) Afghan detainees.
Bottom line: a textbook knowledge of economics is meaningless if an oil/MP conspiracy is going to continue to rip-off the voters. The three big parties in Canada are all the same from my blue-collar perspective: they're all worthless.
Ok, I'm all ears. Can you present a case to me showing how exactly what he is doing? Refer me to some sort of source or something?

So far it's just this vague accusation and you must have seen some sort of facts that are influencing your opinion.

P.S. I find it hard to believe that gas prices are uniform enough in canada that anyone can make a single prediction and be *right*. They vary by pennies just within 5 miles of my house.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan85 View Post
You know that Mr. Gas actually price less that Mr. SHELL and Mr. ESSO eventhought Mr. Gas bought gas from Mr. SHELL and/or Mr. ESSO right.
But If Mr. Gas reduce the price too much Mr. Shell and Mr. Esso will not be very happy, and you know what happen when they're not happy.
Talk about "busy seasons", how many times in a year did you hear the reasons for higher gas price? Oh! it Winter Season high demand, Oh! its Summer Season high demand, Its the long weekend high demand.
US Canadian are being rape at the pump by both the oil comp and the gov't and there is nothing we can do about it, just hate when they BS about the price.
You just committed a war crime against the english language.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:06 PM

No, I guess I can't present a case in your intellectual court/ivory tower; that's why I started the thread in the first place-so that other working stiffs like myself might respond, but I forgot that they are too busy at their jobs so only persons interested in grammar and syntax are answering.
As for facts, I don't need them. Would you disagree with me if I say that thousands of Canadians think that the politicians are screwing them big time? Will facts change their minds? No. That's why more and more voters stay away at election time. Let me give an example of how facts don't matter: most people today are convinced that Stephen Harper is responsible for any wrongdoing by the Can. military in Afghanistan, even though the FACT is that Jean Chretien sent the troops there in the first place. THe Liberals and NDP hope the voters don't know the truth or are too stupid to care, but that is the subject of a different thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada