Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 04:17 PM

45 posts, read 95,119 times

Advertisements

It's the 2nd day of April and the temperature across most of S. Ontario is 23-26 degrees C. Why do so many people insist on still driving with snow tires on, leave their Christmas lights attached to their eavestroughs, and keep their plywood hockey rinks intact in backyards? If we profess to hate the lengths of winters so much then why do winter symbols persist the rest of the year? I mean, where I live ( in London) the city looks slovenly enough without these additions. Are people just lazy? Or am I expecting too much? Is anyone else across Canada bothered by this? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 04:21 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,690 times
Perhaps it's just something you see in your neck of the woods in Ontario? Nobody even owns snow tires here in Vancouver. What's an eavestrough? Plywood hockey rinks? Doesn't sound like the Canada over here.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:27 PM

An eavestrough is sometimes called a gutter; it channels rainwater from roofs through a down-spout. It can also have electrical cords fastened to it.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:10 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneLondoner View Post
It's the 2nd day of April and the temperature across most of S. Ontario is 23-26 degrees C. Why do so many people insist on still driving with snow tires on, leave their Christmas lights attached to their eavestroughs, and keep their plywood hockey rinks intact in backyards? If we profess to hate the lengths of winters so much then why do winter symbols persist the rest of the year? I mean, where I live ( in London) the city looks slovenly enough without these additions. Are people just lazy? Or am I expecting too much? Is anyone else across Canada bothered by this? Just wondering.
People here still have snow tires on, but there's bound to be a late season snow storm. Happens every year, right when you think winter's behind you.

And I've never known anybody with a backyard hockey rink. They have them in schoolyards, and they're permanent and well built. They were good for shinny in the summer.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:44 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,568 times
I've never owned snow tires, there is just no need here.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:52 PM

250 posts, read 642,975 times
I keep my snowtires on until May long weekend....but I am skier.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:40 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,294 times
Plywood hockey rinks and Christmas lights? Haven't seen either in months. And this is like our second warm weekend of the year, it's never been this warm in late March/early April anyways.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Plywood hockey rinks and Christmas lights? Haven't seen either in months. And this is like our second warm weekend of the year, it's never been this warm in late March/early April anyways.
How I envy Toronto and Vancouver. Trust me, things are different here in S.W. Ont.- It's Canada's Appalacia. I guess you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneLondoner View Post
It can snow in Canada even in June. You don't remove the winter stuff until Canada Day on July 1st. Then, in 2 months, you have to put it back up again because it can begin to snow in September! So why bother?

Old 04-09-2010, 07:30 PM

16 posts, read 73,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
I've never owned snow tires, there is just no need here.

haha I was in Vancouver taking care of my mom most of '09 plus December '08 and sure did see a lot of cars slamming into each other though the Dec '08 snow storm, sans-snow-tires. .. But I never used snow tires all the time I lived there either (come to think of it, I seldom owned an umbrella in all my 42 Vancouver years, either).. Also never had so much as heard of a car block-heater until we moved to Skatch... never mind double/triple paned windows.

And I've been hearing about all that hot weather back east.. But at the moment all I care about here is that it's not going to be any 30-below for another 7 or 9 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada