Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:16 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
I used an online serives (Compare Insurance Quotes, Mortgage Rates & More. Save Money Today! - www.kanetix.ca) to compare companies. I got quotes from Belairdirect, RBC Insurance, and Jevco (I don't know if those are well-known companies in Canada)

I went back and changed a few options around, and the only one that made a significant impact and brought the annual premium down to $ 1,750 was how long I had had a G class driver's license. I initially said less than one month (a realistic situation for a new immigrant), although my US driving record dates back to 1999. I then changed the date of my first G license to 1999 on the online form, and that's when the premium changed. Obviously, that was only a test, i.e., I cannot claim that date during a real transaction.

I know I can exchange my US license for a Canadian, G class one, but my Canadian driving record will still only be a few days old when I shop for insurance. If the lenght of your Canadian driving record is so important when estimating your premium, I guess you cannot really get a decent premium when you are new to the country...

Yes you can if you spend the time to do things right.

You've been a licensed driver for 11 years -- here is what you do.

Before leaving the US, go to your local DMV and get a certified abstract of your complete driving record. Take those documents with you when you exchange your US license for an Ontario driving permit and you will be put into the system as an experienced driver for that length of time.

Driving experience and geographic location play a huge role in Ontario auto insurance rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 04:04 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times
You just need to check around - some companies will accept your out-of-country driving experience and some won't - when my husband was in Canada it was the same situation - the company I was with wouldn't recognise his driving experience from the UK so we switched companies to one that did. Check around and bring the abstract that Cornerguy mentioned.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:43 AM

22 posts, read 87,535 times
@rgpg_99, I don't think it's going to be THAT high. However, did you check with your would-be insurance provider in Canada if they are going to give credit to your driving history (assuming it's clean so that it works to your advantage) in the USA?
To others: Do the insurance providers in either countries give value to one's clean driving history on the other side of the border?

Old 04-15-2010, 10:01 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMERSUS View Post
To others: Do the insurance providers in either countries give value to one's clean driving history on the other side of the border?
Some insurance companies do, some don't.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:47 AM

141 posts, read 752,337 times
Or you could just keep the car registered in NY and pay NY's lower registration and insurance rates. Jumping though the legal hoops to import a car is a pain anyway.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:20 AM

75 posts, read 574,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post
Or you could just keep the car registered in NY and pay NY's lower registration and insurance rates. Jumping though the legal hoops to import a car is a pain anyway.

I second this. Such an old car won't pass Canadian Safety inspection or will cost $$$ to pass including additional $$ for the daytime running lights modification which is a must.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:35 AM

22 posts, read 87,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Some insurance companies do, some don't.
Thanks! Do you know the companies that do?

Old 04-15-2010, 02:21 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post
I thought of that (keeping the NY registration). GEICO does issue a Canada Travel insurance card, which covers your car in Canada. But as far as I understand you can only be in Toronto for 30 days or so before you have to transfer your registration to that city. How strongly is that enforced?

Old 04-15-2010, 02:24 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titan5576 View Post
I second this. Such an old car won't pass Canadian Safety inspection or will cost $$$ to pass including additional $$ for the daytime running lights modification which is a must.
What is the "daytime running lights modification"? Is it like japanese motorcycles, that have to run with the headlights on all the time (as per Japanese road safety standards)?

Old 04-15-2010, 03:15 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
What is the "daytime running lights modification"? Is it like japanese motorcycles, that have to run with the headlights on all the time (as per Japanese road safety standards)?

Yup.

Importing a vehicle comes with a set of headaches all its own.

The Canadian agency responsible for handling importation standards can be found at Registrar of Imported Vehicles

You'll find all the requirements there -- be aware that you'll also have to deal with US customs to export your vehicle.

Might be better to just buy another clunker here......we have lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada