Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 8,654 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I was hoping you could answer some questions about residency after marriage. First of all I would like to point out that I am a canadian citizen who has lived in canada all his life and I have been in a very serious relationship with a woman who is a Philippino citizen but has been a resident of US for most of her life with a green card.

The first question I was wondering about is that she is considered a permanent resident in both the philippines and in america. If we get married in Canada will she lose permanent resident status in either of those places? Will the marriage in canada effect her citizenship in the philippines or even her green card in america at all?

Secondly, I know that to become a permanent resident of a country you are required to go through a lot of paperwork and spend at least 12-18 months in the country. My question is that if we both went through that process, is it possible to become a permanent resident of -both- Canada and the United states?

Third, I am very interested in dual citizenship in america and canada. However, she is not a citizen of america at this time. What type of process would we have to go through in order to gain dual citizenship in that type of situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 02:35 PM

26 posts, read 307,439 times
it's better your girl friend can apply the US citizenship. then in that case, if you marry her, you can apply green card through a long process. all other concerns you have are out of issues. however i guess how to get the green card through the marriage is the issue you really have.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:41 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,756,009 times
So, your basic goal is for your lady friend to become a Permanent Resident of Canada and for you to gain PR status in the US.

Actually, most people obtain their Canadian PR status while residing in their original country of residence. I believe Canada currently requires citizens of the Phillipines to have a visa before entering Canada. I am unsure as to whether your friend's PR status in the US would mitigate this requirement.

For definitive Canadian information see the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site at: Welcome Page | Page d'acceuil

You should probably use the 800 number on the site and speak in person with an Immigration official about your atypical situation.

As far as you gaining status in the US, I believe your lady would first have to become a US citizen. She could then sponsor you for a fiance visa which would allow the 2 of you to marry in the US. You could then begin the long road to status in the US.

For information about the US aspect, please consult the US Citzenship and Immigration Service web site at : USCIS Home Page

Old 06-17-2007, 12:42 PM

384 posts, read 1,710,537 times
Last I remembered, your Philipino girlfriend cannot stay out of the country for too long to maintain her American Residency.Considering that she is NOT an American citizen, it will be a long time for you to get your permanent residency in America. I believe in "my opinion" that it is best to marry her there as it would be more easier for her to get her residency in Canada. If and when she files for her American Citizenship, you can apply for citizenship after three years of marriage. Keep in mind, that immigration laws are changing more and more due to the illegal marriages and increased acts of terroism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada