Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 06:36 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times

Advertisements

It's been a while since I've been around these parts...busy with work and commuting to Vancouver on a just-about-weekly basis. Hope everyone is doing well here.

The title says it all. (Quite vague though, eh?) I'm at a crossroads in my life at this point, and I'm looking at all ideas and options. One of those options is to try to make the move across the border.

I've been with my boyfriend for just over 4 years now (since February 2006), and I've probably made about 100 trips across the border during that time. (We curl on the weekends during the winter.) I don't think anyone with a brain would look at this as anything but a committed relationship. Which brings me to the first issue...

If this was not an international relationship, I'm sure that we would have been at least living together by now. With the border between us, the question arises...would I be able to just live with him, or would we have to get *gasp* married? And, does marriage make the road that much easier?

As far as work goes, I am a licensed attorney (from back east), and *crosses fingers* will be licensed here in Washington come October. I would like to take the BC bar at some point as well. If we do get married, how long would I have to wait until I can work up there, without a sponsorship? And, until that point, would I be able to commute back into the States to work?

Obviously, I want to do things by the book with this, as my biggest fear would be to be stuck on one side of the border or the other. (Though I adore my bf, and Vancouver, and all of the friends that I've made up there, my family is still down here...)

Although it's not an awfully long trip, it has become rather old, and I'm not sure how much longer I can handle it. Hence, the questions. Any help would be appreciated. Not only links to the official websites, but also anecdotes.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 10:38 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Welcome back, michigas73.

I thought you'd have the official web site URL burned into your brain, but here it is Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

You'll just love pouring over the endless pages of legalese.

Information about practicing law in BC can be found here: The Law Society of BC

I believe CIC recognizes relationships over a certain period of time as being equal to marriage for immigration purposes, but one would have to prove that you, as a couple, had met all the requirements to fulfill a common-law relationship. If I recall correctly, one of the standards is cohabiting for a 1-year period which might be difficult for you to do.

There are 2 avenues for spousal sponsorship: from outside Canada and from within Canada.

CIC makes it pretty clear that if a Permanent Resident applicant leaves Canada before their application is approved, there is no guarantee they will be allowed to re-enter the country. Of course, no one except a Canadian citizen or PR is guaranteed entry, so this doesn't mean you'll be barred from entering, just that you have no absolute right of re-entry.

You could marry, apply from outside Canada, continue to work in WA until such time as your PR application is approved, and then "land" and be able to work immediately. You could still make your visits to see your poopsie-pie.

OR

You marry, apply from within Canada, not be able to work immediately in Canada, and take your chances crossing the border.

If either of you have been divorced outside of BC, please check to see if your out-of-province divorce will be acceptable-- you may have to provide special assurance in the form of legal opinion on the validity of the divorce before being granted a marriage license.

Either way you go, it's the typical government cluster-bunch of forms, fees, and hurry up and wait.

Have fun.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:21 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
thanks Cornerguy. I guess I was hoping for some way not to have a waiting period in-between getting married and being able to work. I totally understand the need to go through the PR application process, but it seems to me that I should be able to (some way) live with him and be able to bring in an income at the same time. It's not like I'd be taking a job away from a Canadian by doing that...

I'm sure that this is the same song you've heard many times before. It just seems ultimately very silly to me for us to be maintaining two households at this point in time.

Thanks again for your quick response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada