Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 05:37 AM

7 posts, read 20,867 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

I would like to know the benefits or the down side of working as a CONTRACT as against say a FULL TIME PERMANENT or PART-TIMER or a TEMPORARY Worker in any of the Canadian Provinces?
Please somebody throw some light on this

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
With the contract you are looking for a new job when the contract is up.
Usually you dont receive any of the company benefits if you are on contact.
If there is any seniority involved within the company the contractor wont be a part of it.
Basically you'll be a hired outsider until your contract ends.
Not much security for the future.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:00 AM

7 posts, read 20,867 times
Thanks Jambo101 for the reply.
But what about the taxation? I heard one doesn't need to pay any tax at all? Is it TRUE?
Also it's seems one is paid higher when working as a contract employee?
Is it worth going in for a contract employee than as a full time permanent employee?

Thanks for you're time and response in advance

Old 05-31-2010, 12:25 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,563 times
You still have to pay income tax - it's just not deducted by the employer. You also have to register to collect GST and add GST to your bills. Put your estimated taxes & GST aside and pay quarterly. You will also have to pay both the employer and employee portion of Canada Pension Plan contributions. The upside is that you can deduct expenses to reduce net income but if you are sitting a desk at the employer's office (as opposed to working from a home office) you will have limited expenses to deduct.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:48 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
One major factor on the downside will be that, as a self-employed individual, you'll also be required to pay both the employee and employer portion of Employment Insurance contributions if you decide to enroll in that federal program.

If you don't enroll, you will not have recourse to Employment Insurance payments or programs if you suddenly find yourself without a contract and unemployed.

Think about it -- if an employer is telling you it's such a great deal to be a contract worker, why is he telling you that? It couldn't possibly be for the employer's benefit, could it?

Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchakus View Post
Also it's seems one is paid higher when working as a contract employee?
You definitely should get paid more as a contractor as your pay should make up for the benefits you don't get as a permanent - paid sick days, paid vacation & public holidays, etc. When I lived in Vancouver I quit my permanent position and then worked contract afterwards. My hourly rate was almost double as a contractor. I loved it but then I wasn't worried about job security and my spouse's job came with the medical, dental and other benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchakus View Post
Is it worth going in for a contract employee than as a full time permanent employee?
It may. Sometimes employers hire contractors to "try before they buy". The company I worked for in Vancouver did that, as they do here in Australia. It's easier to cancel your contract if you don't work out than get rid of a hopeless permanent employee. It's a gamble but if it's all you can get and you need the money, why turn down a contract job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada