Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:49 AM

15 posts, read 26,204 times

Advertisements

I most likely have cervical cancer according to the gynecologist. I have been referred out to an oncologist. Does anyone have advice for me? I have not heard anything about the stage that it is in or a treatment plan. Everything is vague and limited at this point. Also there is some bleeding everyday. I am concerned about that. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 03:16 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
Breast cancer survivor here. I can't help with specific advise. I do suggest you read up on everything you can find about it so you are prepared to ask your doctor questions. You need to find out what type of biopsy they will perform, and what the results are. Do not scare yourself to death. Useless advise, I know from experience it happens anyway. Get information, then read up and get more information from your doctor. If you need a shoulder to cry on, I'm here and so are several other of the girls that post around here. Best wishes.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanlady View Post
I most likely have cervical cancer according to the gynecologist. I have been referred out to an oncologist. Does anyone have advice for me? I have not heard anything about the stage that it is in or a treatment plan. Everything is vague and limited at this point. Also there is some bleeding everyday. I am concerned about that. Thank you.
First of all, I know what a horrible thing this is to hear, my heart goes out to you. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt as they say. I was fortunate, in that mine was noninvasive. That is to say, the cells were limited to the outer edges of the cervix. Cone biopsy removed the infected area, leaving me with 2/3 of my cervix intact. I didn't need radical surgery of any kind, and they got it all in the first try. Painful recovery, but after a couple of weeks I was back to my old self.

The bleeding -usually- indicates the cancer has progressed further than just the outer edges of the cervix. Yours might be that, or it might be completely unrelated to the cancer. Your doctors will be able to tell and inform you further.

Hysterectomy is usually done for cervical cancer that has progressed too deeply for limited-invasive surgeries (such as cryosurgery or laser to freeze or burn only the infected spots). The downside to that, is that you wouldn't be able to get pregnant. Chemo and radiation are usually reserved for much more progressive, and progressed, forms of cervical cancer.

Fortunately, the lesser, noninvasive cancer is the most common. So odds are, they'll just have cut a little plug out of the cervix and you'll be back to normal a few weeks later, with no change in your current state of fertility (whatever it happens to be).

Also, it's important to know that HPV might have had a role in your diagnosis. It is the most common cause of cervical cancer. It isn't the only cause, and not all types of cervical cancer are caused by HPV. But if yours is, you'll want your partner(s) to know, and to get tested.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I worked with a woman who had Stage 4 cancer, but not sure if ovarian, uterine, or cervical. 8 yrs later she is doing fine. Recovery is possible! I have a friend who had surgery early this year for Stage 1 uterine cancer and she is fine, no treatment but surgery.

Please don't borrow tomorrow's troubles today. Try meditation and exercise and stay as positive as possible. Good luck!

Old 12-11-2010, 06:13 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Read up before going into visit. Also bring a notebook. Take notes, ask questions, ask for copies of labs.

Be prepared for a long ride, it can sometimes be miserable. It is okay to be scared. And the feelings you are feeling are normal. It is okay to have those feelings and emotions. And never ever ever give up.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:25 PM

15 posts, read 26,204 times
I was referred to an oncologist. But how do I know if I can trust the doctor? I need ideas for second opinions? What to look for in a good quality doctor? How not to get scammed etc.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:42 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanlady View Post
I was referred to an oncologist. But how do I know if I can trust the doctor? I need ideas for second opinions? What to look for in a good quality doctor? How not to get scammed etc.
I generally do a google search. They often will list education, med school, residency, fellowships etc reviews are online. It might might list studies they have performed, papers they have wrote etc.

Ask around too. You might be surprised who has had dealings with that doctor.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:01 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
God bless you Womanlady,i will pray for you

Dont lose hope... We are here for you!!

Old 12-12-2010, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,854 times
yes, my heart and prayers goes out to you Womenlady. I know of a mushroom drink called gambucha. Not sure of the the spelling, anyways I heard it's go for cancer, diabetes etc.. Kind of hard to find know, see if you can do some research and let me know. I told a friend of mine the same thing she has pre cancer from HPV. She found out that she HPV while she was pregnant, doctors told her not to worry that sometimes HPV will go away. Now her daughter is 2 yrs old and she found out that it is pre cancer after a biopsy. She's really scared and just want to be led and the right direction. She said her doctor is not giving much advice and is acting like it's not a big deal.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:50 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Welcome to the site actractive one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer