U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:29 PM

574 posts, read 1,867,334 times

Advertisements

If so, could you please tell me about your experience, and be honest! My lumpectomy is scheduled for this Wednesday at 1:30 and my SNB will be done that morning at the hospital. I want to be mentally prepared. Thanks!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 01:53 AM

7,290 posts, read 17,465,957 times
I've had a biopsy. Pick yourself up and deal with it. Tell yourself to get through it. It's something you've got to do - do it and get it over with.
You just need to be mentally prepared whether you feel like it or not. It's hard to say but just do it.

I'm thinking this sounds cold but it's gotta be done so face the fact. Every test I've been through, I buck up and try to think good thoughts.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:02 AM

7,290 posts, read 17,465,957 times
Think about thousands of others that have been through this and have survived. That's what I did.
The way I got mentally prepared was to think of the survival of others and how much I wanted to survive.
I prayed to God. If you do the same, pray that He be with you and bring you through.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:29 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,469,085 times
They took me in and injected something into my nipple. I can't remember, I think it's done an hour or two before surgery? It's a two step injection procedure, but the second step is done after you are under. It is somewhat painful, but not terribly so. I had bilateral mastectomy so I didn't have an armpit incision (or if I did I never found it?) but you will have one with a lumpectomy. One step injects the radiation stuff, the second step injects the dye. Your surgeon will identify and remove the Sentinel Node along with any other radioactive nodes; they will be sent to pathology while your surgeon removes your lump. If all the nodes are cancerous your surgeon will remove more - probably all. I had 3 of 9 nodes positive for cancer. They try to remove as few nodes as possible yet still get all the cancerous nodes out.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM

3,702 posts, read 16,555,899 times
I had a skin sparing mastechtomy and they had to do the additional cut under the armpit for the sentinal nodes. Didn't feel anything since I was out at the time. The only irritant afterward (aside from the drains) was issues with shaving under my arm for a while. I have partial numbness under my arm, cannot tell if it was from the mastechtomy, the biposy or both but you get used to it.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:06 AM

11,867 posts, read 22,114,117 times
The newest issue of Cure Magazine has a lot of info on breast cancer. They have a small patient guide that says Progress & promise In Breast cancer 2010. An article called When Less Is best in Breast Surgery- it talks about sentinel node biopsy.

If you have a digital reader program; you can read the magazine.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 AM

38,418 posts, read 47,291,407 times
As you know, if your sentinel node is negative, they assume that the cancer has not spread to the lymphnodes. My sentinel node was positive, so i had to have both chemo and radiation. I presume you will have radiation following your lumpectomy?
IF your sentinel node is positive, they may want to go in and remove more lymph nodes. This type of surgery is what causes women the most trouble as far as lymphedema and nerve damage. There are new statistics out which found that this type of surgery is not statistically necessary.
Good luck!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:16 AM

11,867 posts, read 22,114,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
As you know, if your sentinel node is negative, they assume that the cancer has not spread to the lymphnodes. My sentinel node was positive, so i had to have both chemo and radiation. I presume you will have radiation following your lumpectomy?
IF your sentinel node is positive, they may want to go in and remove more lymph nodes. This type of surgery is what causes women the most trouble as far as lymphedema and nerve damage. There are new statistics out which found that this type of surgery is not statistically necessary.
Good luck!
That's what the article I linked to is about. I haven't read the whole thing yet

Old 02-24-2011, 12:18 PM

38,418 posts, read 47,291,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
That's what the article I linked to is about. I haven't read the whole thing yet
Very good article, Roselvr.
I am so glad that I didn't let them go carve out some more of my lymph nodes because of a wee little speck in my sentinel node. it just felt like overkill to me.

The article is also repeated on the Dr. Susan Love website.

Last edited by gentlearts; 02-24-2011 at 12:48 PM..

Old 02-26-2011, 06:20 PM

410 posts, read 714,690 times
I had lumpectomy and axillary node dissection (where they took out 2/3 of my lymph nodes because my sentinel tested some positive ones) on Wednesday and returned to work the following Thursday. It really was not too bad at all. I had a drain for about 2 weeks, but went to work with it (under a big shirt).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or