Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:30 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

That's fair. How is her jaw? That was the worst side effect for steroids for me - I roid raged THEN clenched and ground my jaw all night. So much pain. Sooo sooo much pain. A cheapo plastic drug store mouth guard that you boil and then mold to your mouth was a lifesaver for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 01:32 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Her jaw is ok. When she gets stressed she locks up her neck. This is probably because she could barely move her neck for about 3 weeks between the biopsy and port surgery, which was also the most stressful time. That's her outlet I guess. A heating pad works wonders!!

Old 04-15-2012, 01:55 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Default What to do with all this free time?

So my girlfriend is hopefully closing in on her final weeks of treatment and we're all praying we can say goodbye to this thing for good!! The doc wants to minimize treatment so that she has the best chance for a long, healthy life. Her odds are already very very good and her treatment has worked as well as any of us could have hoped.

Upon getting this good news though, we've hit another problem. I think this is going to be the last problem we run into. She's unable to work during treatment, so she's having a crisis of boredom. She craves some sort of productive engagement. Combine this craving with wonky emotions from her meds and you get a person who is rather sad all the time (not depressed though). Sad enough that we see some tears almost every day. On the weekends when I don't have to work we keep busy all day and have a blast, but during the week she goes crazy out of boredom. It doesn't help that she's afraid to go most places because she doesn't want to catch a cold.

So, any suggestions out there? Any fun hobbies that can keep her busy during these last couple weeks? The fear of ending up in the hospital just from catching a cold is the obstacle here. Anything home-based or at least not crowded? she wants to be productive and I would suggest she learn something like a new language. I think learning an instrument would be PERFECT for her but she's completely un-musical and progress is generally so slow that she would give it up without instruction. Thoughts?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
How about knitting? THere are numerous how-to videos on YouTube - a friend of mine just taught herself using them. She could make a hat, scarf, etc.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:45 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I worked full time through treatment for Hodgkin's, but I was bored out of my mind on chemo days and my "chemo weekends". I taught myself basic sign language and picked up programming.

Learn to code | Codecademy makes it super easy to pick up coding. You learn by example and can pick up where you left off - no need to remember what the last thing you did was. It's a fantastic program.

I also blogged extensively and got very involved in advocacy work during recovery (when I was still too tired to do much of anything besides go to work and crawl into bed for 6 months).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer