Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:11 AM

770 posts, read 1,797,452 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My father, who is 51 years of age, has liver cancer and is bad shape. He can still walk and get around on his own, but he is in constant pain, vomits several times a day and has the yellow coloration of his skin.

I don't know how he became ill with the disease, but after seeing numerous doctors, they said that it is too far advanced for them to do anything for him. Because of a blood condition that my father has, no doctor can operate on him b/c he will bleed to death (i.e. he can't clot properly. They can't even do radiation treatments on him. The doctors are, at this point focused on making him comfortable (i.e. giving him medical care and medication at home for the pain).

So my question is, does anyone know of any kind of medication or something that is out there that my dads doctors didn't know about that could at least treat his condition? I feel so bad for my father. If there was something that I could do myself to help him get better, I would.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 12:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
The best thing you can do is to get hospice services for him. We are not experts, just people who have gone through some of the same things, either ourselves or with loved ones. Hospice does an AMAZING job of keeping the patient comfortable and the family comforted. They did a lot for my mother when she was dying. So sorry about your dad.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Hi all,

My father, who is 51 years of age, has liver cancer and is bad shape. He can still walk and get around on his own, but he is in constant pain, vomits several times a day and has the yellow coloration of his skin.

I don't know how he became ill with the disease, but after seeing numerous doctors, they said that it is too far advanced for them to do anything for him. Because of a blood condition that my father has, no doctor can operate on him b/c he will bleed to death (i.e. he can't clot properly. They can't even do radiation treatments on him. The doctors are, at this point focused on making him comfortable (i.e. giving him medical care and medication at home for the pain).

So my question is, does anyone know of any kind of medication or something that is out there that my dads doctors didn't know about that could at least treat his condition? I feel so bad for my father. If there was something that I could do myself to help him get better, I would.

I know this is hard on the entire family but the best you can do is follow the orders of his doctors. They are usually very compasionate, understanding and will do the best they can to make your dad comfortable.

SouthernbelleinUtah suggested you talk to hospice, I am 100% in agreement with her. She has been though this, most of us here have as well, and hospice is the best way to face what is ahead for your father. There really isn't much else that can be done.

Prayers to you and your family

Nita

Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,389 times
I am so sorry. Your Dad's doctor is almost certainly knowledgeable and skilled in treating cancer. Sometimes there just isn't a treatment. By your description it sounds like a lot of your Dads liver is involved. I wish I could tell you of a secret miracle treatment. I wish there was one.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:54 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,167,069 times
I'm so sorry about your father. Sometimes there's nothing more you can do other than comfort care. Hospice is good at this; a really good one will care for you and your family as much as it will your father.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:15 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,200 times
If it's not already too late and you would rather not pack him off to hospice just yet, and wish to take the fight the full distance if there is nothing more that can be done by the medical profession, your only option now it seems would be to look outside of mainstream.

Google 'electromedicine' and 'silver'. If you choose to do something, these are two areas you could look into. Remember, there will be no miracle cure, but at least you'll have given it your best shot by looking further afield. Whatever you may choose to look into, research it and study it well.

I have a similar mindset, I'd rather try *anything* than just do nothing if, or when, I may find myself in a similar situation. Hope you're strong enough to withstand the criticism you will receive if you choose to look outside of mainstream though.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 PM

39 posts, read 79,330 times
Default Hospice

As a hospice nurse, I would say your father has advanced liver disease with jaundice already presenting itself. The vomiting is due to the disease. I HOPE your father's doctors have offered hospice services to him if it is available. Since he is young, and probably doesn't have Medicare, you would have to look at his private insurance to see if it is covered. Hospice just means comfort measures when a condition is uncurable. Your father should have comfort meds already ordered for him even if he does't have hospice services through his insurance. Comfort meds are liquid concentrated meds for pain, anxiety, nausea and vomiting, agitation and terminal secretions. He should be able to at least have nursing visits and home health aide assistance even under " palliative care". You should ask your dad what his wishes are. Maybe he doesn't want any more treatment and just wants to be comfortable. If he has hospice benefits, he will get nursing, home health aides, spiritual counselors, social worker and other varied support services. Hospice also covers YOU as a family member, to help you cope now and in the future. Best of luck to you and your dad for comfort and peace.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3ct View Post
As a hospice nurse, I would say your father has advanced liver disease with jaundice already presenting itself. The vomiting is due to the disease. I HOPE your father's doctors have offered hospice services to him if it is available. Since he is young, and probably doesn't have Medicare, you would have to look at his private insurance to see if it is covered. Hospice just means comfort measures when a condition is uncurable. Your father should have comfort meds already ordered for him even if he does't have hospice services through his insurance. Comfort meds are liquid concentrated meds for pain, anxiety, nausea and vomiting, agitation and terminal secretions. He should be able to at least have nursing visits and home health aide assistance even under " palliative care". You should ask your dad what his wishes are. Maybe he doesn't want any more treatment and just wants to be comfortable. If he has hospice benefits, he will get nursing, home health aides, spiritual counselors, social worker and other varied support services. Hospice also covers YOU as a family member, to help you cope now and in the future. Best of luck to you and your dad for comfort and peace.
Thanks for all you do for patients, I think hospice nurses and other employees are saints or close to it...

Nita

Old 04-28-2012, 06:50 PM

39 posts, read 79,330 times
Default Hospice

Thanks Nita, for your kindness

Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Hi all,

I'm sorry that your dad is going through this; it's not only hard on the patient; but the whole family; especially since he's still a young guy. I lost my dad to terminal cancer when he was in his late 60's; he had just retired after busting his butt all of his life. My hub was diagnosed with stage 4 oral cancer 3 years after my dad died; my hub was a few years older then your dad.

Where is your dad being treated? Is he at a small local clinic or a large university? It's possible this is the end of the line; but it's possible it is not. A guy on the cancer compass pancreatic cancer board lasted another year after they told him to go to hospice. He found a new Dr that would try other things. Part of the issue can be smaller places only see a few cases a year where larger places see a few a day.

Forum Resources: Research Liver Cancer Information Online Page # 1 sorted by date

If your dad does not have his affairs in order; he really needs to take care of this. A will; power of attorney; medical wishes. It was the 1st thing we did when my hub was diagnosed; so there was no question of his wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer