Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times

Advertisements

An interesting article with good info' and a happy ending.

BBC News - 'My girlfriend found my cancer'

"When William Gingell went to see his GP after finding a lump on one of his testicles, it was his girlfriend Lucy who had encouraged him to go.
"I wasn't too bothered really. It's the male nature I guess. We don't like to admit to these things and it's a bit of a personal area.""
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 06:00 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
An interesting article with good info' and a happy ending.

BBC News - 'My girlfriend found my cancer'

"When William Gingell went to see his GP after finding a lump on one of his testicles, it was his girlfriend Lucy who had encouraged him to go.
"I wasn't too bothered really. It's the male nature I guess. We don't like to admit to these things and it's a bit of a personal area.""
William was just 17 years old and was in his first year at university....

....William's experience is not unusual. Testicular cancer is the most common cancer in men aged between 15 and 45 years with just over 2,000 new cases a year.

Thank God his girlfriend made him go to another Dr. 17 seems young to have testicular cancer. I didn't know it's common in men from 15-45

Old 05-03-2012, 06:04 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
I was 27 when I first found testicular cancer. In the states there are about 9500 cases a year with a 95% survival rate.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Testicular cancer is one of the most common cancers for young men. It frustrates me to no end that there are all kinds of "feel your boobs" campaigns, but very little encouraging young men to examine their junk. As SD4020 said, it has a 95% survival rate - but early detection is key. A dear friend (and cancer nonprofit founder) fought testicular cancer twice - the second time involving MAJOR surgery to remove tumors from his spine. He's been clean 10 years - but the surgery might have been avoided had he caught it earlier by doing self exams.

People should all examine their breasts/balls, skin, and lymph nodes (particularly looking for anything in the armpits and collar bones) from as early as 15 to get a baseline understanding of their body, and be able to catch things early. It's so incredibly important, but not something that I ever really heard pushed to my peers.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:41 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
A link to another thread that is related to this. I started the new thread to try and raise the awareness of cancer in the young and to make more people aware of the good points that have already been raised on this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cance...ople-says.html

Thank you for what you've said so far, hopefully more people will become aware that cancer can appear in the young aswell as later in life.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:58 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
I had 3 surgeries related to testicular cancer. I also had 9 weeks of chemo. After 6 years I am at a point where I want to help others who are facing cancer and advocate for them, counsel or offer advise. I want to pay it forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer