Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,172 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I was scheduled for a biopsy and when the Doctor used his antiquated ultrasound machine that looks like something they used when I was pregnant with my first child 20 years ago, he looked around in the spot that was cited in the report for less than five minutes. Then, since he couldn't find the spot that he was asked to biopsy, he found another place where there is a fibroadenoma and decided to biopsy it.

Has this happened to anyone else? It happened so fast! I was the last patient of the day, the receptionist had long turned off her office light and was gone and I think I was in shock so I didn't know what to do or say. It was a strange experience to say the least and now, I'm worried that the original suspicious tumor is going unchecked. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 04:26 PM

304 posts, read 617,449 times
I am so sorry about your experience. I guess if I were you, I would seek another doctor if insurance will cover. If not, I would contact the doctor that recommended the first spot be biopsied and tell him/her what happened. Maybe he can light a fire under the other doctor.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I definitely would not go back there, ever.
I would call the insurance co and ask if you can get a "redone" or a second opinion, without them paying the first doctor bill. Depending on your insurance, sometimes they are very understanding about physicians mistakes and won't pay him or bill you for the procedure. Good luck. What a nightmare. Definitely don't just let it go. They found my b.c. in a biopsy.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:30 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalCyn View Post
Long story short, I was scheduled for a biopsy and when the Doctor used his antiquated ultrasound machine that looks like something they used when I was pregnant with my first child 20 years ago, he looked around in the spot that was cited in the report for less than five minutes. Then, since he couldn't find the spot that he was asked to biopsy, he found another place where there is a fibroadenoma and decided to biopsy it.

Has this happened to anyone else? It happened so fast! I was the last patient of the day, the receptionist had long turned off her office light and was gone and I think I was in shock so I didn't know what to do or say. It was a strange experience to say the least and now, I'm worried that the original suspicious tumor is going unchecked. Suggestions?
You need to do 2 things:

1. Find a different doctor to biopsy the correct area
2. Report the first doctor to the State and the AMA for incompetence.

There is no excuse for biopsying the wrong area - not in this day and age!

Old 03-12-2012, 02:51 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
ditto the above. Find a new surgeon ASAP to do the biopsy. Preferrably one that does breast biopsies frequently. You should meet with the surgeon for a consultation first, before the biopsy is scheduled, to ensure a good plan is in place, including where exactly the biopsy will occur.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:19 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
you might also consider reporting him to local cancer society.

Before you do anything, get copies of your medical records from both drs offices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer