Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,584,628 times

Advertisements

My Medical Choice

Quote:
My doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer, although the risk is different in the case of each woman. Only a fraction of breast cancers result from an inherited gene mutation. Those with a defect in BRCA1 have a 65% risk of getting it, on average. Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy. I started with the breasts, as my risk of breast cancer is higher than my risk of ovarian cancer, and the surgery is more complex.

I choose not to keep my story private because there are many women who do not know that they might be living under the shadow of cancer. It is my hope that they, too, will be able to get gene tested, and that if they have a high risk they, too, will know that they have strong options.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:33 AM

26,002 posts, read 22,198,629 times
Although this is not the choice I would have made, I am glad that she was able to make a choice that she is comfortable with.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:01 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,584,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Although this is not the choice I would have made, I am glad that she was able to make a choice that she is comfortable with.
It certainly is a very individual decision. 87% risk is pretty high though.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:00 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,505,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It certainly is a very individual decision. 87% risk is pretty high though.
That is very high risk. Gosh I can't imagine it but I think I might have done the same thing if it had been me. I wonder if she is going to have her ovaries removed or have a hysterectomy. She could always adopt more children if she wanted.

Has anyone here that that blood testing done that Angelina Jolie had?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:20 PM

15,877 posts, read 21,479,390 times
I have no breast or ovarian cancer in my family, so it's not worth it for me to get tested. However, if I tested positive for BRCA, I would absolutely opt for a double mastectomy and hysterectomy. I'm not sure if that would have been my choice before I was diagnosed with cancer, but I never, ever, ever want to go through that uncertainty again. Respect for Angelina and elevating this very difficult choice that many women are forced to make.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,888,912 times
ALthough there is no history in my family, I would absolutely do it if I had the BRCA genes. Kudos to her for giving it publicity.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:25 PM

4,491 posts, read 4,994,271 times
Thought it was interesting that she has kudos in this thead, but she gets bashed in another thread on this board.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:40 PM

593 posts, read 1,379,885 times
With her income, why not just get a breast exam every six months to one year? Makes me wonder why anyone would choose this course of action. Genetic predisposition does not mean you will get it, just means you are more likely to get it. Not to mention her genetic code from father's side.

Honestly, if I had genetic predisposition for testicular cancer, I wouldnt have them removed or go through treatment until I was diagnosed with it. Does not make sense to me.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,674,505 times
I had the same test today, it takes two weeks for the results.. tick tock...should I remove one or two... the test is the deciding factor.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:41 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,821,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post
With her income, why not just get a breast exam every six months to one year? Makes me wonder why anyone would choose this course of action. Genetic predisposition does not mean you will get it, just means you are more likely to get it. Not to mention her genetic code from father's side.

Honestly, if I had genetic predisposition for testicular cancer, I wouldnt have them removed or go through treatment until I was diagnosed with it. Does not make sense to me.
I went through chemo and radiation - if I found I had an 87% chance of getting breast cancer, I would have my breasts removed without a doubt. I don't want to go through that again, and frankly, my breasts aren't that important.

Additionally, I don't at all begrudge her for choosing to remove her breasts rather than get scans every six months for the rest of her life. It would be a lifetime of waiting for cancer, instead of just eliminating much of the chance of that cancer. Her mother battled cancer for ten years, and eventually died from it - I can understand Angelina not wanting to go through that (or wanting her kids to go through that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.