Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,869,572 times

Advertisements

Please keep the politics on P&OC and leave this thread to the medical aspects.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 12:04 AM

20,296 posts, read 37,224,520 times
Around the world the areas with the least number of prostate cancer are in central Asia. I wonder if green tea instead of hemp ingestion is the reason for the extremely low numbers of prostate cancer?

Just kidding folks

But if you want to take a look at types of cancers by regions:
ALL CANCERS DEATH RATE BY COUNTRY

Prostate cancer deaths. Please notice some very high rates of deaths in countries in tropical regions. Does vitamin D, and also helm growing wild come to mind?
http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/c...er/by-country/

Old 02-07-2014, 07:33 PM

142 posts, read 220,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
On my Hodgkin's support forum, there was a mother a few years back whose son had a rough time with his first chemo cycle. She cried all over the forum that the chemo would kill her son before the cancer (note: this chemo regime, while certainly uncomfortable, is not known to kill otherwise healthy patients). Instead, she moved out of the country (can't remember to which Central American country) and dosed him herself on cannabis oil.

He's dead now, never making it to adulthood. The rest of his "chemo class" (those who started chemo the same month as he did) are alive 4 years later. A handful have relapsed, but are doing OK post stem-cell transplant to deal with the relapse.

Despite trepidations about chemo, I'd rather (and did!) deal with that than dying because I refused a known cure. And prostate cancer has BETTER cure rates than my cancer! Across the board, regardless of staging, prostate cancer has a 99% 5 year, 98% 10 year, and 95% 15 year survival rate. Many older men do not need to pursue treatment because the cancer is often so slow growing that something else would probably kill you first. I understand resorting to extreme measures if you have relapsed or traditional therapies have failed you, but why waste time putzing around when front-line therapies are so successful?

You should be very skeptical when anything is claimed to "cure cancer." Cancer is an umbrella term covering hundreds of unique diseases. There isn't a silver bullet that cures ALL cancers, and there likely never will be.
Of course. There is no way to cure cancer, natural or otherwise. I wish people would just accept that.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:00 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,751,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
Of course. There is no way to cure cancer, natural or otherwise. I wish people would just accept that.

I agree.

( and I see Dr Oz proclaiming that there is a pill that............"really burns fat ")

PT Barnum says there is a sucker born every minute.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:07 PM

142 posts, read 220,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I agree.

( and I see Dr Oz proclaiming that there is a pill that............"really burns fat ")

PT Barnum says there is a sucker born every minute.
lol Like his "green coffee pills" he was promoting as a WLS? I have to be honest, I tried those as well as PGX and they did NOTHING. I only lose weight when I cook for myself and watch my portions.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:56 PM

15,875 posts, read 21,466,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
My cancer is likely cured - I won't be able to say that for certain for another 2 relapse-free years, but the odds are good. I know quite literally hundreds more that can say the same.

Cancer is not a monolith. There are HUNDREDS of cancers. My own cancer is considered rare with under 8000 a year in the US diagnosed, but there are 8 stages and 4 subtypes, resulting in quite a few different treatment protocols. And there are at least 4 standard lines of treatment if I was to relapse, of which any one would more than likely cure me based on the odds.

We can cure many individual cancers. Others we can effectively manage the disease, allowing people to live 2, 5, 10, even 15 years with their cancers, often with high and even normal quality of life. There are new drugs being developed all the time. There is no "cure" in the sense that there is no antidote. No protocol works for all people, even with the same individual cancer.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:15 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,766,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My cancer is likely cured - I won't be able to say that for certain for another 2 relapse-free years, but the odds are good.
I'm not convinced that anyone can declare themselves "cured" once they've had cancer. A friend of a friend was "cured" for 18 years before it came back.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:06 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,269,637 times
Mr. Chong is 76 years old, and was diagnosed with a "slow stage 1" prostate cancer.

There is a real good chance that someone with his diagnosis, particularly at his age, would never suffer and die of prostate cancer even if he did nothing at all.

The fact that he took massive doses of hash oil doesn't prove the efficacy of this protocol. I'd be more impressed to see the results of the hemp with stage 4 patients.

Further, if pot was so good at fighting prostate cancer, why would such a veteran head as Chong ever have to get the diagnosis in the first place. He was no stranger to this alleged cure, long before he was diagnosed.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:34 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,817,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I'm not convinced that anyone can declare themselves "cured" once they've had cancer. A friend of a friend was "cured" for 18 years before it came back.
You can't make lump sum blanket statements about cancer.

What fits for one cancer does not apply to another cancer.

Yes, after three years of follow ups post chemo, my oncologist made the pronouncement that I was indeed cured.

IF, and this is a big if cancer makes a return appearance, I will put up a hell of a fight. Did it once, I will do it again.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:47 AM

240 posts, read 240,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I looked up Tommy Chong since on our local CO news he says he has
no more prostatecancer after taking a massive dose of hemp oil.
Here is one link, but there are plenty...
Tommy Chong Beats Prostate Cancer with Hemp Oil and Proper Diet - Waking Times

What does "massive dose" mean?

We also have a local child, maybe 3, with no more cancer ....he was taking marijuana capsules
and his mom is being prosecuted bec the AMA says he needs chemo...she says, 'No way, and
I'm not kidding'....she is presently talking to 3 lawyers.
At what age should a person start getting checked ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer