Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:46 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,865,844 times

Advertisements

I guess I haven't heard those ads since I stay away from TV, but I get very upset when I walk into any store in October and the whole place is painted pink. It's just a big ad campaign to sell more stuff and the newest term for it is "pinkwashing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 05:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,349,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I guess I haven't heard those ads since I stay away from TV, but I get very upset when I walk into any store in October and the whole place is painted pink. It's just a big ad campaign to sell more stuff and the newest term for it is "pinkwashing."
When they did the biopsy, they inserted a titanium marker. My sister found out it was shaped like the pink ribbons. She was not happy. She felt like she was branded by a nonprofit organization that spends more money on salaries and overhead than cancer research. While looking for a picture to post, I found this blogger who felt branded too. a pink ribbon made a blogger out of me | considering the lilies

Old 03-02-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When they did the biopsy, they inserted a titanium marker. My sister found out it was shaped like the pink ribbons. She was not happy. She felt like she was branded by a nonprofit organization that spends more money on salaries and overhead than cancer research. While looking for a picture to post, I found this blogger who felt branded too. a pink ribbon made a blogger out of me | considering the lilies
I read that whole article Hopes. Yes, I feel that way too but I was turned off by it even before the dx and wondered how I'd feel if I ever got it. Yes, more turned off than ever. Like she said, cancer is not cute little ribbons and teddy bears and tea parties. It's a stark ugly reality.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:04 PM

309 posts, read 370,015 times
I just skimmed the pages of replies, and can only agree that yes, indeed, breast cancer gets MUCH attention. Certainly any cancer needs to be researched with the hope of discovering more ways to avoid and overcome it. On the other hand, pancreatic cancer with its high mortality and low survival gets so very, very little. (I've about had it with pink ribbons and save the ta-tas; please, please consider giving your next donation to a pancreatic cancer fund.)

Old 06-07-2014, 11:59 PM

770 posts, read 1,805,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey92 View Post
I always see ads on T.V about breast cancer but no other type of cancer and wonder why the other types don't get more attention. In no way am I down-playing the significance of breast cancer and I realize it is one of the most common types but it isn't the most common. I don't think I've ever seen a prostate cancer advertisement or a lung cancer ad.

Opinions?

Common Cancer Types - National Cancer Institute
Unfortunately, Breast Cancer does get more attention this day and age. It has a lot to do with our messed up pop culture here in the U.S.. Our society seems to care more about those who are "pretty or sexy," instead about caring for the majority that make up this countries population.

In my honest opinion, EVERY cancer deserves media attention and a focus on a cure. Breast Cancer is just one of many.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,124 times
Unhappy not fair to others

I'm a 2 time survivor of Sinal Nasal Carsinoma.
tumor still in my head.in operable too.
everywher we turn,on tv ,in public ,in stores ,in all places. evrything is about breat cancer.why?
I mean I'm not against it I had froends with breast cancer and they survived.
but what about us. why not advertise about just cancer in general!those with breast cancer.arent the only survivors!!!!we are too!

Old 06-23-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go09 View Post
(I've about had it with pink ribbons and save the ta-tas; please, please consider giving your next donation to a pancreatic cancer fund.)
"Save the ta-tas" might be appropriate if they were interested in teaching us about prevention, but my understanding is that prevention is their lowest priority and in truth, the second you get a cancer dx, the first thing they want to do is to cut those ta-tas off! So, prevention guys (if it's not too late for you): eat your veggies, lots of them and keep your insulin level steady. Don't eat sugary foods. Exercise. And there are still no guarantees but that should help the majority of people.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:10 AM

477 posts, read 803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
I don't understand why women die of advanced breast cancer? it's so easy to detect a breast lump through self exam. Some women are just lazy I swear to God. I check my breasts for lumps in the shower every single day through thorough self exam.
I also want to add, besides the good and correct thing everyone else has said, not everyone has insurance. It's easy to die very quickly when you can't get help or the help you get is worse than none at all. I've know people (of all ages) on charity care, just get passed around like a smelly old shoe.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 737 times
Default YES so much more funding

I hate how breast cancer is the most publicly known cancer. There are so many other cancers that are just as important and should get the same amount of publicity and funding. Personally, I am a huge childhood cancer advocate and do my best to spread awareness in that field. September is Childhood Cancer awareness month and during the month I wore my shirts, informed people about it, and tried my best to spread awareness. Most people had no clue that childhood cancer had an awareness month. The first day in October there was a booth at my school selling shirts that said "Save the Tata's" and it got me so aggravated. The fact that there was nothing going on for September but the first day in October everyone was already spreading the awareness of breast cancer is disgusting. I understand breast cancer is well known but there are so many other cancers that need recognition and funding!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer