Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 01:54 PM

152 posts, read 386,989 times

Advertisements

I always see ads on T.V about breast cancer but no other type of cancer and wonder why the other types don't get more attention. In no way am I down-playing the significance of breast cancer and I realize it is one of the most common types but it isn't the most common. I don't think I've ever seen a prostate cancer advertisement or a lung cancer ad.

Opinions?

Common Cancer Types - National Cancer Institute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 05:26 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,853,842 times
Yes, I do think breast cancer gets more attention. Ad nauseum. I'm sooooooooo over pink! LOL There's just something about breast cancer that makes it so much easier to "market". Maybe because everybody has them (unlike prostates) and environment is less likely to be a cause (such as lung cancers) and other than children (who have their own cancers) who else brings out the urge to help - to Do - something? While some of the Pinktober stuff focuses on "awareness" and spends virtually nothing on research to find the cure, I think it's all to the good. What we learn about one cancer can be used for another. The Doxil I'm on now for my stage IV breast cancer is used for many other cancers.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:05 AM

15,877 posts, read 21,477,351 times
It's a "sexy" cancer from a marketing standpoint. "Save the tatas" (shudder gross) sounds much better than "Save the lymph nodes" or "Save the colons." Some of my friends who have lived with breast cancer have taken to calling Pinktober "breast cancer unawareness month" in which they consume massive amounts of alcohol and do not leave their homes.

As chele said, so much money goes to "awareness" campaigns and very little actually goes back to research. This bothers me immensely. In particular, during the month, the narrative focuses on middle aged women who have survived. Very little real estate goes to young women (or awareness for young women who are much more likely to have aggressive cancers than women over 40) or those with metastatic disease. Painfully little is said about MEN with breast cancer. The ads run as "Think about your sister, your mother, your wife..." and never "Think about your father or brother." There are still MANY men out there, despite years of oppresive advertising and awareness campaigns, that have no idea that they can have breast cancer themselves. It's one of the reasons why men with breast cancer have a lower survival rate - they catch it later. Granted, it's a much smaller portion of the population, but their lives are not insignificant.

Many programs that have evolved as a result of breast cancer awareness specifically leave men out, including some federal programs. For instance, in 2011 a 26 year old low income man in SC was diagnosed with breast cancer, http://abcnews.go.com/Health/breast-...y?id=14241171: "Though Johnson wouldn't normally qualify for Medicaid in the state of South Carolina because he is a single, non-disabled man with no children, he was advised to apply for a special supplementary program created specifically for those diagnosed with breast cancer whose income is 200 percent of the poverty line ($21,780 per year) -- even those with no dependent children. What Johnson didn't know is that the program, created by the Breast and Cervical Cancer Prevention and Treatment Act, is women's only."

This makes me rage. Why is there a special supplementary program for women's reproductive cancers but not for other cancers? Are men with breast cancer any more able to pay for treatment? Was I with lymphoma? While I am thrilled that Pinktober has mobilized people, it's frustrating that it has created a double standard.

On a personal level, it's also frustrating how much help goes to women with breast cancer versus other cancers. When I was going through my own cancer, I amassed a little collection of pink ribbon things because well meaning friends bought them for me. There were no lavendar or even lime green ribbons anywhere to be found. When seeking government assistance, there was none for me, but had I had breast cancer specifically, there was money to be requested due to special programs like the one above. Many charities that offered assistance with house cleaning and other matters gave priority to those with breast cancer - and almost all excluded men (as if men don't need to have a clean house during treatment!). My YMCA offered a free 6 month exercise class for cancer survivors - if you were a woman with breast cancer that is. I argued that lymphadema prevention exercises would benefit me as well since I had lymph nodes removed for my lymphoma, but was denied access. I blogged about Pinktober a few months after my own treatment ended: Pinksplosion.

More women die per year of lung cancer (which is not caused exclusively by smoking) and yet there is painfully little awareness. It's sad when people who have lung cancer feel the need to interject "but I didn't smoke" to avoid stigma, even as research dollars are limited due to that stigma.

Last edited by charolastra00; 01-26-2014 at 10:19 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 09:27 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,131,009 times
I think Ovarian cancer needs more publicity. It often does not have any symptoms until the final stages.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
My guess is: yes, it gets more attention, but maybe because it is a very controllable cancer if caught right away and it is a more common form of cancer than other types. The other cancer that is getting more attention all the time is skin cancer. Again, treatable and even pretty much preventable if we are educated on the causes. I too wish some other cancers got the same attention and I have to admit, as much good as "PINK" is doing, it might be a little over the top. What about pancreatic cancer, prostate cancer, lipo sarcomas and ovarian cancer? They do get attention but not to the same degree.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:58 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,110,582 times
I agree that breast cancer gets much more attention than other types of cancer. I have a couple of reasons for that, just my two cents:

1. Early detection can and does save lives, so nonprofits, government, etc. are motivated to spread the word about the disease to encourage women to be aware of it. Breast self-exams are easy, very accessible, and free.

2. Seems like a lot of celebrities have either had breast cancer, or have had someone close to them get it, and this has motivated them to talk about it. Whatever celebrities do, brings attention and awareness. When Angelina Jolie announced she was BRCA+, the labs that process the testing for this genetic mutation (there is only one, or maybe a few) were flooded with submissions from people who had gotten tested for it by their doctors, and this caused a major delay for women waiting for test results.

3. I agree with charo that breast cancer has gotten almost trendy. "Save the tatas" t-shirts, campaigns where bras are displayed... sometimes it seems to be about attention and fuss, and not so much about the actual disease or the people dealing with it. As someone who has had breast cancer, I find it very distasteful. And I get very annoyed when I see breast cancer awareness items being sold purely "for awareness" with no portion of the funds actually going to help breast cancer patients. Even the bird seed I buy has a pink ribbon on it. ???

4. There used to be a huge stigma with breast cancer. It was very hush-hush. And the surgeries women had to go through, were extremely disfiguring. There was a lot of shame. There is still a lot of shame, for many women. I give much credit to those who are supportive of breast cancer patients - it's not easy to go around with a bald head, or with a missing breast (or two)... I am glad to live in a period of time where our society is supportive of those of us that have to go through this. I assure you that if you have not experienced it, you cannot understand.

It looks like from the link you posted, that prostate and lung cancers are the only cancers that are as common. So why don't we hear as much about those two cancers, as we do breast cancer? Again here is my two cents. Prostate cancer has one big factor going against it: unfortunately there's a lot of shame in discussing it. Kind of where breast cancer was 20 years ago. Hopefully that will change. Lung cancer has a big stigma against it: people assume that patients with lung cancer got it from poor lifestyle choices, i.e. smoking. While this may be true in many cases, it is certainly not true for all, and even if the patient did smoke, that certainly doesn't mean they deserve to get cancer. They still need support, too.

Having said all that, I do hope that people are mindful that there are many other kinds of cancer, many other illnesses too, that need awareness, support, research, and perhaps most importantly, compassion.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:51 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,095,089 times
I agree that breast cancer gets much more attention. I wanted one of those tightly woven survivor bracelets, but the person who makes them said "only the pink ones sell so I don't do any other colors". I called three other persons and got the same answer. What a shame, as I really wanted one.

A poster mentioned that breast cancer patients go through breast surgery, which results in extreme disfigurement. I had stomach cancer with most of my stomach removed. I have lost so much weight that I have extremely saggy skin just hanging on my legs and face and arms, which is a disfigurement in itself and especially when insurance won't pay for correction to reduce the skin.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:13 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,331,577 times
Yes, we hear more about breast cancer than any other. It's not fair, because cancer is cancer, and tough for all patients.
I also wish more emphasis was put on pediatric cancers, that seem to be forgotten by all...

Old 02-01-2014, 03:34 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,550,174 times
The chief reason breast cancer gets so much attention is because of the Susan G Komen foundation.

No other type cancer has such a powerful organization advocating research and a cure.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:25 AM

88,688 posts, read 85,015,124 times
I hear prostate cancer ads every day on the radio. That one gets a lot of attention. But breast cancer does get the most.

My friend had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Most people never heard of it, but it's fairly common and comes in different forms. Mr. T. survived it, and Joey Ramone died from it. Some people think "NHL" refers only to hockey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer