Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:48 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,529,525 times

Advertisements

I almost threw up when i saw the numbers. seriously. I dont smoke and work out but am in my 60's I am especially adverse to pain and don't want a biopsy which even the dr said would be painful. I'm scared of all medical stuff. My idetis ok when I had a pet rabbit I ate pretty much what he ate cept for those nasty pellets. iN other words not much meat and nothing fried. My mom died of cancer when I was 7 so my fears may be a bit irrational.

For 3 weeks dr is putting me on anti biotic to see if its something else. I feel ok so dont know what it can be but I'll do it. Then another blood test. then ...,.

A friend tells me there is a growing body of people who think -prostate cancer should not even be treated -because its so slow-- I dunno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 06:06 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,853,842 times
SOME prostate cancers are so slow growing you can expect to outlive them without treatment. To kniw if yours is slow growing you'll need a biopsy. Of course, I've never had prostate cancer, but I had breast cancer that was caught early and only moderate growing. I had the most treatment possible, but I'm stage IV now with breast cancer in my bones and liver. Is this really a game you want to play? Prostate has a high success rate when caught and treated early. No, the testing and biopsies etc are not fun, but cancer is not a fun nor painless way to die either.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:22 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,274,173 times
4.2 is not a terribly high PSA rating, although urologists generally recommend anyone over a 4 get the biopsy.

The biopsy isn't excruciatingly painful- more annoying than anything else, but it can give you the information as to whether or not you have cancer and how aggressive it is.

Most prostate cancers aren't aggressive, and there are different modalities that they can use to deal with it- surgery, radiation in different forms, hormonal treatments. At times it is best to procrastinate, engage in what they call "active surveillance" if you have a non-aggressive case with a "gleason score" of 6 or below, and taking action only if your situation starts to deteriorate.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:04 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,529,525 times
Thank you Chele and I like Spam.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:25 PM

360 posts, read 812,918 times
PSA counts aren’t always indicative of aggressive cancers. The Gleason score after a biopsy (if you choose to have one) will be the most likely indicator. A Gleason score of 7 or over should be a matter of concern but even then for the majority of prostate cancer sufferers the cancer grows so slowly that it will likely never be the primary cause of death.

OP, if you are in otherwise good health for your age and you are willing to undergo the annual or semi-annual tests, watchful waiting might be the best form of treatment. They’ll test your PSA every 6 months to one year and see if there aren’t any serious climbs in the rate. Talk with a good urologist and get the best treatment possible.

Take it from someone who has personal knowledge, a high PSA count isn’t always an indicator of anything much. My doctor told me of a guy that had one in the 40s and he still lived for another 30 years only to die of a heart attack in his 90s.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:25 PM

24 posts, read 40,218 times
Default Biopsy

When I had my biopsy, the doctor put me to sleep, never felt a thing. Good luck with everything!

Old 04-16-2014, 05:38 PM

15,877 posts, read 21,477,351 times
Do the biopsy - it's better to know than not know and wonder. Like chele said, even if it is prostate cancer, some are so slow growing that they require no treatment.

As far as pain - I was a scared 23 year old girl when I went through cancer diagnosis and treatment alone, including a bone marrow biopsy with no sedation other than a Xanax. They wouldn't put me under because its only a 5-10 minute procedure, but they also can't numb bone. I bet they can numb the prostate better. If I could do it, then you can do it! Think of all the things you've already gone through in life. This is manageable!

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,737,166 times
My brother, 53, had prostate cancer a couple of years ago and went through treatment. He's fine now and PSA has been 0 since then.

Do what you need to do to take care of yourself. Good luck with it.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I almost threw up when i saw the numbers. seriously. I dont smoke and work out but am in my 60's I am especially adverse to pain and don't want a biopsy which even the dr said would be painful. I'm scared of all medical stuff. My idetis ok when I had a pet rabbit I ate pretty much what he ate cept for those nasty pellets. iN other words not much meat and nothing fried. My mom died of cancer when I was 7 so my fears may be a bit irrational.

For 3 weeks dr is putting me on anti biotic to see if its something else. I feel ok so dont know what it can be but I'll do it. Then another blood test. then ...,.

A friend tells me there is a growing body of people who think -prostate cancer should not even be treated -because its so slow-- I dunno.
4.2 really isn't that high but it is something to watch. I am sure your doctor has told you this. Hopefully the antibiotics will solve the problem, but if not; hubby had 3 biopsies. The first 2, many years ago were normal. Unfortunately the last one, did show cancer. The biopsy hurt yes, but he said wasn't all that bad and yes, some doctors do feel treating early prostate cancer isn't necessary if you are past a certain age, as it is slow growing. My husband choose, with the advise of his doctor to have radiation and use hormone drugs. That was about 3 years ago and he is cancer free right now.

I don't think your mother dieing of cancer has anything to do with what you are going through right now. Good luck and take the advise of your doctor. All any of us can do is give you our experience and support

Old 04-21-2014, 04:05 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,656,932 times
There are other reasons for a rise in PSA. An enlarged or infected prostate for example. Also, some drugs. What was your PSA test result last year, if you had one? If so, how much did it rise? Did you have a digital rectal exam, and was anything felt?

There are some who feel that a man should not exercise, ride a bike, or have sex a few days before the PSA test. And, that the PSA test should be performed prior to the digital rectal exam. They feel a slight increase in the PSA test could happen if the above is not followed. But it is not significant.

I would finish the antibiotics and wait awhile (whatever the doctor thinks) before redoing the PSA test. Follow the guidelines in the above paragraph for extra measure, can't hurt.

My husband was worried about biopsy pain and was sedated. Do whatever is right for you. Also, you should know that biopsies are not 100% accurate. Cancer cells may not be in the portion taken during biopsy and they can not reach all sides of the prostate. I know someone who had several before they found cancer cells. Based on his findings, he decided to watch and wait.

My husband's PSA test was only 3.2, but was up a full point from last year and a lump was felt during the DRE. His biopsy had a Gleason score of 7 which is moderately aggressive, so he decided on Proton Beam therapy. It's been 7 years, so far all is well. Every man must decide for himself.

Let's hope that the antibiotics are all you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer