Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 11:42 PM

770 posts, read 1,801,996 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
recently, my father died from cancer and despite my major being in law enforcement/game warden, since his death, I have vowed to do what I can to help those who have whatever cancer survive. I know that positive reinforcement can help a person with cancer have a stronger will to live and fight off their cancer. But realistically speaking, with a demanding career, what would be the best volunteer path for me?

Cancer is very personal for me and I really do want to do what I can to help those that have whatever cancer they have to defeat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 09:14 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,839,019 times
If you know how to knit or crochet, some folks like to make chemo caps. Many folks with cancer may need things done that they can't do otherwise, due to lack of energy or close family, so running errands and doing services around the home may be helpful. I guess your best bet would be to contact the hospital and see if they can hook you up w/ someone who needs help. And, bless you--you are an angel.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:25 PM

15,885 posts, read 21,499,526 times
The American Cancer Society has a program where volunteers give patients rides to treatment. Many people cannot drive following chemo and public transit is not an option for those who are immunocompromised. I know for me, one of my greatest stressors was how I would get to and from treatment and appointments without a car.

Also look for local charities that provide meals. You could either help prepare or deliver meals.

As a young adult who fought cancer alone with no help from family and little help from friends, the logistical things were the hardest for me to handle. Grocery shopping, transportation, picking up prescriptions, cleaning my apartment, taking care of my cat, dealing with the insurance company, even notetaking during appointments - all were exhausting to do myself and often cost-prohibitive to pay someone else to do for me. Local charities tend to be the best at allocating that type of volunteer support.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,271 times
How about telling the public about the real facts on cancer, the American Cancer Society, and the pink ribbon movement (google/bing "A Mammogram Letter The British Medical Journal Censored")?

Old 06-15-2014, 02:30 PM

30,659 posts, read 16,320,122 times
I'd vote for driving and/or running errands. Even people with family and friends might need help. Family can only take so much vacation, and most appmts are during the day.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:38 AM

199 posts, read 529,491 times
Being isolated with cancer it's nice to have company, you can't just watch tv all day. Receiving cards from well wishers helps. Offer to help in some way, ride to doctor, cut grass, go shopping, anything to help. How nice of you offer to help others.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:50 AM

12,983 posts, read 9,703,219 times
My sister was just diagnosed with breast cancer a few days ago after all her test came back. She is really down about it and have to go back on the 18th. She will have to have surgery and then chemo or chemo then surgery, I cant remember. I find myself looking for the right things to say to encourage her and to lift her spirits.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:08 PM

548 posts, read 1,040,740 times
Running errands, cooking meals, cutting grass, cleaning, visiting with someone, walking a patients dog. Those are things that would be helpful for a cancer patient. Maybe volunteering through a hospice. Staying with a patient so a family member can get away for awhile would be a big help. Towards the end of both of my parents lives I was stuck at home because they couldn't be alone and having that volunteer come was a lifesaver.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
My sister was just diagnosed with breast cancer a few days ago after all her test came back. She is really down about it and have to go back on the 18th. She will have to have surgery and then chemo or chemo then surgery, I cant remember. I find myself looking for the right things to say to encourage her and to lift her spirits.
Sometimes there's no right thing to say. Just being there is the best you can do.

And she's losing a part of herself and she knows the cure will make her feel lousy. If she thinks you want her spirits up all the time, she may close off, shut down. She needs someone who lets her be sad-a shoulder to cry on sometimes.

Let her feelings take the lead.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:15 AM

oh, and if she yells at you and/or gets mad for no reason, don't take it personally. She's gotta get it out somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer