Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 07:18 AM

144 posts, read 184,810 times

Advertisements

You'd think a place with significantly less sun than Florida and Texas would have the lowest reported number of cases in the country. Oddly enough, Washington and Oregon have among the highest rates in the country.
Does anyone have a clue as to how that could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 07:51 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
You'd think a place with significantly less sun than Florida and Texas would have the lowest reported number of cases in the country. Oddly enough, Washington and Oregon have among the highest rates in the country.
Does anyone have a clue as to how that could be?
Low vitamin D. People have been scare-mongered into staying out of the sun. It is a myth that sun alone causes cancer or wrinkles, we have evolved under the sun. I live in Florida and get 60 to 90 minutes per day on my bike wearing only coconut oil. But I have a healthy lifestyle. Sun is anti-microbial in addition to manufacturing your Vitamin D. It is those people who have an unhealthy lifestyle, (smoking, processed foods, poor hydration, etc) who tend to have too many toxins. The people I have known here with skin cancer were those who never got sun, and/or got cancer where it was NEVER EXPOSED to the sun.

By the way, I maintain a nice medium golden tan and at 64 have virtually NO wrinkles and have been told I look up to 20 or more years younger than my age (by my doctors).

Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
Perhaps it has to do with the fact that they don't wear sunscreen because they think clouds act as a uv protectant?

Can u post a link to that study

Old 06-18-2014, 11:23 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Low vitamin D. People have been scare-mongered into staying out of the sun. It is a myth that sun alone causes cancer or wrinkles, we have evolved under the sun. I live in Florida and get 60 to 90 minutes per day on my bike wearing only coconut oil. But I have a healthy lifestyle. Sun is anti-microbial in addition to manufacturing your Vitamin D. It is those people who have an unhealthy lifestyle, (smoking, processed foods, poor hydration, etc) who tend to have too many toxins. The people I have known here with skin cancer were those who never got sun, and/or got cancer where it was NEVER EXPOSED to the sun.

By the way, I maintain a nice medium golden tan and at 64 have virtually NO wrinkles and have been told I look up to 20 or more years younger than my age (by my doctors).
At age 68, having lived in OH, IL and CO, I developed a carcinoma on top of my right foot. (SCC, Stage 1 in-situ) . Had it removed by MOHS surgery. All my life that foot was never exposed to the sun for any appreciable period of time. And I had been on Dr recommended Vit D supplement for previous 10 years.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:34 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

Are your doctors employees of planet sun tanning?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:24 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Genetic factors may be involved.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:13 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,651 times
Easy to get burned at beginning of summer when you've been in low uv conditions for 8 months. Also possibly more people visiting dermatologists? I know it takes about 4 months to get in to see one here (NW Washington), so they are obviously staying busy. Plus theres a lot more white people here than a lot of southern areas of the country.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:37 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Perhaps it has to do with the fact that they don't wear sunscreen because they think clouds act as a uv protectant?

Can u post a link to that study

I tend to agree with this assessment. I know when I lived in Oregon I never put on sunscreen nor thought it necessary due to the lack of sunshine most of the time.
It is true though that there are 3-6 month waiting lists for most dermatologist; at least around Portland.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I am sure there are a lot of factors: 1-not using as much sun screen: 2-many who live in the region were not raised there. The damage we are seeing in our skin now has more to do with our childhood and teen years than the past 5 or 10, 3-maybe people in the Pacific NoWest consult with derm more than in some other regions and last but not least; family history. Remember most of us have parents who never used sun screen, some lived on farms and spent hours a day in the sun, thus the expression farmers tan and yet, most did not have skin cancers; why, because they never even went to the doctor to be tested. I wonder how many really did have them.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:06 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
There is actually more sun in the PNW than you would think. The cloudy days tend to be packed into the cooler half of the year, when solar intensity is lowest. People are sun-starved in winter, but July and August are pretty darn sunny, with very little rain, right when the solar angle is highest and days longest. It is feast or famine for sun. And east of the Cascades in both states is much, much drier and sunnier. If you can imagine a bunch of English, Irish, Scots-Irish, and Germans heading out on the Oregon Trail, you can image the core population would be fair folks vulnerable to skin cancer. Much of the Southwest, which is generally sunnier, has a much larger Hispanic element, so perhaps that is a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer