Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 04:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I have questioned many of my generation, and even older, and asked about women dying from breast cancer, and perhaps 1 or 2% say they may have known someone who had breast cancer. Lung cancer and colon cancer were more prevalent.

Before all of the preservatives and chemicals were placed in our food products, there truly were less cases of cancer.
As said, better diagnoses plus I don't have a clue where you live, but I know of many women who developed breast cancer, most died 50 or more years ago. I am sure enviounment plays some part, but it is a small part. Heck my mother in law said her younger brother, who died at about 20 died of TB of the kidneys. What the heck was that? When I had cervical cancer my grandmother wanted to know where i got something like that, as if it was a dirty thing. Well she never talked much about her sister who had female problems back in the late 1800s or maybe about the turn of the century who died, waiting for a hysterectomy. I am guessing she had cancer, but no one talked about it or maybe it jsut wasn't diagnosed.

If all the chemicals are causing cancer, it wouldn't be just one kind or cancer, certainly it would have little to do with breast cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 12:21 AM

194 posts, read 251,978 times
Dietary factors are recognized as having a significant effect on the risk of cancers, with different dietary elements both increasing and reducing risk. Diet, physical inactivity, and obesity may be related to up to 30–35% of cancer deaths. Cancer is a Preventable Disease that Requires Major Lifestyle Changes Cancer is a preventable disease that requires major lifestyle changes. - PubMed - NCBI By far the most significant dietary cause of cancer is overnutrition (eating too much). Diet and cancer. - PubMed - NCBI While many dietary recommendations have been proposed to reduce the risk of cancer, few have significant supporting scientific evidence. Diet and cancer. - PubMed - NCBI Obesity and drinking alcohol are confirmed causes of cancer. Diet and cancer. - PubMed - NCBI Lowering the drinking of beverages sweetened with sugar is recommended as a measure to address obesity. A diet low in fruits and vegetables and high in red meat has been implicated but not confirmed, Fruit and vegetables and cancer risk Fruit and vegetables and cancer risk. - PubMed - NCBI and the effect may be small for well-nourished people who maintain a healthy weight. Diet and cancer. - PubMed - NCBI Some specific foods are linked to specific cancers. Studies have linked eating red or processed meat to an increased risk of breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, Red meat and poultry, cooking practices, genetic susceptibility and risk of prostate cancer: results from a multiethnic case Red meat and poultry, cooking practices, genetic susceptibility and... - PubMed - NCBI and pancreatic cancer, which may be partially explained by the presence of carcinogens in foods cooked at high temperatures. Well-done Meat Intake, Heterocyclic Amine Exposure, and Cancer Risk Well-done meat intake, heterocyclic amine exposure, and cancer risk. - PubMed - NCBI Meat and cancer. - PubMed - NCBI Aflatoxin B1, a frequent food contaminate, causes liver cancer, Aetiology of cancer in Asia. - PubMed - NCBI but drinking coffee is associated with a reduced risk. Coffee consumption and risk of liver cancer: a meta-analysis. - PubMed - NCBI Betel nut chewing causes oral cancer. Aetiology of cancer in Asia. - PubMed - NCBI The differences in dietary practices may partly explain differences in cancer incidence in different countries. For example, stomach cancer is more common in Japan due to its high-salt diet Aetiology of cancer in Asia. - PubMed - NCBI Epidemiology of stomach cancer. - PubMed - NCBI and colon cancer is more common in the United States. Immigrant communities tend to develop the risk of their new country, often within one generation, suggesting a substantial link between diet and cancer. CANCER MORTALITY AMONG JAPANESE ISSEI AND NISEI OF CALIFORNIA. - PubMed - NCBI Dietary recommendations for cancer prevention typically include weight management and eating "mainly vegetables, fruit, whole grains and fish, and a reduced intake of red meat, animal fat, and refined sugar." Diet and cancer. - PubMed - NCBI

Helicobacter pylori colonizes the human stomach and duodenum. In some cases it can cause stomach cancer Role of Helicobacter pylori infection and chronic inflammation in g... - PubMed - NCBI Helicobacter pylori and gastric cancer: the causal relationship. - PubMed - NCBI and MALT lymphoma. Gastric MALT lymphoma and its relationship to Helicobacter pylori i... - PubMed - NCBI There are many other bacteria infectious organisms that are known or suspected to cause cancer, there is some evidence that bacteria may be directly carcinogenic.

An oncovirus is a virus that can cause cancer. Worldwide, the WHO International Agency for Research on Cancer estimated that in 2002, 17.8% of human cancers were caused by infection, with 11.9% being caused by one of seven different viruses The global health burden of infection-associated cancers in the yea... - PubMed - NCBI Hepatitis viruses, including hepatitis B (HBV) and hepatitis C (HCV) cause 4.9% and are associated with Hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer). Hepatitis C virus contributes to hepatocarcinogenesis by modulating... - PubMed - NCBI HIV-HBV and HIV-HCV coinfection and liver cancer development. - PubMed - NCBI Human T-lymphotropic virus (HTLV) cause 0.03% and are associated with Tropical spastic paraparesis and adult T-cell leukemia Telomerase: a crucial player in HTLV-I-induced human T-cell leukemia. - PubMed - NCBI Human papillomaviruses (HPV) cause 5.2% and are associated with cancers of cervix, anus, penis, Human papillomavirus and cervical cancer. - PubMed - NCBI vulva/vagina, and oropharyngeal cancer. The global health burden of infection-associated cancers in the yea... - PubMed - NCBI Kaposi’s sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (HHV-8) cause 0.9% are are associated with Kaposi’s sarcoma, multicentric Castleman's disease and primary effusion lymphoma. Merkel cell polyomavirus is associated with Merkel cell carcinoma. Epstein–Barr virus (EBV) is associated with Burkitt’s lymphoma, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, Post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease and Nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Epstein-Barr virus infection in humans: from harmless to life endan... - PubMed - NCBI

Tobacco was responsible for more than 100 million deaths worldwide in the 20th Century. The World Health Organisation has estimated that, if current trends continue, tobacco could cause a billion deaths in the 21st Century. Smoking causes more than four in five cases of lung cancer. Lung cancer has one of the lowest survival rates of all cancers, and is the most common cause of cancer death in the UK.The good news is that most of these deaths are preventable, by giving up smoking in time. Smoking also increases the risk of at least 13 other cancers including cancers of the larynx (voice box), oesophagus (gullet), mouth and pharynx (throat), bladder,pancreas, kidney, liver, stomach, bowel, cervix, ovary, nose and sinus, and some types of leukaemia. There is also some evidence that smoking could increase the risk of breast cancer. The fact is that half of all long term smokers eventually die from cancer, or other smoking-related illnesses. Half of those will die in middle age, between 35 and 69. Tobacco smoke contains more than 70 different substances that are thought to cause cancer. When you inhale smoke, these chemicals enter your lungs and spread around the rest of your body.

There is no doubt that alcohol can cause seven types of cancer. The less alcohol you drink, the lower the risk of cancer. Overall, the risk of developing cancer is smaller if you stay within the government guidelines, about one standard drink a day for women or two for men. Drinking and smoking together are even worse for you. Not everyone who drinks will develop cancer. But on the whole, scientists have found that some cancers are more common in people who drink more alcohol than others. Every year, alcohol causes 4% of cancers in the UK, around 12,500 cases. Drinking alcohol regularly can increase the risk of: Mouth cancer, Pharyngeal cancer (upper throat), Oesophageal cancer (food pipe), Laryngeal cancer (voice box), Breast cancer, Bowel cancer and Liver cancer.

There are other risk factors too. Like chronic stress, radiation and chemical exposure and other factors as well

Old 12-13-2014, 07:47 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Johndoe, I have a kind of cancer associated with high alcohol consumption--it's called invasive lobular breast cancer which is about 10% of BC. Trouble is I've never been much of a drinker. For years while I was raising my girls my avg was about one drink a year! It hardly seems fair.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:20 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
"...researchers said on Thursday random DNA mutations accumulating in various parts of the body during ordinary cell division are the prime culprits behind many cancer types.

They looked at 31 cancer types and found that 22 of them, including leukemia and pancreatic, bone, testicular, ovarian and brain cancer, could be explained largely by these random mutations — essentially biological bad luck."

Two-thirds of cancers caused by bad luck, not genetics & environment - Health - CBC News

Old 02-05-2015, 10:20 AM

Why healthy lives could prevent thousands of cancers every month | Cancer Prevention Blog

Old 02-05-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"...researchers said on Thursday random DNA mutations accumulating in various parts of the body during ordinary cell division are the prime culprits behind many cancer types.

They looked at 31 cancer types and found that 22 of them, including leukemia and pancreatic, bone, testicular, ovarian and brain cancer, could be explained largely by these random mutations — essentially biological bad luck."

Two-thirds of cancers caused by bad luck, not genetics & environment - Health - CBC News
Cancer BBC News - So is cancer mostly 'bad luck' or not?

Old 02-05-2015, 04:56 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
There is not one study or statistical reference in that entire link. In fact, when you search for results of the evidence from which they claim to have drawn conclusions, there aren't any. However, they do mention their "funded research."

("Overall, scientists estimate that about a third (32%) of 13 of the most common cancers in the UK could be prevented through improved diet, physical activity and body weight. The table below includes preventability estimates by type of cancer.")

Old 02-06-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
There is not one study or statistical reference in that entire link. In fact, when you search for results of the evidence from which they claim to have drawn conclusions, there aren't any. However, they do mention their "funded research."

("Overall, scientists estimate that about a third (32%) of 13 of the most common cancers in the UK could be prevented through improved diet, physical activity and body weight. The table below includes preventability estimates by type of cancer.")
This may help, or not??. I added more info on post 26 from CRUK and the BBC which did a better report than most all media sources. The researchers say they've calculated that two thirds (65%) of "the differences in cancer risk among different tissues" is down to cell division gone wrong - "bad luck". Now many media reports have simply concluded that this means that two thirds of cancer cases are just the result of random haywire cell division. That's not correct. The most likely explanation seems to be that the researchers were referring to the correlation between cell divisions in different types of tissue, and the tendency of those tissues to develop cancer.

Cancer ‘mainly bad luck’? An unfortunate and distracting headline Cancer

Is cancer due mostly to “bad luck”? http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...y-to-bad-luck/

The simple math that explains why you may (or may not) get cancer | Science/AAAS | News Bad luck and cancer: A science reporter

Old 02-06-2015, 07:10 AM

One person on twitter posted this ''THANKYOU BBC!! Smoking doesn't cause cancer. It's just bad luck''. Sadly others like him will think the same. Adam over at The Stats Guy blog said it best: ''We often see medical research badly reported in the newspapers. Often it doesn’t matter very much. But here, I think real harm could be done. The message that comes across from the media is that cancer is just a matter of luck, so changing your lifestyle won’t make much difference anyway. We know that lifestyle is hugely important not only for cancer, but for many other diseases as well. For the media to give the impression that lifestyle isn’t important, based on a misunderstanding of what the research shows, is highly irresponsible.''

Old 02-07-2015, 08:31 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,317,834 times
My daughter was diagnosed with Wilm's tumor at the age of 14 months, and it's a kind of cancer that has cells forming in utero. So she had them in her all along, until they formed the tumor. Some kids have this tumor at a later age, sometimes as teens, so these cells are definitely dormant at first.
My guess is other cancers originate the same way, so they are there all along and either end up forming a tumor or stay dormant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer