Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:21 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times

Advertisements

My other half was just diagnosed with prostate cancer.

He is opting for the radiation seeding - is this the correct term? What should we expect from this - the after effects?

My sister had chemo for lymphoma and was scaring me with how bad he was going to feel - almost bed-ridden. Which is what happened to her, but hers was so advanced she almost died.

He is in the early stages. Has been monitoring his PSH levels for at least a year and goes to his doctor regularly. Twice a year physicals at a minimum.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 11:39 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
Don't listen to your sister. Her experience is not the same at all.

Please talk to your husband's doctor about the side effects.

My husband had prostate cancer. And we've had several friends who also had it. All chose different treatments. All had varying side effects.

But I suggest you both sit down and discuss all possible side effects not only in the weeks following, but years down the road also.

I wish you both well on this journey. It's been 9 years since my husband was diagnosed and treated. He has side effects, but nothing that has stopped him from enjoying life. Stay positive.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Don't listen to your sister. Her experience is not the same at all.

Please talk to your husband's doctor about the side effects.

My husband had prostate cancer. And we've had several friends who also had it. All chose different treatments. All had varying side effects.

But I suggest you both sit down and discuss all possible side effects not only in the weeks following, but years down the road also.

I wish you both well on this journey. It's been 9 years since my husband was diagnosed and treated. He has side effects, but nothing that has stopped him from enjoying life. Stay positive.
Thank you. He had a bad reaction just to the biopsy and I had to take him to the ER last night.

He had an infection. He had seen the doctor during the day and had been given antibiotics and follow up instructions, but did not listen. What the ER doctor recommended was what his regular dr. had told him to do.

He had also been out in the hot sun all day Sunday cutting grass. I've been trying to get him to stop, but I guess it is some kind of macho man syndrome. At least he now uses a riding mower. We have a huge yard. I am not a yard cutting person.

After taking him to the ER, all he wanted to do was leave. He forgets he is not the only one there.!

He did say I could get someone to cut the grass, so that was one good thing that came out of this.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:37 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Thank you. He had a bad reaction just to the biopsy and I had to take him to the ER last night.

He had an infection. He had seen the doctor during the day and had been given antibiotics and follow up instructions, but did not listen. What the ER doctor recommended was what his regular dr. had told him to do.

He had also been out in the hot sun all day Sunday cutting grass. I've been trying to get him to stop, but I guess it is some kind of macho man syndrome. At least he now uses a riding mower. We have a huge yard. I am not a yard cutting person.

After taking him to the ER, all he wanted to do was leave. He forgets he is not the only one there.!

He did say I could get someone to cut the grass, so that was one good thing that came out of this.
A cancer diagnosis can be very difficult to come to terms with. He may be portraying a macho man, but inside he is probably scared to death.

Have you received the biopsy results? Do you know his Gleason score or what his last PSA was?

How old is your husband by the way?

I hope he is feeling better.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:00 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I had prostate cancer three years ago. I was 60. I chose to have it removed as it seemed like my PSA was a yoyo. UP and down and I had infections which I tried to control with antibiotics. I was shocked when the biopsy was positive. It was removed and I was in the hospital from Monday to Thurs. I was feeling good except for the catheter which I had to have for almost 2 weeks. I thank God that I didn't have to have chemo or radiation afterwards. I have been cancer free now for 3 and 1/2 years. I do have infrequent incontinence and there are ED issues which I had started having prior to the surgery. They did have to sever some vessels which , they said, affect ED. Also, since there is no prostate, I have no more semen. Hopefully, your husband will have successful treatment. There is a shock of the diagnoses. However, in my case, it was caught early and I would hope the same for your husband.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:50 PM

60 posts, read 68,558 times
3 years ago I was biopsied with prostate cancer with a gleason of 4-3. After a lot of reading(Dr. Katz was excellent) I interviewed a Da Vinci surgeon. This was the first time I was ever in the hospital. The worst part of the whole procedure was the week with the catheter. I have also talked to radiologist, and was not thrilled with the daily doses of radiation for a few weeks. I have talked to several people that have had radiation and although it made them feel lousy most did not regret their decision. I was under the impression that seed implantation was not used that much anymore. One of the major reasons I elected to have the surgery was that if the cancer came back it was more difficult to remove the prostrate if you had radiation. Make sure if you have surgery make sure that the guy has done lots of them!!!
good luck

Old 07-16-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
A cancer diagnosis can be very difficult to come to terms with. He may be portraying a macho man, but inside he is probably scared to death.

Have you received the biopsy results? Do you know his Gleason score or what his last PSA was?

How old is your husband by the way?

I hope he is feeling better.
They said two of the 12 sections they checked were positive for cancer. Think his Gleason score was 6.6.

He will be 69 in September. He is feeling better.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I had prostate cancer three years ago. I was 60. I chose to have it removed as it seemed like my PSA was a yoyo. UP and down and I had infections which I tried to control with antibiotics. I was shocked when the biopsy was positive. It was removed and I was in the hospital from Monday to Thurs. I was feeling good except for the catheter which I had to have for almost 2 weeks. I thank God that I didn't have to have chemo or radiation afterwards. I have been cancer free now for 3 and 1/2 years. I do have infrequent incontinence and there are ED issues which I had started having prior to the surgery. They did have to sever some vessels which , they said, affect ED. Also, since there is no prostate, I have no more semen. Hopefully, your husband will have successful treatment. There is a shock of the diagnoses. However, in my case, it was caught early and I would hope the same for your husband.
He is taking antibiotics now for an infection. But he is doing better. Very scary.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
They said two of the 12 sections they checked were positive for cancer. Think his Gleason score was 6.6.

He will be 69 in September. He is feeling better.
Hubby was diagnosed about 3 plus years ago; his gleason ran from about 4 in a couple of sections to as high as 8 (I think) in one section. The doctor was sure it had masticized and probably had spread. Well luckily he had not (we also couldn't stand the doctor so switched) Hubby chose to do the inplants as well as standard radiation and hormore shots. Other than some side affects from the hormones he is fine. His legs are a little weak and he did develop a blood clot in his leg, but he had 4 months of radiation because he had another cancer (a different kind) in his abdoman. Of course any form of surgery or radiation as we age will take something out of us, but it doesn't have to be a forever condtion or the beginning of the end.

Hubby has been cancer free now for 3 years unless the masses removed yesterday come back with cancer cells. BTW, the masses have nothing to do with his prostate cancer, they could be related to his sarcoma though. He is 78.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hubby was diagnosed about 3 plus years ago; his gleason ran from about 4 in a couple of sections to as high as 8 (I think) in one section. The doctor was sure it had masticized and probably had spread. Well luckily he had not (we also couldn't stand the doctor so switched) Hubby chose to do the inplants as well as standard radiation and hormore shots. Other than some side affects from the hormones he is fine. His legs are a little weak and he did develop a blood clot in his leg, but he had 4 months of radiation because he had another cancer (a different kind) in his abdoman. Of course any form of surgery or radiation as we age will take something out of us, but it doesn't have to be a forever condtion or the beginning of the end.

Hubby has been cancer free now for 3 years unless the masses removed yesterday come back with cancer cells. BTW, the masses have nothing to do with his prostate cancer, they could be related to his sarcoma though. He is 78.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer