Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 04:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
A lot of "assumptions" flying across this thread. I don't know of any medical study that has proven a diet-cancer link - mean hard, clinical data.

I never was sick and got cancer at a young age. I did not smoke, and did not have high BP. I ate a low-fat, high fiber diet.

I believe cancer is the most indiscriminate of all diseases, and the most complex.
I totally agree with you, but we do know, the older we get, the more likely we will develop some type of cancer. Studies are also showing cancer is genetic. Of course not in every case. I had cervical cancer at 24 years old. No one in our family had or has had cancer since. I have never had any problems either and tha was over 50 years ago.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:23 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
there are lots of children getting numerous kinds of cancers.
No more than in the past. The survival rates for children with cancer are higher today, though.

"Most cancers in children, like those in adults, are thought to develop as a result of mutations in genes that lead to uncontrolled cell growth and eventually cancer. In adults, these gene mutations are often the result of exposure to environmental factors, such as cigarette smoke, asbestos, and ultraviolet radiation from the sun. However, environmental causes of childhood cancer have been difficult to identify, partly because cancer in children is rare, and partly because it is difficult to determine what children might have been exposed to early in their development."

Cancer in Children and Adolescents fact sheet - National Cancer Institute

Old 03-12-2016, 05:25 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
I don't know of any medical study that has proven a diet-cancer link - mean hard, clinical data.
You're right; there aren't any. (There are a lot of people who believe this, though.)

Old 03-12-2016, 05:40 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,670,441 times
There is no known diet/cancer link. I researched this after getting breast cancer. I watch my diet, exercise, don't use drugs, have never smoked anything, have a drink perhaps once a week, and in general have been very mindful of my health my whole life, so developing cancer was disturbing and made me reevaluate everything. I had a mastectomy and am now cancer free and considered a survivor, although if I'm being honest about it, I always worry about a recurrence. So basically, yes, you can be healthy your whole life and develop cancer, but that's no reason to live your life in an unhealthy fashion and possibly increase your chances of developing life threatening diseases.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:15 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
A lot of "assumptions" flying across this thread. I don't know of any medical study that has proven a diet-cancer link - mean hard, clinical data.

I never was sick and got cancer at a young age. I did not smoke, and did not have high BP. I ate a low-fat, high fiber diet.

I believe cancer is the most indiscriminate of all diseases, and the most complex.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:22 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times
There are many scientific studies showing cancer-diet links.

Having a good lifestyle does not guarantee you won't get cancer. It does lessen your probabilities of getting the disease, however.

You can look both ways crossing the street, never jay walk, cross only at signals that have walk/don't walk signs and only cross on the green walk sign, but still get hit by a car. However, by doing these things, you significantly lower your risk of getting run over compared to someone who races across the middle of a boulevard without looking.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:45 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times
"Healthy" is relative though. A lot of people think eating everything in moderation is "healthy". There are a lot of "fit" people who aren't healthy as well as a lot of vegetarians and vegans who aren't healthy as they are eating a lot of cooked foods, grains, legumes and processed foods.

We've also been lied to about "the importance of protein" BIG TIME! It turns out Protein grows cancer. Specifically it is the amino acid Methionine Starving Cancer with Methionine Restriction | NutritionFacts.org in protein rich foods that helps the cancer cells proliferate. Some people are so obsessed with eating "enough" protein they buy protein powders of all things! Forbes Welcome

If people wanted to eat a diet that created a healthy immune system where it would be impossible for cancer to survive, they'd have to eat only alkaline forming foods of low protein raw fruit and raw vegetables and no grains or legumes -- similar to what man ate between the times of Adam and Noah when man lived to nearly 1000 years old (not all the acidic food that makes up the standard American diet).

Getting rid of all disease--not just cancer -- is as simple (not that it is easy to do but if you have the discipline to do it, it is doable) as cutting out the acid forming foods and detoxing out the hardened mucus and getting the immune/lymphatic system unclogged and moving again.

Here, Dr. Robert Morse, a biochemist, master herbalist, iridologist and naturopathic doctor debunks the myths about cancer we've accepted as fact for far too long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14MSkIHDtxY

Old 03-16-2016, 11:43 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
"Healthy" is relative though. A lot of people think eating everything in moderation is "healthy". There are a lot of "fit" people who aren't healthy as well as a lot of vegetarians and vegans who aren't healthy as they are eating a lot of cooked foods, grains, legumes and processed foods.

We've also been lied to about "the importance of protein" BIG TIME! It turns out Protein grows cancer. Specifically it is the amino acid Methionine Starving Cancer with Methionine Restriction | NutritionFacts.org in protein rich foods that helps the cancer cells proliferate. Some people are so obsessed with eating "enough" protein they buy protein powders of all things! Forbes Welcome

If people wanted to eat a diet that created a healthy immune system where it would be impossible for cancer to survive, they'd have to eat only alkaline forming foods of low protein raw fruit and raw vegetables and no grains or legumes -- similar to what man ate between the times of Adam and Noah when man lived to nearly 1000 years old (not all the acidic food that makes up the standard American diet).

Getting rid of all disease--not just cancer -- is as simple (not that it is easy to do but if you have the discipline to do it, it is doable) as cutting out the acid forming foods and detoxing out the hardened mucus and getting the immune/lymphatic system unclogged and moving again.

Here, Dr. Robert Morse, a biochemist, master herbalist, iridologist and naturopathic doctor debunks the myths about cancer we've accepted as fact for far too long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14MSkIHDtxY
1000 years old?! Really now?! There is absolutely zero evidence that anyone has ever lived anything close to 1000 years.

BTW, if any of this was true there should be at least a few people out of the billions on this planet that would be following this type of diet and would be a few hundred years old at least.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:33 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,256,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
He said:

I heard a coworker say this and more than likely it was directed towards me. He's a fat slob, that smokes.

I thought it was very stupid. Everyone in my department knows I am a health oriented person in terms of eating. Out of 12 of us, I am the only one that eats healthy.

"You can be healthy all of your life and develop cancer......" Essentially he was justifying why he doesn't take care of himself

As if cancer is the only health issue a person can incur for unhealthy eating habits.

Actually, he has a point. Getting older is the number risk factor for coming down with cancer. And if this gentleman is morbidly obese and smokes, he stands less of a chance of getting old with its increased risk of cancer as he may well die before reaching old age.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:42 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
There is some research that suggests that reducing protein intake may be beneficial. The trick is to do it while avoiding malnutrition.

Quote:

The acidity or alkalinity of food makes no difference. No matter what you eat, the body tightly regulates its acid/base balance.

There is no "mucus" in the lymphatic system. There is nothing to "detox" and get moving again. Lymphatics can become disrupted, but if that happens you have a problem that will not be fixed by diet.

Quote:
Iridology? Really?

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/iridology/

About Robert Morse, N.D., D.Sc., I.D., M.H. – GrapeGate

"Dr. Morse holds a Doctorate of Science in Biochemistry and a Doctorate of Naturopathy from the Brantridge Forest School in Sussex, England."

Brantridge Forest School is a diploma mill.

While we are at it, let's hear it about naturopathy:

The shocking confessions of a naturopathic doctor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer