Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 05:51 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPanda View Post
You wouldn't believe how many doctors I've discussed this with. NONE of them have offered any solutions. Not her oncologist, pain doctor, or internist. None of them. I'm going it alone here. They just dismiss her like they think she should just die now and get out of the way.
I've heard this before and I feel bad for you. My mother had breast cancer at age 81. Have you read this magazine, Cure? It's free to all cancer patients, and the articles are available online as well. Lymphoma | Cure Today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 06:11 AM

428 posts, read 643,474 times
Poor lady, chemo itself can be so horrid, and to still feel so sick this much later is so sad.

I too couldnt eat a thing, and my drs solution was to threaten me with hopsitalisation and a feeding tube, which terrified me.

I was so utterly miserable (and frankly didn't care if i survived or not at that point) that i was even willing to try smoking a joint before giving up entirely.

It took ONE puff for my appetite to come ROARING back, lol.
So while i was still sick to my stomach and fighting nausea constantly, the desire to eat was back, and that helped me start to eat again at long last.

As it turns out there are many many strains of marijuana, some much,much better than others for medical use than recreation.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:06 PM

69 posts, read 140,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I've heard this before and I feel bad for you. My mother had breast cancer at age 81. Have you read this magazine, Cure? It's free to all cancer patients, and the articles are available online as well. Lymphoma | Cure Today
I have read Cure. There is some good info there, but most of it is common sense, at least to me.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:07 PM

69 posts, read 140,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
Poor lady, chemo itself can be so horrid, and to still feel so sick this much later is so sad.

I too couldnt eat a thing, and my drs solution was to threaten me with hopsitalisation and a feeding tube, which terrified me.

I was so utterly miserable (and frankly didn't care if i survived or not at that point) that i was even willing to try smoking a joint before giving up entirely.

It took ONE puff for my appetite to come ROARING back, lol.
So while i was still sick to my stomach and fighting nausea constantly, the desire to eat was back, and that helped me start to eat again at long last.

As it turns out there are many many strains of marijuana, some much,much better than others for medical use than recreation.
I'll have to look at some different strains. Do you think it still works if eaten? There is no possible way she will smoke it. Her lungs and throat are very sensitive.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:13 PM

16 posts, read 17,892 times
I'm so sorry your mother is experiencing the effects of Chemotherapy. All I can tell you is from my experience of going through 4 rounds of Chemo and a Bone Marrow transplant for Leukemia. I can't exactly say when her appetite will return, as we all are different just as people with the same diagnosis might have a different therapy due to their biological makeup. It took me about three months after Chemo when I began to get my appetite back. I was on a neutropenic diet for so long that nothing tasted good. By neutropenic I mean no fruits or fresh vegetables of any kind. I couldn't eat at buffets, no fountain drinks, nothing from an ice machine, just strictly from sealed containers. Let me tell you, my first Burger King Whopper was like heaven. I lost 75 pounds and have gained some of that back. Her appetite will return, I just can't say when.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:03 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,103,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPanda View Post
You wouldn't believe how many doctors I've discussed this with. NONE of them have offered any solutions. Not her oncologist, pain doctor, or internist. None of them. I'm going it alone here. They just dismiss her like they think she should just die now and get out of the way.
I completely understand. Your mom's health care system sounds like my SO's . My impression of their attitude is he's-going-to-die-anyway-so-what's-the-rush.

My SO's dr prescribed pills that are made from pot. But, at least for him, they don't seem to work to stimulate "the munchies", so he doesn't take them. Smoking hasn't helped, but maybe a different "strain" would work. A co-worker suggested pot oil, which looks easy enough to make, so that might be something we try.

One dr suggested setting an alarm as a reminder to eat, and simply eat a small amount. Something is better than nothing.

I'm sorry that your mom is having trouble with this. I know that it isn't easy by any means to watch a person struggle with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer