Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 05:08 PM

488 posts, read 857,123 times

Advertisements

I'm probably overthinking things, and I have somewhat of a reason to (at least in my mind) but I'd like second opinions from anyone out there who may be in the know.

I went in for my annual "well woman" exam with a new doctor, since I'm new to the area. Approximately one year ago I had my last test and I had zero problems, and was never notified of any issues.

My exam was horrible. I've never had it happen before, but I was in horrible pain. Even when she stopped what she was doing, the speculum was pinching horribly and I told her so. She switched to a different one, but that stopped only the pinching, not the horrible pain of the test. She worked as fast as she could and told me there was nothing to worry about. I have no idea why it was like that. There had never been pain before. Discomfort, sure. This felt like she was opening my cervix, not just scraping it for samples. Is that normal?

She told me there was absolutely nothing to worry about, but they would run a bacterial test as well as the Pap test. I got a call that the bacterial test came back positive, that it was nothing to worry about, super common bacterial infection, just take the antibiotics and it would be no problem.

A few days later, I get another call. I honestly don't know if my prior OB/GYN had ever tested for HPV or not, but my new one did. Before she told me anything, she asked if I had ever had an abnormal Pap test before. I had not. So, she told me that my Pap was normal, but my HPV test was positive. She said there was nothing to do, just wait a year and test again.

Now, I know HPV causes cancer. I also read that HPV mostly clears up within 2 years. If the only way to get HPV is sexually, then I also know I've had it for longer than 2 years.

Is there really nothing else to do but just sit around and wait for it to turn into cancer? I had a friend go from normal pap to abnormal pap in one year, and died 10 months later. She was 30. This is why I'm overthinking things. It doesn't seem right to just sit around waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 05:12 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,954 times
Get a second opinion, even if just for peace of mind.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:21 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Remember, all tests have a false positive rate! Just because the HPV test was positive doesn't mean that the result is correct.

Did your doctor tell you whether the test was positive for low-risk HPV, or for high-risk HPV? it it was low risk, there's not much to worry about. If high risk, ask if they can run an HPV 16/18 subtype test on the vial. If the 16/18 test is negative, waiting for a year should be fine. If the 16/18 comes back positive, you might want to consider colposcopy.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:44 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Making Sense of Your Pap & HPV Test Results

With a normal Pap and positive HPV test:

"This means:
Your cervical cells are normal, but you do have HPV.
You may fight off HPV naturally and never get cell changes. Or, you may not fight off HPV, and HPV could cause cell changes in the future.

It is believed that most women fight off HPV within two years. It is not known why some women fight off HPV and others do not.

You should:

Get another Pap test and HPV test in one year.
Cell changes happen slowly. Some time must pass before your doctor can tell if HPV will go away or cause cell changes."

Old 05-18-2016, 08:04 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,209 times
Sometimes HPV goes away on it's own. Get a second opinion and a nicer gynocologist.

My gyno uses her hand to test because she knows that the speculums hurt me. Even when she tried the virginal one (and yes, I am a virgin), I still cried.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:45 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...pv-scared.html

Old 06-03-2016, 07:36 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
I tested positive for it and then in a year it was negative. Your immune system can fight it off.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:12 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post

Is there really nothing else to do but just sit around and wait for it to turn into cancer? I had a friend go from normal pap to abnormal pap in one year, and died 10 months later. She was 30. This is why I'm overthinking things. It doesn't seem right to just sit around waiting.
When in doubt - always get a second opinion. It could save your life. Unless you had a vaginal infection inflaming your tissues, the pap test should not be painful. If something suspicious was found you need to have that checked out right away.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:23 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,884,541 times
I just had the same thing (well, I didn't have pain during the swab, that is VERY unusual and it only takes a few seconds so I don't know why the OP's took so long. Maybe the infection made the tissue more tender)

I did have Candida a few months ago...took an agonizingly long time to clear up because I got the test on a Saturday and didn't get the Rx until Monday.

Anyhoo, Just got a positive low risk HPV result from my GP, being sent to a gynecologist. It seems silly. Just wait a year? WTH? there isn't a single thing you can tell me to do other than wait?

And why didn't I get an HPV vaccine 5 years ago when my daughter did? Just seems like a haphazard care plan.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:45 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,833 times
wish I could ease your mind but waiting a year then a retest seems pretty basic treatment for a non emergency situation. Just think of it as you allowing your body enough time to clear itself of bad cells while you wait.

suspect the pain was due to the infection. which is hopefully better.

chances are all is well or the doctor would have called you in for biopsies.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer