Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:36 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,433,597 times

Advertisements

Yep, thinking about you and hoping for the best possible outcome!
Hugs
Katz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 06:43 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,358 times
My mom just had an open biopsy with wire localization done after her stereotactic proved inconclusive. She said the worst part was the wire placement - it hurt and when she asked for local anesthesia, the tech was rude and said a local would hurt more than the wire placement. I just wanted to bring this up because this "incident" made my mom anxious about the whole thing and, even though everything else went smoothly, she did not expect this part to hurt and it really upset her sitting around with the wire in waiting to be taken for the procedure....

However, on the plus side, recovery was a breeze for her and she only used OTC pain relievers in spite of having a prescription.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,890,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
My mom just had an open biopsy with wire localization done after her stereotactic proved inconclusive. She said the worst part was the wire placement - it hurt and when she asked for local anesthesia, the tech was rude and said a local would hurt more than the wire placement. I just wanted to bring this up because this "incident" made my mom anxious about the whole thing and, even though everything else went smoothly, she did not expect this part to hurt and it really upset her sitting around with the wire in waiting to be taken for the procedure....

However, on the plus side, recovery was a breeze for her and she only used OTC pain relievers in spite of having a prescription.
Did her doctor not discuss the procedure with her before the wire localization? It is absurd to not get a local for that. Even after the fact, I would bring this to her docs attention. My doctor told me I would be getting a local, and a local I got. That rudeness needs to be addressed...not the tech's place to decide whether a local needs to be administered or not!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:10 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,508 times
karen_s, That is horrible what happened to your mother. Yesterday I had the surgery and before the surgery, they put the wire in my lump but gave a local and numbed the whole area first.

I was put under for my surgery. When I was slowly waking up, the doctor came and said it didn't look good. He said that the lump had characteristics of cancer (grainy fibers or something like that) (I was still pretty out of it when he told me this). So I have to call after 3 today to see if the lab reports are in or if they aren't in yet then he said they should be in by Friday. That way we will know for sure what is going on.

I didn't get sick after the surgery which is a first. I told the anesthesiologies that I get sick and he put some stuff in my tube so it would cut the risks of that down and it worked.

It was a long drive there and back and I decided that if I need further treatment I will find someplace closer to Ft Worth or something instead of Dallas. The drive home after the surgery might of been the harshest thing of all of this.

I'm doing okay. The part of my breast where he removed the lump is very red and hot to the touch and sore. I only took one pain medicine before bed because he called me to see how I was doing and I said I didn't need any pain medicine yet but he advised me to take one before bed so I could sleep better. So I did. I'm going to take another one in a bit too.

I'll see how today goes. Bathing is going to be difficult but I will just do some type of sponge bath or something.

I'll tell you guys the results as soon as I get them.

Thanks for all the well wishes!!!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:14 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,479 times
Hang in there Roma, I will keep you in my thoughts today!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:08 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,549,712 times
Thinking of you today, Roma!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:35 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,890,481 times
Rest up Roma! Let us know the results...

Old 02-29-2008, 03:06 PM

Thanks everyone!

I'm still waiting on the lab results and I'm getting a little mad. My surgery was on Wednesday and my doctor said to call Thurs to see if the results are in and if they aren't in by Thurs then they should be in by Friday. Well, it's Friday at 4PM and still no results. The doctors office is kinda rude in general and the people that answer the phone say they don't want to rush the lab and I don't either but does it take this long for results? I may not even get them until Monday now.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:05 PM

I got the results and they are not good. I do have cancer. I have "invasive ductal carcinoma" breast cancer, the most common breast cancer.

I have to decided now if I want to do the mastectomy or lumpectomy. I have breast implants so the lumpectomy means I have to remove the implants for radiation. I have to get my lymph nodes biopsied before any of this to make sure the cancer has not spread.

I can't believe this. I'm in shock.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:11 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,539,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I got the results and they are not good. I do have cancer. I have "invasive ductal carcinoma" breast cancer, the most common breast cancer.

I have to decided now if I want to do the mastectomy or lumpectomy. I have breast implants so the lumpectomy means I have to remove the implants for radiation. I have to get my lymph nodes biopsied before any of this to make sure the cancer has not spread.

I can't believe this. I'm in shock.
I'm so sorry Roma! I know there are many others that have gone through this with a positive outcome & I hope they can offer some words of wisdom. I'm at a loss of what to say...but just that I wish you the strength to make the best decisions for you. My thoughts & prayers are with you.

Last edited by ~Boo~; 02-29-2008 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer