Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 08:29 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,263,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The childhood cancer my son has also has a survival rate exceeding 90% at five years, and those who reach five years are usually home free. My son is now at 27.5 years from his diagnosis.
That's always great to hear!

Old 09-26-2016, 05:43 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,713,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden17 View Post
I have thought for awhile it is caused by environmental factors like air pollution or possibly pollen or something. I think genetics plays a huge role as well. I'm curious what you all think.
Scientists have concluded that some cancers are caused by environmental pollution.
It would be illogical to think that we could live among toxic water toxic air toxic food and that it wouldn't have an effect on our bodies and minds.

to see the toxic chemical load of babies in the womb and right after birth:
"Two separate studies conducted in 2004 and 2008 by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) found that the umbilical cord blood taken from 10 newborn babies contained 200-plus environmental toxins — that’s before they’ve taken more than their first gasp of air or had their first sip of breast milk."
How many toxins is your baby getting in the womb?

I think in some cancers genetics may play a small role, but over-all not. I think the emphasis on genetics, and gene expression is so that some companies can make a LOT of money.

eg. The Myriad company which came up with the genetic test the BRCA gene which supposedly is an indicator of potential for breast cancer tried to patent their test, so patients would have no choice but to pay exorbitant amounts for it.
The Supreme Court said they could not.
The whole thing is a scam, and that will become evident in time.
But in the meantime millions of women will lop off their breasts out of fear and based on a test which is only theoretically accurate.
Human Gene Patents | Breast Cancer Action
~~~
"With family history accounting for only around 10 percent of breast cancer diagnoses, a large and growing body of research indicates that toxic chemicals may increase our risk of developing the disease. In 2010, the President’s Cancer Panel reported that “the true burden of environmentally induced cancer has been grossly underestimated [and] . . . the American people—even before they are born—are bombarded continually with myriad combinations of these dangerous exposures.”

Breast Cancer and Environment | Breast Cancer Action --^

Old 09-26-2016, 01:32 PM

37,133 posts, read 41,338,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
Scientists have concluded that some cancers are caused by environmental pollution.
It would be illogical to think that we could live among toxic water toxic air toxic food and that it wouldn't have an effect on our bodies and minds.

to see the toxic chemical load of babies in the womb and right after birth:
"Two separate studies conducted in 2004 and 2008 by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) found that the umbilical cord blood taken from 10 newborn babies contained 200-plus environmental toxins — that’s before they’ve taken more than their first gasp of air or had their first sip of breast milk."
How many toxins is your baby getting in the womb?

I think in some cancers genetics may play a small role, but over-all not. I think the emphasis on genetics, and gene expression is so that some companies can make a LOT of money.

eg. The Myriad company which came up with the genetic test the BRCA gene which supposedly is an indicator of potential for breast cancer tried to patent their test, so patients would have no choice but to pay exorbitant amounts for it.
The Supreme Court said they could not.
The whole thing is a scam, and that will become evident in time.
But in the meantime millions of women will lop off their breasts out of fear and based on a test which is only theoretically accurate.
Human Gene Patents | Breast Cancer Action
~~~
"With family history accounting for only around 10 percent of breast cancer diagnoses, a large and growing body of research indicates that toxic chemicals may increase our risk of developing the disease. In 2010, the President’s Cancer Panel reported that “the true burden of environmentally induced cancer has been grossly underestimated [and] . . . the American people—even before they are born—are bombarded continually with myriad combinations of these dangerous exposures.”

Breast Cancer and Environment | Breast Cancer Action --^
The most dangerous environmental carcinogen is tobacco. Viruses (hepatitis B, HPV, Epstein Barr virus) can also cause cancer and H. pylori bacteria have been associated with it. Radiation from the sun can cause cancer, as can radon gas. Women with some conditions that cause them to have high estrogen levels because they do not ovulate are at risk to get uterine lining cancer. Breast cancer can also be caused by estrogen. Being obese can increase the risk of breast cancer by increasing estrogen. All of those are environmental causes of cancer.

The contribution of genetics is not "over-all" small. Ten percent of breast cancers is a significant number of cancers. In addition, genetics may explain why some people will get cancer when exposed to an environmental agent and some will not. Every smoker does not get cancer, for example.

With regard to Myriad, the issue that went to the Supreme Court was not a patent on a test for the BRCA gene. Myriad wanted to patent the gene itself. The court said the company could not do that. The test itself is accurate; it does indeed identify the genes. There is no scam involved in BRCA testing. Cost is an entirely different issue, and the proliferation of genealogical DNA testing at a small fraction of the cost of medical DNA testing shows us that the pricing for medical tests is out of whack.

The association of the BRCA gene with breast cancer is real, not theoretical, and the decision to have surgery is based on an evaluation of the level of risk for the individual patient.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...-fact-sheet#q2

"Breast cancer: About 12 percent of women in the general population will develop breast cancer sometime during their lives (4). By contrast, according to the most recent estimates, 55 to 65 percent of women who inherit a harmful BRCA1 mutation and around 45 percent of women who inherit a harmful BRCA2 mutation will develop breast cancer by age 70 years."

"Ovarian cancer: About 1.3 percent of women in the general population will develop ovarian cancer sometime during their lives (4). By contrast, according to the most recent estimates, 39 percent of women who inherit a harmful BRCA1 mutation (5, 6) and 11 to 17 percent of women who inherit a harmful BRCA2 mutation will develop ovarian cancer by age 70 years."

BRCA testing is not a scam. Women who have the genes are at considerable risk to develop breast (and ovarian) cancers, and the decision to remove the breasts (and ovaries) is one the patient has to make after considerable counselling. Take Angelina Jolie, for example. She says her personal risk of getting breast cancer was estimated at 87% and ovarian cancer at 50%.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...ism-revisited/

The link explains how the BRCA genes are involved in producing cancers.

Certainly we should try to find carcinogens in the environment and reduce exposure to them where possible. That does not mean that genetic causes of cancer are trivial. They are not.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:33 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,398,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
If you get a chance, read the book The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee, an oncologist. It's fascinating, and makes one realize how complex cancer is, and how difficult it will be to eradicate, although we have certainly come a long way.
I did not read the book but I did watch the Netflix series. Fascinating. It was very difficult to keep watching it because it was painful to watch the people have hope, then the Cancer comes back. I left with the feeling we know very little about Cancer--how it comes about and how to cure it. I was also left with disgust on how the Pharmaceutical Companies and doctors make out with the $$$.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 AM

75 posts, read 73,595 times
because we keep talking about it. Law of attraction. Also quack doctors cut out tumors to only spread it. Some tumors are benign. our bodies encapsulate them as a defense mechanism. Stress is the number one cause of illness. Wake up every day and say I am always healthy"

Old 10-07-2016, 10:34 AM

37,133 posts, read 41,338,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I did not read the book but I did watch the Netflix series. Fascinating. It was very difficult to keep watching it because it was painful to watch the people have hope, then the Cancer comes back. I left with the feeling we know very little about Cancer--how it comes about and how to cure it. I was also left with disgust on how the Pharmaceutical Companies and doctors make out with the $$$.
There is no such disease as "Cancer". There are many different types of cancer, they have different causes, and some are very curable.

There is a tremendous amount known about cancer, and more is being learned every day.

What do you find disgusting about people being paid for the work they do? How do you propose that cures for cancers be developed without investing money to do so? How do you propose that companies be reimbursed for finding those drugs and making them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batemansbay View Post
because we keep talking about it. Law of attraction. Also quack doctors cut out tumors to only spread it. Some tumors are benign. our bodies encapsulate them as a defense mechanism. Stress is the number one cause of illness. Wake up every day and say I am always healthy"
Benign tumors are not cancers. That is not what we are talking about.

Some cancers can be spread during surgery. That is because of the nature of cancer, not because the surgeon is a "quack", and measures are taken at the time of surgery to minimize the risk. Surgery will not turn a benign tumor into a cancer and cause it to spread.

Stress does not cause cancer.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:37 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,438,444 times
Default How close do you think scientists are to a cure?

I believe there already is a cure, big the Pharmaceuticals are making way too much money on chemo and other drugs to allow it to surface.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:42 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,825,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batemansbay View Post
Not exactly.

Any credibility you had flew square out the window with "quack doctors." Tell me how four years of college, four years of medical school, internship and residency makes a physician a quack?

Then, the notion that surgery spreads cancer. Negative.

Do you know what the natural cure cancer is? Death.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,877,205 times
This thread has derailed so far off the tracks there's no going back. We have Alt Med and Supplements for those ideas. Cancer forum sticks to western med.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer