Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 07:16 AM

965 posts, read 938,193 times

Advertisements

Planning on a quit date, and the "at least" 72 hours will help you stay to quit. Maybe join an online quit group. I used quitnet, but not sure it still exists. Have you considered Chantix, it helps some. I used a patch the first day, and then went cold turkey, alone in the woods.

10 years in because I WANTED to quit for good. Good for you, but be sure you want it more than anything. And if you still want cannabis, use edibles. It might actually help for the quit at least. Smoking it is harsh!

Best of luck. Everyone I know with lung cancer did not know they had it. The pulled pectoral muscle sound about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 02:07 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Cannabis - despite everyone in the alternative health forum thinking its a miracle cure-all from God, has a number of side -effects. One that's been observed is increased bronchial and lung inflammation. You seem to connect your pain to cannabis smoking - you might want to consider not smoking it.

If you don't want to give it up entirely - consider using a vaporizer which doesn't combust it. I don't know why anyone would burn cannabis rather than use a vaporizer as far as health is concerned.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:12 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We all totally agree with what you are saying, but the important thing for all to remember is: lecturing people about the danger of smoking isn't going to do much good until a person is ready to quit. I know, I was one of those. I had to try many times before I finally beat it. It has been said, tobacco is the most addictive drug there is. What we all need to do is support a person trying to give it up.
I'm glad that you said tobacco instead of nicotine.

The main reason it is so hard to quit smoking is because cigarettes are available legally in almost any store on any street. It is not more addicting than drugs.

We know that if we crave a cig, for just a few bucks and a short walk or drive, we can pick up a pack.

To the OP: look into electronic cigarettes. Nicotine on its own is not the bad guy in the equation. It's the tobacco, additives to the tobacco and the paper it is rolled into. Light it and you have a recipe for disaster. I've been a non smoker for over 4 years now and was only able to quit with the help of them.

The FDA themselves have stated that patches and gum can be used indefinitely as they see that nicotine on its own is not as dangerous as once thought.

In never smokers, nicotine has been shown to be not addictive in most cases (they've studied nic for ADHD and treatment for Alzheimer's). Smokers, on the other hand, have the addiction because of the other things in cigarettes. Not to mention the hand to mouth habit that we've developed over years of smoking.

You can lower your nic at your own pace. I know of many that have managed to quit vaping also over time.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:59 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I'm 31 years old and I've smoked on and off for 8 years. I know seeing a doctor and quitting smoking are my best options, but I just wanted to get an opinion. I plan on stopping smoking next month.

For about a month I've had this dull ache in my chest, around the pectoral area that comes and goes. It's not associated with deep breathing of coughing. I would say on a pain scale it's about a 1 to 2 out of 10. Many times I don't even notice it if I am not thinking about it. It started when I was smoking cannabis, which I have since stopped and haven't touched for a few weeks. It did improve after stopping cannabis but it hasn't gone completely away. When I was smoking cannabis I'd sometimes get sharper pain but that never happens without MJ.

One thing is when feeling my pectoral muscles there is a tender area right where the ache spot is. It also seems to go away with exercise.

What does lung cancer chest pain feel like and does this sound like something I should be worried about at this time?

Could it also either be a pulled muscle or acid reflux?
Much chest pain is acid reflux or some other stomach issue. At your age, I think its more likely to be something like that than stomach cancer. I have felt virtually all my acid reflux in my chest.

1. GIVE UP SMOKING NOW.

2. Get it checked out.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:51 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I'm glad that you said tobacco instead of nicotine.

To the OP: look into electronic cigarettes. Nicotine on its own is not the bad guy in the equation. It's the tobacco, additives to the tobacco and the paper it is rolled into.
You are mistaken. Nicotine is highly addictive.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...tine-addictive

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Health...p#.WSjaDOvyvcs

https://quitsmokingcommunity.org/how...ine-addiction/

Old 05-27-2017, 05:51 AM

First link is from 2012 - outdated information
Second link still is using nicotine IN cigarettes as the example. Nicotine along with the rest of the chemicals in cigarettes is addictive. No question or argument from me on that.
Third link is absolutely ridiculous. It sites a paper from 1994 that says that nicotine is more addictive than herion or crack. It's only the hardest because it is so readily available.....and legal.

This from the FDA: https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Con.../ucm345087.htm

CURRENT studies are showing that in NEVER smokers, nicotine does not create a dependency. It is the combination and the alkaloids in the tobacco leaf that create the strong dependency on Cigarettes. Remove the alkaloids and just take the nicotine, it is not the bad guy.

Study finds nicotine safe, helps in Alzheimer's, Parkinson's | Tampa Bay Times

For starters, nicotine by itself isn't very addictive at all, according to Dr. Paul Newhouse, the director of Vanderbilt University's Center for Cognitive Medicine. Nicotine seems to require assistance from other substances found in tobacco to get people hooked.

People get confused because until recently, nicotine and smoking were one and the same when studied. They aren't. Take nicotine and isolate it, it becomes about as harmful as caffeine.

I know I will never convince some people but hopefully, some can open their mind and realize things aren't always what we were lead to believe. Research is always going on and scientists are always finding out things that contradict something they've thought for years.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:15 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
First link is from 2012 - outdated information
Oh, in the past five years, scientists have found that nicotine is not addictive? Come on. And you're refuting an FDA study with something from the Tampa Bay Times?

Quote:
Second link still is using nicotine IN cigarettes as the example. CURRENT studies are showing that in NEVER smokers, nicotine does not create a dependency.
This thread is about lung cancer and smoking, and has nothing to do with "never smokers."

Old 05-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Oh, in the past five years, scientists have found that nicotine is not addictive? Come on. And you're refuting an FDA study with something from the Tampa Bay Times?

This thread is about lung cancer and smoking, and has nothing to do with "never smokers."
Yes, I am. The FDA themselves in the last two years have backpeddled on the addiction and nic stance.

I agree that the thread is about smoking and lung cancer. I'm not disputing that. Smoking is not good. Period. No argument there.

I was just refuting the misconception that nicotine, not in regards to smoking, is highly addictive.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:11 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Well, I knew a guy who experienced a chest pain that was not heart-related, and later find out that it was an ulcer on his esophagus.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:16 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,707,735 times
I think it is unlikely that an early cancer of the lung/s would cause any pain.

Later stages with coughing up blood and phlegm I would consider a type of pain or discomfort.

Smoking is the number one cause of lung cancer and lung cancer is the number one killer cancer.

Lung cancer deaths per year
In 2012, the most recent year for which we have statistics available, 157,423 people -- 86,689 men and 70,734 women -- died from lung cancer in the U.S. Since smoking is responsible for 85 percent of lung cancers, statistically lung cancer caused by smoking is responsible for nearly 135,000 U.S. deaths per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer