Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 09:33 PM

268 posts, read 227,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
And this is just a guess, but my guess is that most alternative cancer treatments are just ways to get money from desperate patients.
I have to agree with you since the people selling alternative cures do no blood tests, perform no biopsies and do no scans. They have no clue what really ails the person they're taking the money from. I'm not against alternative medicine if it's done along with conventional medicine and the person is under an Oncologist's care. Otherwise it is just a way to fleece the desperate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 07:00 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Robin Bush, the toddler daughter of Barbara and former Pres George HW Bush, died of leukemia just before her 4th birthday in 1953. Today, leukemia has a 94% survival rate.
Barbara Bush recalls daughter's death: 'I saw her spirit go' - TODAY.com

Old 06-29-2017, 10:58 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
It can also depend on how good your doctor is:
My oncologist told me I should do chemo and expect to live 2 years. I got a second opinion, did surgery and chemo, and am NED (no evidence of disease) 5 years later.

And studies only show an average, they don't guarantee anything.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:53 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,504,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I've been recently diagnosed with cancer. I'm refusing all treatment. My doctor told me he's never, ever seen treatment work other than to prolong life for a very short time and make the patient miserable.

I'm sure some cancers are different and respond well to treatment.

Bottom line: It's all about the money.
A Reader's Digest article that I found and agree with. It is very eye-opening and thought provoking. I would not have chemo or radiation, I am not good at being physically sick and it would only prolong the process. Therefore I have chosen to no longer receive traditional internal cancer screenings, such as pap tests, mammograms or colonoscopy. I will continue to have an annual physical with blood work, and an annual external skin exam, and improve my diet, exercise and living style.

A Fascinating Look at How Doctors Choose to Die*|*Reader's Digest

Old 07-01-2017, 03:59 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
A Reader's Digest article that I found and agree with. It is very eye-opening and thought provoking. I would not have chemo or radiation, I am not good at being physically sick and it would only prolong the process. Therefore I have chosen to no longer receive traditional internal cancer screenings, such as pap tests, mammograms or colonoscopy. I will continue to have an annual physical with blood work, and an annual external skin exam, and improve my diet, exercise and living style.

A Fascinating Look at How Doctors Choose to Die*|*Reader's Digest
The point of that article is that doctors will usually refuse care that they perceive to be futile or of little benefit.

I see no evidence that doctors would reject care that is known to have excellent outcomes, for example screening colonoscopy, which can enable removal of polyps before they become cancerous, or Pap smears, which can find precancerous conditions which can also be treated early, before invasive cancers develop.

In addition, it is not true that any cancer treatment will "only prolong the process." That presumes that no cancer is curable, and that presumption is false.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:54 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
I would not have chemo or radiation, I am not good at being physically sick
Few people get physically sick from chemo today; there are many medications that combat nausea.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:48 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Chemo wasn't that bad for me. I had several medications to counter the side effects. They did such a good job I was able to work during that period.

I had the worst side effect from decadron. I started refusing it, the effects were worse that the symptoms it was supposed to combat. I had other nausea medications that did a good job for me.

A week after my last treatment I was out setting grave memorials as a solo operator. That night I was tired but otherwise accomplished what was needed. That's when I knew 100% that I was going to be okay.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:55 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Therefore I have chosen to no longer receive traditional internal cancer screenings, such as pap tests, mammograms or colonoscopy.
So...instead of finding out you have a precancerous condition or early stage cancer that is highly curable, you'd prefer to wait until you have an advanced and incurable cancer? There is something wrong with this logic.

I was treated (surgery/chemo/radiation) for an early stage breast cancer and have been "cured"/in remission for eight and a half years now. In retrospect, the treatment is no more than a blip on the radar. I never even think about it and in no way does it have any impact on my current healthy life. In the meantime, I've seen a cousin and a friend both die of breast cancer that was discovered too late. It wasn't pretty.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:46 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are many who put their name on RSO but Rick himself does not sell it and states that if you see a product for sale with his name on it you should not buy it. I don't know if RSO cures cancer or not but I can see the value in this product anyway b/c it causes your body to go into deep rest mode. The first night I took some I slept for 12 hours straight. The relaxation benefits are enormous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Steve McQueen went to Mexico for a last ditch treatment with the same result. A guy I knew at work tried laetril when his chemo failed, and he died anyway. Once all the approved medical treatments fail, it's likely that barring a miracle, you are going to die. Bob Marley and Farah Fawcett also tried alternate treatments in Europe and failed.

I saw an interesting documentary on PBS a number of years ago about 6 people who experienced spontaneous remissions from cancer. They had been through all the medical treatments and were told to get their affairs in order, and nothing else could be done for them. Of course these are one in a million incidents, but all six had verified spontaneous remissions and became cancer free for no apparent reason. One of the people said he decided to spend all his money on the best cigars, the best liquor, the best vacations, etc. until he died. Amzingly after doing this for close to a year he had a spontaneous remission. Another person with end stage melanoma was washing their face and the melanomas just began falling off and all traces of the cancer disappeared over a period of weeks and never returned.
It's not quite as 1 in a million as most people believe. I know at least 3 people who've had a spontaneous remission, tho one of them may still be carrying a dormant brain tumor 25 years later--not sure as I haven't talked to this distant cousin in awhile--from his FB posts he seems to be doing great and is raising a small son with downs by himself.

One of them was my pastor--he was getting ready to have surgery for pancreatic cancer and chose to have an anointing ceremony done, something he deeply believes in, and when he went into surgery the next day the tumor was gone. Hallelujah! Now he is heading on 90 and has had other bouts with cancer. In the early days he got conventional tx but later he trended towards holistic and as I stated he's still kickin.

The last case I know of is incredible and is of a woman who is the granddaughter of a very good friend of mine and the first time she told me the story it simply did not compute but we've had many discussions since then. The young woman had two sons of elem/middle school age and a great job making six figures but her work was stressful and she was always tired so her winning strategy was to get addicted to meth and then as her life crumbled she made more and more poor choices and ripped off the company where she worked and got caught and was about to lose her boys and then found out she had extensive stage IV uterine cancer. It was too bad to operate and there was no hope so they sent her home to get her affairs in order and spend her remaining time connecting with her children. She did more than that--she reached out and made amends to everyone she had hurt during her "stupid time" and on the next doc appt the doc came up from the exam with the most incredulous look on his face. The cancer was gone. That was about 8 years ago and she is still doing well tho she has to have minor surgeries to unclog ureters and that type of thing. The best part tho is that her family has been healed by this experience as well.

A woman wrote a book about this phenomenon--it's called Radical Remission by Dr. Kelly Turner, PhD. This is associated with a huge database of people who've had these and Dr. Turner examined the cases to see what they all had in common and found that most of the cases fell into 9 neat categories, which is convenient for a book lol. Only two of the categories were physical: eating right and taking certain supplements, so the rest were things like emotional healing, which is something that conventional medicine tends to overlook. The point is that they all did something.

Anyway, I don't see much point in fighting over whether conventional or holistic is better--they both have their place. I only do holistic for stage III breast cancer (I think, since I never had surgery) and was dx'ed almost 4 years ago. I go to an actual holistic MD and he works on balancing my body.

What I've found is that it's not so hard to slow down the growth of a tumor but it's not so easy to make it go away with holistic means. I'm okay with that and have a great quality of life--much better than when I started. I don't know how to explain it except to say that I feel this is my correct path and I felt very strongly and intuitively from the beginning that if I did conventional I would not have a good outcome. My experience is not for everyone tho and everyone must choose the course they feel is best for them and not let themselves get bullied by family or medical personnel into choosing something they are not comfortable with.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:35 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Op - Just a few days ago Yale published the results of a study by the:"Cancer Outcomes, Public Policy and Effectiveness Research (COPPER) Center at Yale School of Medicine and Yale Cancer Center."
When they compared two groups of patients (560 conventional and 281 only alternative medicines) and found statistically significant (95% CI) greater risk of death in the alternative medicine-only patients. (They did not look at a combo of conventional and alternative). The actual paper is in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute (but has also been reported in some newspapers):
https://academic.oup.com/jnci/articl...dFrom=fulltext
Of course this was an actual study. Its just a set of hard numbers versus made-up & untested speculative theories of disease, internet "research" of opinion pieces, and conspiracy theory mavens favorite go-to-topics. No doubt the latter will win out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer