Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 02:11 PM

951 posts, read 1,456,737 times

Advertisements

Several old people around me has some sort of cancer. When I talked to them regarding how they detected it, it was always by luck or some symptom that revealed something is wrong.

But by the time the symptoms make you suspicious and you end up in doctor's office, you are already at stage 4.

Also, same people told me annual physical check can not detect cancer because it is only blood and urine work. So what are we supposed to do to early detect cancer? Just tell the doctor to have an MRI or CT done for the whole body? But then insurance does not cover this, because it is not done because doctor orders it, it is because we want to do it just by our leisure?

What is the solution here if we want to catch it on or before Stage 1?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 10:38 PM

268 posts, read 228,183 times
There is no answer that would be helpful to you. To answer your question fully. Many of the cancers have no symptoms until advanced and incurable. Some things to get checked out quickly are unusual headaches with confusion or sleepiness. Unusual bowel movements, bowel changes with possibly blood showing. Blood in your urine. A odd pain that shows up somewhere such as a hip joint. .... see what I mean?

Old 06-06-2017, 06:35 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,819,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
Several old people around me has some sort of cancer. When I talked to them regarding how they detected it, it was always by luck or some symptom that revealed something is wrong.

But by the time the symptoms make you suspicious and you end up in doctor's office, you are already at stage 4.

Also, same people told me annual physical check can not detect cancer because it is only blood and urine work. So what are we supposed to do to early detect cancer? Just tell the doctor to have an MRI or CT done for the whole body? But then insurance does not cover this, because it is not done because doctor orders it, it is because we want to do it just by our leisure?

I sent you a DM on my thoughts.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,959,929 times
Quote:

First of all, many cancers are detected way before they reach stage 4 and most lab tests help to detect various cancers. These tests are done when anyone has their annual physical. there will never be a 100% way to test for all cancers but paying close attention to changes in your body will to along way. Of course no one should expect to have insurance cover CT as a routine check. But many tests are covered or partly covered: checking a mans PSA: Mamograms: colonoscopies, all help detect early cancers. BTW even stage 4 cancers can be healed in many cases.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:21 PM

951 posts, read 1,456,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
First of all, many cancers are detected way before they reach stage 4 and most lab tests help to detect various cancers. These tests are done when anyone has their annual physical.

I am not sure what you are talking about here

In my annual physical there was only blood and urine tests. I rejected prostate check with hand. So what other tests are you talking about?

Blood and urine tests have nothing to with cancer. CT MRI or other tests are not part of annual physical. So you need to order separately which doctor would not authorize on his own.

So I am confused

Old 06-07-2017, 02:29 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,819,423 times
If one wants a whole body scan, you pay for it. I've seen these advertised on tv over the years but I have no desire. You can buy a body scan every year if you want to.

Both my parents had types of cancers when they died in their 90's. No cancer treatments they were too old.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:48 PM

26,807 posts, read 26,940,797 times
Quote:
Blood and urine tests have nothing to with cancer. CT MRI or other tests are not part of annual physical. So you need to order separately which doctor would not authorize on his own.
Many symptoms of cancer, such as sudden weight loss, difficulty breathing, bloating, pain in an area of the body, etc, would be checked out during a doctor appointment, during which time additional tests would be ordered.

Quote:
Several old people around me has some sort of cancer.
And the older a person is, the greater the chance of any type of cancer occurring, since the number of cell mutations increases as one ages.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:46 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,562,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Many symptoms of cancer, such as sudden weight loss, difficulty breathing, bloating, pain in an area of the body, etc, would be checked out during a doctor appointment, during which time additional tests would be ordered.

And the older a person is, the greater the chance of any type of cancer occurring, since the number of cell mutations increases as one ages.
Take pain very seriously. My late husband complained of a new pain on the right side of his abdomen that continued for years. Since he was a 30+ year Crohn's patient, his doctor prescribed more pain (opioid) meds. Next he would get bone chilling cold standing outside in 90F heat. When his blood tests came back abnormally low they started poking around for answers via a colonoscopy, kidney function and finally a cat or mri showed a "massive" tumor on his kidney. He refused treatment and died just 20 days later. Doctors can fail their patients; his did!

Old 06-09-2017, 06:41 AM

5,849 posts, read 6,209,421 times
Quote:

Blood and urine tests have nothing to with cancer
They do if you have any of the many Hematology based cancers such as leukemia, lymphoma etc. Bloodwork results well outside the norm will prompt further testing.

Another health issue that can be a clue is broken bones. A lot of people sustain pathological fractures and go to the ER to find an unknown cancer has spread throughout their body.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 06-09-2017 at 06:51 AM..

Old 06-29-2017, 11:06 PM

10,922 posts, read 7,453,956 times
a PET scan can show cancers all over your body. cost about $6000 5 or 6 years ago (my insurance paid since my doc ordered it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer