Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 09:44 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And once you've had treatment, especially radiation which causes cancer itself (which is why they use the lead blanket, people leaving the room for protection), you are likely to get a secondary cancer, unfortunately. The literature backs this up, and some chemo lists secondary cancer as a side effect.
Treatment can cause secondary cancers but they are not frequent, certainly not "likely" to happen.

People who give radiotherapy protect themselves because they deal with radiation on a daily basis.

https://www.nccn.org/patients/resour...rstanding.aspx

"Linda S. Sutton, MD, medical director at Duke Oncology Network, Duke University Health System in Durham, North Carolina, says that developing a secondary cancer from cancer treatment is a relatively rare occurrence. 'Certain predispositions like genetic syndromes or hereditary do play a factor, but for the most part, the risk of developing a secondary cancer from treatments including chemotherapy and radiation is very small,' Sutton says.

Furthermore, she adds that patients should not cause themselves undue worry about this possibility. 'The biggest risk to patients with cancer is the cancer that they are battling. They should follow the treatment plan designed by their oncologist and not worry about other factors.' She goes on to say that, 'The vast majority of patients are not going to develop a secondary malignancy because of cancer treatment for the original cancer.'"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 07:14 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Also be sure to read these comments with a grain of salt. There are a few posters here who definitely have ulterior motives when offering advice. Do some research on your own if you have health questions.

There is a ton of literature that shows the risk of secondary cancer for those undergoing cancer treatment. I won't post all the links to studies because I could be here all day, but doctors know this. Pharmaceutical companies know this. Nurses know this. Anyone who researches PubMed knows this. The risk is real and sometimes significant depending on the treatment used.

I hope your friend is OK.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:42 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Also be sure to read these comments with a grain of salt. There are a few posters here who definitely have ulterior motives when offering advice. Do some research on your own if you have health questions.

There is a ton of literature that shows the risk of secondary cancer for those undergoing cancer treatment. I won't post all the links to studies because I could be here all day, but doctors know this. Pharmaceutical companies know this. Nurses know this. Anyone who researches PubMed knows this. The risk is real and sometimes significant depending on the treatment used.

I hope your friend is OK.
As a person currently undergoing chemo, the risk of a secondary cancer is not on my radar as I am trying (successfully at this time) to survive my current cancer. The odds of me getting a secondary cancer are smaller than me dying from the current cancer without treatment.

I choose chemo for a chance of living.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:27 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
As a person currently undergoing chemo, the risk of a secondary cancer is not on my radar as I am trying (successfully at this time) to survive my current cancer. The odds of me getting a secondary cancer are smaller than me dying from the current cancer without treatment.

And as I said, risk varies with type of cancer and type of treatment. In some cases it is higher than others. You may be one of the lucky ones that won't have to face a secondary cancer.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:39 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:

That is exactly the approach you should have.

The risk of developing cancer due to treatment for cancer does exist, but it is not as high as some posts in this thread are trying to make it seem.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:22 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:

Amen. I second that.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:24 PM

419 posts, read 387,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

The risk of developing cancer due to treatment for cancer does exist, but it is not as high as some posts in this thread are trying to make it seem.
I agree with Suzy-Q.

Robino1, you have the right attitude, and I'm sure NED is just around the corner. When battling cancer, you have to do what needs to be done. Saving your life now is much more important than something that may or may not happen due to any treatment. This may be considered anecdotal, but I have known and am one who had chemo several years ago. So far, none of us have been stricken with a secondary cancer due to the chemo. However, I have known some breast cancer patients who never chemo but had recurrences.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:28 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

On Christmas day we received a call that they found a tumor in my wife's femur. Since then we found out that she has stage 4 and it probably started in her lungs and has spread not only to her hip; but also to her liver. She has since had a pin installed in her femur to stabilize her bone; not to remove the tumor. She has not started chemo or radiation; but will shortly.

We were told that years ago she would have less than one year; but today everything is changing. New drugs are extending lives for even some stage four cancer victims. Of course it is too early to say if their treatments will work on my wife; we hope so! It all depends on how she responds to the drugs. The doctor that we talked to today told us that he had a patient coming in that afternoon and she was diagnosed with stage 4 five years ago. So we have some hope left and it did not get to her brain as per the results of the last MRI.

This year we will celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. My wife has accepted the fact that her days/years are numbered - she never wanted to go last. Right now our biggest problem is controlling the pain and that will not really happen until the treatments start. The 'plan' is to use chemo to treat the cancer, radiation to treat the pain and control the advance of the cancer from the surgery she had, and to strengthen her bones to prevent fractures.

I hope that I will be still talking about her treatment in five years.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Different types but a very good friend's 1st wife was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer in 2003. She died in 2017 and had many good years. I hope your wife is as successful.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:59 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
On Christmas day we received a call that they found a tumor in my wife's femur. Since then we found out that she has stage 4 and it probably started in her lungs and has spread not only to her hip; but also to her liver. She has since had a pin installed in her femur to stabilize her bone; not to remove the tumor. She has not started chemo or radiation; but will shortly.

We were told that years ago she would have less than one year; but today everything is changing. New drugs are extending lives for even some stage four cancer victims. Of course it is too early to say if their treatments will work on my wife; we hope so! It all depends on how she responds to the drugs. The doctor that we talked to today told us that he had a patient coming in that afternoon and she was diagnosed with stage 4 five years ago. So we have some hope left and it did not get to her brain as per the results of the last MRI.

This year we will celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. My wife has accepted the fact that her days/years are numbered - she never wanted to go last. Right now our biggest problem is controlling the pain and that will not really happen until the treatments start. The 'plan' is to use chemo to treat the cancer, radiation to treat the pain and control the advance of the cancer from the surgery she had, and to strengthen her bones to prevent fractures.

I hope that I will be still talking about her treatment in five years.
I so sincerely hope your wife does well. Treatments these days are more cancer specific and tailored to that cancer.

{{{hugs}}}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer