Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 02:29 PM

189 posts, read 172,250 times

Advertisements

My friend who has cancer (I am not sure what type but assuming breast). has stop contacting most of her friends but I just saw today on FB she went through 6 months of chemo and was on her last course today. Does that mean you are cancer free? I’m hoping so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 03:01 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Its not a certainty. Personally I don't like the phrase "cancer free". Surgery obviously is intended to remove the known cancerous tumor, so if there are no signs after that, some might say it. Chemo is not a cure, it is intended to reduce the likelihood that cancerous cells not removed by surgery continue to grow and cause damage. For how long is still a question. So much depends on her specific type of cancer, how aggressive it is, how advanced it was when found, whether it had metastasized, and her individual body's response to treatment.

So what is she? It may be more accurate is to say that she "has no detectable signs of disease" at this time. She may never have any further problems. Again, depending on the type, it could recur next year. Ten years from now. Thirty years from now. There is just no way to say for sure.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:17 PM

Thanks. But when you are on your last treatment does that mean you have no detectable cancer and that is why she was able to stop chemo?

Old 01-16-2018, 03:21 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
Thanks. But when you are on your last treatment does that mean you have no detectable cancer and that is why she was able to stop chemo?
I had a nice friend who had about 2 yrs of various types of chemo, I think her cancer started with breast but it did spread, she passed away a few months ago.

A case close to home was my grandkids dad, I don't know how many different chemo drugs they had him taking and the cancer started in his lungs and it did spread, he was gone in 6 months time.

I've heard positive stories but negative ones too.

Personally, I hope my prevention remedies are working for me.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-16-2018 at 03:49 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 03:29 PM

If she still had delectable cancer though she wouldn’t be on her last treatment right?

Old 01-16-2018, 03:30 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
No not necessarily. Chemo is done in cycles for a prescribed period. At the end of a cycle another assessment is made, scans, tests etc.

At the end of a Chemo cycle there may be no change in the tumor load, there may be a slight decrease, major decrease, no detectable load. Heck it could be worse.

Because someone has finished a cycle of chemo you can't make any assumptions on their status.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:31 PM

The post says this “this part of the journey was successful and I hope the next part of it is as successful as the first”. So not exactly sure what that means.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:43 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
You are cancer free after 5 years of initially every few months, then twice a year monitoring results. Only AFTER a physician does official conclusion. I have a living example in the family.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:50 PM

532 posts, read 446,138 times
Quote:

There is a not a simple answer but usually the end of chemo is a significant milestone and a great relief for the patient and a reason to post a congrats , a like or a heart on her FB.

My wife went through the breast cancer journey and will receive her last infusion next month the day before Valentines day.

In breast Cancer usually chemo is part of a plan that includes: Surgery (lumpectomy or mastectomy), Chemo infusions from several months up to a year or more, radiation every day for about 6 weeks.

Chemotherapy:
My wife had Stage 2a so no evidence of disease outside of the tumor in her breast right at the beginning.
Her specific tumor was found to have a receptor sensitivity to several targeted drugs which were part of her "chemo cocktail" . No Cancer was thought to be any where else but just to be sure two more "heavy duty" drugs were added just in case. She received the heavy duty stuff for 4 months and had all the classic side effects (hair loss, GI upset, fatigue etc..). Then Surgery, then radiation and then a continuation of the targeted Chemo (not as bad as the first 4 months) which will be done next month.

So usually when surgery is done extra good tissue and lymph nodes are removed and tested to make sure all of the Cancer cells are removed and at that point maybe all the cancer is gone?
Radiation done to expand on the surgery and chemo done systemically to reach every where in the body.

AND after that we will be having followup checkups with the Oncologist closely over the next 5 years

So that is/was our experience...

Anyway like I said now is a good time to congratulate your friend!!!!

Old 01-16-2018, 04:50 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Certain cancers, even when "cured", are notorious for coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer