Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 11:02 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,971,294 times

Advertisements

OP, I'm not going to pile on you. I don't know you, I don't know your life, I don't know your situation, so as a stranger I am not even remotely qualified to presume I can/ought to impose on you what I think you "should" do. How very egotistical that is. It is your life, it is your choice. No one else has to live your life or go through what you go through, so IMO, they don't get a say.

It's a rough situation you're going through. If you decide, after learning about your condition and weighing all of the considerations, that you don't want to go through chemo, I believe that is your choice. If you decide after all that you want to try treatment, that is also your choice. I don't necessarily believe that every existence is worth having; some people want to live-- or try to live-- no matter what, and that's fine, but not everyone wants that and that's fine too. A person gets to choose what they want to go through.

I hope that no matter what you decide, it is the best choice for you and that you find support from family and friends, and that your road is as easy as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 11:06 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleasher View Post
Yes, if it was absolutely guaranteed that it would work, it would be a different story. As it is, it's a huge risk of going through a horror story of side effects just to end dying in the end.

I'd rather die from the disease than from chemo.
I would agree with other types of cancers. With testicular cancer that is not the case.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:31 PM

91 posts, read 59,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have seen a few other threads like this when someone very young is refusing treatment and I now believe that they probably aren’t true.
I was thinking the same thing. This has a very familiar ring to it.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:39 AM

32 posts, read 30,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
It's a rough situation you're going through. If you decide, after learning about your condition and weighing all of the considerations, that you don't want to go through chemo, I believe that is your choice. If you decide after all that you want to try treatment, that is also your choice.
I'm going to bring all that up in the appointment I have tomorrow. I already have a list of topics to talk about.

Old 11-03-2019, 04:06 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes. The first cycle of a round of chemo is by far the worst. After that, it will get easier. I wanted to give up after my first cycle as well. Don't! Sending you strength and support.
With a 70% survival rate, I definitely don't think the OP should give up on chemo, but let's not be overly optimistic about weathering the side effects. I went through six weekly rounds of 24 hour/day infusions over a four-month period (1 week of infusions followed by 2 weeks of R&R X 6), and the side effects got progressively worse over that period of time. Unlike your experience, my first round was by far the easiest.

Neither my cardiologist nor my oncologist thought I was going to survive, but they hid that information from me; and frankly if they hadn't, I might have given up as the OP seems inclined to do. Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't as I have now been cancer-free for almost two years. I've regained all my strength and have been trying to live life to the fullest.

OP: I can relate to what you've been going through. You're much too young to simply give up without a fight. Especially with a 70% chance of survival. If the doctors told you that chemo might only extend your life a few months, then I could see quitting and just requesting palliative care. But that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

Don't just discuss final options with your new oncologist, keep an open mind to any and all treatment options.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:07 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
It sound like the OP is VERY realistic about their choices.......I admire their bravery and wish them luck.

Maybe discuss with your doctor the problems you are having with your current treatment, and discuss a less problematic treatment????

Old 11-04-2019, 07:35 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
It sound like the OP is VERY realistic about their choices.......I admire their bravery and wish them luck.
I disagree. He apparently has a better than 2 out of 3 chance of survival, but has chosen to give up because he doesn't like the side effects of the treatment. I fail to understand what's brave about that. It's certainly his right to choose to die rather than to fight through the side effects, but I wouldn't call it brave to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Maybe discuss with your doctor the problems you are having with your current treatment, and discuss a less problematic treatment????
Now on this we are in agreement.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:51 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
With a 70% survival rate, I definitely don't think the OP should give up on chemo, but let's not be overly optimistic about weathering the side effects. I went through six weekly rounds of 24 hour/day infusions over a four-month period (1 week of infusions followed by 2 weeks of R&R X 6), and the side effects got progressively worse over that period of time. Unlike your experience, my first round was by far the easiest.

Neither my cardiologist nor my oncologist thought I was going to survive, but they hid that information from me; and frankly if they hadn't, I might have given up as the OP seems inclined to do. Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't as I have now been cancer-free for almost two years. I've regained all my strength and have been trying to live life to the fullest.

OP: I can relate to what you've been going through. You're much too young to simply give up without a fight. Especially with a 70% chance of survival. If the doctors told you that chemo might only extend your life a few months, then I could see quitting and just requesting palliative care. But that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

Don't just discuss final options with your new oncologist, keep an open mind to any and all treatment options.

I could not rep you any more MMoB but I am so glad you posted this.

Op my comments are coming from the widow of a cancer patient. My wonderful husband was diagnosed and eventually succumbed to Acute myloid leukemia. He fought a good battle for 4 years, was it hell? absolutely but he often said that every and any extra day he got on earth with his sons was a blessing and he was going to fight hell and high water for it.

Now as others have said we are strangers, I don't know who you have in your life but I can tell you as a widow of a cancer patient I am proud and eternally grateful for every extra day my beloved gave me. some days he was good (got to drive our youngest to his first day at college) some days like you his face was in the toilet.

I am stunned that with a 70% chance of survival you are even thinking of quitting.

I am saying prayers and sending your warm thoughts and love. good luck.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:52 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher terry View Post
i have seen a few other threads like this when someone very young is refusing treatment and i now believe that they probably aren’t true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby hill View Post
i was thinking the same thing. This has a very familiar ring to it.
+1.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:58 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
I was suckered in the first time but since the theme is similar in a few threads and everyone begs the person to get treatment. I think it’s a troll who likes the attention. It’s very unusual for someone young to refuse treatment for a curable cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer