Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 06:49 PM

11 posts, read 7,630 times

Advertisements

This Pancreatic cancer abstract published in the World Journal of Oncology in April 2016 might be of interest.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5624684/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 01:08 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Of interest to whom? To provide hope that someone recently diagnosed would beat the million to one odds?

The only reason outliers like this get published is because they are indeed outliers. But does it have any value for clinicians or patients? Hardly, unless you believe the patient's herbal remedies are the reason for survival! Even then, what herbs?

Old 05-24-2020, 08:51 PM

Hi,

bigbear99 wrote... “Of interest to whom?”

My answer to that is .. Anyone who wants to read it.

It’s not for me to decide who should or shouldn’t read a PubMed article.

bigbear99 also wrote.. “The only reason outliers like this get published is because they are indeed outliers. But does it have any value for clinicians or patients?”

Unfortunately I have to agree with bigbear99 on that matter.

Outliers with amazing recoveries appear to be set aside and ignored.
I once heard an Oncologist say “Sometimes it just happens.”

However, wouldn’t it be wonderful if cancer research could set aside just a tiny portion of manpower, time and funds to correlate and study similar outlier cases.

Perhaps they might even discover some common links that might be of help.

Kind regards

Dave.

Last edited by DaveK1200; 05-24-2020 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-25-2020, 06:41 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Actually, outliers are among the most interesting scientifically. And they're typically studied extensively, especially now with genomic techniques. And they're so uncommon that no one needs to set aside a pot of money to study them. You just bootleg off of existing research funding. Yes, that happens all the time in research.

But outliers seldom lead to anything interesting scientifically.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:49 PM

From what I’ve read so far I suspect some outlier studies are trying to discover a genetic reason why the outliers had amazing responses to their drugs, while those same drugs didn’t work so well for other patients.

That’s incredibly valuable research of course, and I hope that it continues.

However, I was hoping for outlier research that was willing to consider any possibility at all, without automatically assuming that the amazing responses were because of their medical treatment.

Even the doctors in the PubMed article I mentioned at the start of this thread thought that there might be a lot more to learned from that particular case report.
Here is the last sentence from that PubMed article’s Discussion section where they wrote ...
“Based on the observation from this case report, it might be interesting to conduct a clinical trial of standard chemotherapy followed by long-term application of the two nutraceutical supplements taken by this patient: Protandim and Essiac Tea.”

kind regards

Dave

Old 11-06-2020, 07:08 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I read a lot of pub med abstracts...I find them all very interesting...thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer