Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2020, 12:33 PM

289 posts, read 489,288 times

Advertisements

A long time ago, we had a water filter installed under our sink for our drinking water, and change the filters about every 3-4 months. I just noticed that the new filters have a warning about Proposition 65, which I researched to find out that it has part(s) that may cause cancer or toxicity (and must be identified according to California law). These were not cheap filters, and I don’t know if I should worry about the warning, or if it is just a CYA thing. I have seen similar warnings on toys, etc.

Any thoughts on whether I should worry about this? We could change our filter, but we order it now, and I’m not sure which one to change to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 01:01 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonmom View Post
A long time ago, we had a water filter installed under our sink for our drinking water, and change the filters about every 3-4 months. I just noticed that the new filters have a warning about Proposition 65, which I researched to find out that it has part(s) that may cause cancer or toxicity (and must be identified according to California law). These were not cheap filters, and I don’t know if I should worry about the warning, or if it is just a CYA thing. I have seen similar warnings on toys, etc.

Any thoughts on whether I should worry about this? We could change our filter, but we order it now, and I’m not sure which one to change to.
Without knowing any details about this filter or its parts, don't you find it a bit ironic that the material used to make a water filter component poses toxicity risks? I file this under "manage the risks of daily modern life...are they negligible, minor, moderate, or major". I've also seen these Prop 65 warnings on more and more consumer goods. Probably the chemicals in the plastics used to make the cannister or filter cartridge housings. Chances are other filters would carry the same warnings. How much they cost you or the manner in which you buy them doesn't matter. I suspect if you misuse the product or dispose of it in a stupid way (burn it, melt it, crush it), or actually EAT the material every day for months there might actually be a problem. If you use the filter as directed and dispose of it responsibly, your risk is truly low.

Disposable tap water filter cartridges are a vicious circle we've created for ourselves...the cartridge waste ends up in landfills...eventually leaching pollutants into water that you are hoping to avoid by using the darned filters and that gave rise to Prop 65 warnings in the first place! If you want to make sure filters are even necessary or appropriate, get your tap water tested and decide which of any substances you absolutely must remove from it for personal health. Probably less than you think. Municipal domestic use water does need to pass potability standards after all. The wrong consumer grade filters may not be providing any benefit at all, so all you are doing is contributing to the larger problem.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-01-2020 at 01:15 PM..

Old 11-03-2020, 02:58 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
It's not a CYA thing, it's a CA thing. Everyone else ignores it.

Old 11-07-2020, 05:41 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
According to CA, my laundry-bag can give me cancer.

I do not think any other state requires these crazy cancer-warning tags on just about everything.

Old 11-08-2020, 02:49 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
First off, do yo really need a filter on your tap? Is it improving your physical health or just your mental health?

All these ridiculous claims of "carcinogenicity" are based on studies in rats & mice using absurdly high doses of the chemical in question. The studies on glyphosate (RoundUp) for instance done on rats show that for humans (if the info even deserves to be extrapolated to humans) would have to eat 500 lb of RoundUp at a sitting for half the people to get sick. The other half would tolerate it without risk.

Laws & regs are made mainly so the lawyers have a basis for their lawsuits.

Old 11-14-2020, 02:28 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
The prop 65 warning is pretty much a caveat that anything can give you cancer. I tend to think it’s added to any product to protect the manufacturers from liability. The whole thing seems ridiculous to me.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:01 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonmom View Post

Now you know why so many people are fleeing californikation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer