Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 12:35 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times

Advertisements

What kinds of cancer would be the most common in a thirty-six year old man?

I’m asking because I fell from an attic onto a concrete floor last August and I had a fractured skull that was found up front not long before I was put into an ICU. Just a few months later, it was found that I also had a ruptured spleen and rib fractures in addition to the skull fracture. Before I was admitted to the ER in early December I was conscious of the fact that I had a dry cough, fever, chills, and most disturbing of all I seemed to have night sweats not long before being admitted wherein I had a procedure to drain pus and fluid from my ruptured spleen. I also had to have a surgery on my left lung to drain away what was revealed to be a plural effusion. Not long after I was released from the hospital, I got the sense that it was possibly spleen cancer that I might of had, as later on I looked up symptoms of spleen cancer and lo and behold, I had almost every one of those symptoms.

What cancers are more common in men in their mid 30’s? By the way I don’t smoke cigarettes and I only drink alcoholic beverages once in a blue moon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 01:11 PM

1,147 posts, read 862,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
What kinds of cancer would be the most common in a thirty-six year old man?

I’m asking because I fell from an attic onto a concrete floor last August and I had a fractured skull that was found up front not long before I was put into an ICU. Just a few months later, it was found that I also had a ruptured spleen and rib fractures in addition to the skull fracture. Before I was admitted to the ER in early December I was conscious of the fact that I had a dry cough, fever, chills, and most disturbing of all I seemed to have night sweats not long before being admitted wherein I had a procedure to drain pus and fluid from my ruptured spleen. I also had to have a surgery on my left lung to drain away what was revealed to be a plural effusion. Not long after I was released from the hospital, I got the sense that it was possibly spleen cancer that I might of had, as later on I looked up symptoms of spleen cancer and lo and behold, I had almost every one of those symptoms.

What cancers are more common in men in their mid 30’s? By the way I don’t smoke cigarettes and I only drink alcoholic beverages once in a blue moon
It is obviously important to know whether they took out your spleen because of the rupture or simply tried to repair a small lesion. If they took it out it would have been sent to pathology for a pathology report. If you had fluid in your pleural space with an effusion and drained it then it would have been taken to the lab for testing consisting of a cell count and with that cell count an examination for the type of cells present inclusive of malignant cells.

As far as the spleen goes it is a lymphatic organ that is involved in the immunity along with cleaning your blood and getting rid of old worn out cells. It is a trap for infectious organisms that are confronted by immune cells. Primary cancers associated with the spleen are splenic lymphomas. These are termed non-Hodgkins lymphoma. The classic example of that is Hairy cell Leukemia/Lymphoma. It is one mainly in older individuals in the 50's and 60's. It creates massive splenomegaly which means enlarged spleen. There is an increase girth to the west that gives a feeling of fullness. Other symptoms termed B symptoms include fever, weight loss etc.

Lymphomas can sometimes be detected with blood work that was done at the time. An increase in lymphocytes in the blood is an indicator for lymphomas. The higher the lymphocyte count the higher the likelihood for an abnormal conclusion. If you have splenomegaly and no obvious blood abnormalities then imaging of the spleen is undertaken of ultrasound or CT. Invariably there will be abnormalities of the blood either overt or subtle with regards to lymphoma cells present in your blood.

You will have to start from the very beginning with a doctor that needs a careful history and physical in order to figure out what is happening with you. I would not make any assumptions until you do speak with one.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
It is obviously important to know whether they took out your spleen because of the rupture or simply tried to repair a small lesion. If they took it out it would have been sent to pathology for a pathology report. If you had fluid in your pleural space with an effusion and drained it then it would have been taken to the lab for testing consisting of a cell count and with that cell count an examination for the type of cells present inclusive of malignant cells.

As far as the spleen goes it is a lymphatic organ that is involved in the immunity along with cleaning your blood and getting rid of old worn out cells. It is a trap for infectious organisms that are confronted by immune cells. Primary cancers associated with the spleen are splenic lymphomas. These are termed non-Hodgkins lymphoma. The classic example of that is Hairy cell Leukemia/Lymphoma. It is one mainly in older individuals in the 50's and 60's. It creates massive splenomegaly which means enlarged spleen. There is an increase girth to the west that gives a feeling of fullness. Other symptoms termed B symptoms include fever, weight loss etc.

Lymphomas can sometimes be detected with blood work that was done at the time. An increase in lymphocytes in the blood is an indicator for lymphomas. The higher the lymphocyte count the higher the likelihood for an abnormal conclusion. If you have splenomegaly and no obvious blood abnormalities then imaging of the spleen is undertaken of ultrasound or CT. Invariably there will be abnormalities of the blood either overt or subtle with regards to lymphoma cells present in your blood.

You will have to start from the very beginning with a doctor that needs a careful history and physical in order to figure out what is happening with you. I would not make any assumptions until you do speak with one.
I was told that my spleen had lacerations which may have been because of the fall. It was also revealed that I had a hematoma(whatever that’s supposed to mean). I am now largely back to where I was in how I felt before I fell from the attic last August. How long could a person expect to live with undiagnosed/untreated spleen cancer or lymphoma?

Old 04-13-2021, 01:53 PM

1,147 posts, read 862,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I was told that my spleen had lacerations which may have been because of the fall. It was also revealed that I had a hematoma(whatever that’s supposed to mean). I am now largely back to where I was in how I felt before I fell from the attic last August. How long could a person expect to live with undiagnosed/untreated spleen cancer or lymphoma?
A hematoma is simply a bruise. They looked at your spleen and didn't notice anything else abnormal about it other than a laceration according to what you said. I think you are putting the cart before the horse especially at age 30 and having the doctor look at your spleen directly and not having any red flags with your blood work when they were done at the ER.

Are you having trouble seeing a doctor or dealing with your medical issues right now? There's some community health centers clinics given federal money to pay for those people who are unable to pay. You might want to look into that.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
A hematoma is simply a bruise. They looked at your spleen and didn't notice anything else abnormal about it other than a laceration according to what you said. I think you are putting the cart before the horse especially at age 30 and having the doctor look at your spleen directly and not having any red flags with your blood work when they were done at the ER.

Are you having trouble seeing a doctor or dealing with your medical issues right now? There's some community health centers clinics given federal money to pay for those people who are unable to pay. You might want to look into that.
Ah okay. I have a follow up physical with my new PCP April 22nd. They told me to fast eight hours prior so I’m assuming they will be doing bloodwork.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
You are too young to have cancer,hope everything turns out fine.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
If the cancer a wild guess or have you been diagnosed with anything? If you feel something isn’t right consult a physician and not a forum where anyone can hazard a guess.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
If the cancer a wild guess or have you been diagnosed with anything? If you feel something isn’t right consult a physician and not a forum where anyone can hazard a guess.
The cancer was just my suspicion, nothing more; I have a follow up physical exam and lab work on April 22nd.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:24 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretnaGreen View Post
Really? Are you serious? too young to have cancer? You can't have cancer in your 30's?

Unfounded and illogical pronouncements such as this do not help. Whilst the majority of cancer patients are older, cancer can strike at any age.
Correct! Newborns can be diagnosed with cancer! As for it being possible to have cancer in your 30s, BTDT. That was over 30 years ago...I'm still around!

Old 04-17-2021, 03:07 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
I was diagnosed with cancer at 27.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer