U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 06:01 AM

38,275 posts, read 38,625,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
My mother will be getting radiation treatment for 2 weeks at a major hospital. Can anyone tell me their experiences with this treatment like side effects?
Everyone I know that has had radiation treatments have suffered from fatigue. Some people had skin issues at the treatment and some not. Of course some lingering on/off pain at the treatment site is also possible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 12:30 PM

16,285 posts, read 9,943,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Everyone I know that has had radiation treatments have suffered from fatigue. Some people had skin issues at the treatment and some not. Of course some lingering on/off pain at the treatment site is also possible.
Side effects vary so much from person to person. I knew two identical twins who were both diagnosed with breast cancer about two years apart. They both did basically the same chemo regimen followed by radiation therapy. They received radiation at the same hospital. While both complained of fatigue towards the end of the treatment period (about 6 weeks), one had almost no skin problems and the other had major ones. Both healed OK though it took one a lot longer than the other.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:59 AM

19,417 posts, read 27,449,671 times
Quote:
Just a quick update on my mother. She will be receiving her last radiation treatment tomorrow. She did well, except for some fatigue and she lost her voice. She can only whisper. She had terrible shoulder pain on one side, and the doctor told her that her swollen lymph nodes were pressing on a nerve. So, they gave her some pain medication for that. Other than that, she’s doing o.k. Thanks so much for the support and info you’ve given me.

I will update you again when we find out what the next course of treatment will be.

How is your mom doing? Do you have an update?

Old 10-26-2021, 12:06 PM

340 posts, read 158,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
How is your mom doing? Do you have an update?
Sorry I haven’t updated this thread, but it’s been difficult for me to talk about this, let alone write about it. Until now. Unfortunately my mother passed away this past August. She was about two weeks from having to undergo chemotherapy which she was very fearful of. She had an awful accident in her home. She fell in the family room and hit her head. My husband went there to bring her some food and he found her already deceased on the floor. He called 911 and the police came first and they ruled that no foul play had occurred. Then I came and the paramedics came. They said she was probably deceased for about 3-4 hours. It was difficult to see her that way.

I feel bad about the way she died. We asked her to come and live with us, but she said there was time for that. I want to thank each and everyone of you who responded to my questions and commented. The support was very much appreciated. Sincerely, Iluvbeagles

Old 10-27-2021, 08:44 AM

19,417 posts, read 27,449,671 times
Quote:
Sorry I haven’t updated this thread, but it’s been difficult for me to talk about this, let alone write about it. Until now. Unfortunately my mother passed away this past August. She was about two weeks from having to undergo chemotherapy which she was very fearful of. She had an awful accident in her home. She fell in the family room and hit her head. My husband went there to bring her some food and he found her already deceased on the floor. He called 911 and the police came first and they ruled that no foul play had occurred. Then I came and the paramedics came. They said she was probably deceased for about 3-4 hours. It was difficult to see her that way.

I feel bad about the way she died. We asked her to come and live with us, but she said there was time for that. I want to thank each and everyone of you who responded to my questions and commented. The support was very much appreciated. Sincerely, Iluvbeagles

I'm so sorry to read that your mom had an accident and passed away. I understand how it's so very hard for you to talk about. I was the same when I lost my dad. I'm thankful that it was your husband who went there first and not you.

I'm sorry she didn't want to stay with you. If you're like me, you will replay everything in your head wondering why she didn't take you up on your offer to stay with you because then the accident wouldn't have happened. I beat myself up for things that happened with my dad's cancer.

After going through cancer with my hub, staying in her own home meant she was still well enough to take care of herself, even though she had the scary cancer diagnosis. That she was being treated for cancer and that she was still able to take care of herself, even if she had off times and slowed down.

It was hard on my hub to not be able to even advocate for himself at the cancer center because some days he could barely speak due to the neck radiation. Not only that, he was used to driving the car when we went out. He hated having to give up being the one driving the car. We even had a huge blowup driving home one day because of it. We almost had an accident. He wanted to jump out of the car while I was driving. I'm sure he doesn't even remember it, he doesn't remember much of being diagnosed and treated.

My hub is the type that when he's sick, I automatically make him chicken soup, ask what specific cold meds he wants from the store and leave him alone. He doesn't want anyone caring for him because he's an adult who can care for himself. For a guy, he can take care of himself and a house on his own with cleaning it, so the cancer diagnosis and being run down, not being able to speak was a huge kick in the face. He also had a feeding tube, refused to try to eat food because he said all food tasted like card board from the radiation hitting his taste buds. It got to the point where he wouldn't even eat through the feeding tube, was ready to rip it out. We lied saying he was eating just so they would take it out at the next appointment. When they did, it was enough for him to suck up the no tasting food or get it put back in.

I don't know how your mother was handling the treatments and mentally being diagnosed, hopefully sharing what happened with my hub will help you to some what heal and come to some sort of peace on why your mom didn't go stay with you. I've never shared any of that with anyone.

The first year is going to be very hard for you, especially with the "family" holidays coming up, then birthdays and mother's day will also be the pits. I spent many of those days crying my eyes out, feeling like an orphan. Even 15 years after losing my dad, they're still very hard on me. Losing someone gets easier for people, but for others, it doesn't get easier. If it doesn't get easier, don't let anyone dictate that you should be "over it" with losing your mom. Death and grief is a very personal thing, it means something different to everyone. Some people can be cruel with thoughts and comments, don't let anyone get to you. Just keep in mind that for you, and the relationship/bond you had with your mother, was very special, your heart may not heal. It may stay fractured until the day you die. Remember that I do understand, know exactly how you feel

Last edited by Roselvr; 10-27-2021 at 09:02 AM..

Old 10-27-2021, 09:27 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,004,992 times
I can understand your mom wanting to be independent for as long as possible. A good friend of mine had neck cancer and lost his ability to eat, talk and hear. He could only take really small sips of body temperature water. His wife had Alzheimer’s so my ex and I helped them stay in their house for as long as possible. He was in a lot of pain and really suffered. I am so sorry for your loss. Everyone on my mom’s side of the family has died from cancer. It’s such a awful disease.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:20 PM

340 posts, read 158,452 times
To Roselvr and Teacher Terry, Thanks so much for your kind words of support. They mean a lot to me. Ilovebeagles.

Old 11-04-2021, 10:19 PM

336 posts, read 199,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Depending on the site, frequency, and dosage, there may be some irritation at the site. The doctor can recommend some skin cream to help with this. In addition, general fatigue is common.

There are many site-specific effects. Call your doctor's office and ask about these. They probably have a brochure to describe the procedures and after-effects.

Be cautious using the internet. You will find the worst, most extreme instances of bad outcomes.

An exception would be researching the websites of the major cancer treatment centers. These institutions can provide you with good, reliable information. Use this to ask questions of your doctor regarding your mother's condition, treatment, and outcome expectations.

MD Anderson: https://www.mdanderson.org/patients-...t-options.html
Memorial Sloan-Kettering: https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/di...cer-treatments
Yes exactly what you are saying only use really reputable sights. Those you listed are excellent maybe add
Stanford Cancer Institute https://med.stanford.edu › cancer

Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN: www.mayoclinic.org

Dana Farber in Boston, MA: https://www.dana-farber.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer