U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 10:28 AM

340 posts, read 158,452 times

Advertisements

My mother will be getting radiation treatment for 2 weeks at a major hospital. Can anyone tell me their experiences with this treatment like side effects?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 11:00 AM

4,612 posts, read 2,214,062 times
Depending on the site, frequency, and dosage, there may be some irritation at the site. The doctor can recommend some skin cream to help with this. In addition, general fatigue is common.

There are many site-specific effects. Call your doctor's office and ask about these. They probably have a brochure to describe the procedures and after-effects.

Be cautious using the internet. You will find the worst, most extreme instances of bad outcomes.

An exception would be researching the websites of the major cancer treatment centers. These institutions can provide you with good, reliable information. Use this to ask questions of your doctor regarding your mother's condition, treatment, and outcome expectations.

MD Anderson: https://www.mdanderson.org/patients-...t-options.html
Memorial Sloan-Kettering: https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/di...cer-treatments

Old 06-18-2021, 11:08 AM

11,942 posts, read 7,989,636 times
Side effects run the gamut from nothing to speak of (my experience with local radiation for breast cancer) to severe (my friend has permanent lung damage from whole-body radiation for lymphoma).

What kind of radiation is your mother getting?

Old 06-18-2021, 11:35 AM

I don’t know what kind of radiation she is getting. I know she had oral cancer about a year and a half ago, and she had surgery to cut that out. But recently a part of her neck has swollen up so they took a biopsy of it and it came up positive for cancer. So the radiation will be to her neck. She has to be fitted for a mask so the radiation doesn’t go to her face. It has also spread to her lymph nodes.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:54 PM

16,293 posts, read 9,943,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
I don’t know what kind of radiation she is getting. I know she had oral cancer about a year and a half ago, and she had surgery to cut that out. But recently a part of her neck has swollen up so they took a biopsy of it and it came up positive for cancer. So the radiation will be to her neck. She has to be fitted for a mask so the radiation doesn’t go to her face. It has also spread to her lymph nodes.
As others have already written, you'd need to know a lot more about what specific treatment she's going to have to even guess. Everyone's treatment protocol is designed specifically for them (being fitted with a mask and/or actually "shaping" the beam itself using a molded template to avoid exposing non-target areas). People tolerate treatment differently, even if its the same treatment. A co-worker of mine ended up being diagnosed with the same type and stage of breast cancer I had. We both received the same type and duration of radiation. I had very few side effects, mostly tiredness toward the end of the regimen. She had every complication in the book.

Another source that probably has trustworthy general information:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/radi...k_cancers.html

Old 06-18-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Depending on the site, frequency, and dosage, there may be some irritation at the site. The doctor can recommend some skin cream to help with this. In addition, general fatigue is common.

There are many site-specific effects. Call your doctor's office and ask about these. They probably have a brochure to describe the procedures and after-effects.

Be cautious using the internet. You will find the worst, most extreme instances of bad outcomes.

An exception would be researching the websites of the major cancer treatment centers. These institutions can provide you with good, reliable information. Use this to ask questions of your doctor regarding your mother's condition, treatment, and outcome expectations.

MD Anderson: https://www.mdanderson.org/patients-...t-options.html
Memorial Sloan-Kettering: https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/di...cer-treatments
Thank you for the info and the links.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
As others have already written, you'd need to know a lot more about what specific treatment she's going to have to even guess. Everyone's treatment protocol is designed specifically for them (being fitted with a mask and/or actually "shaping" the beam itself using a molded template to avoid exposing non-target areas). People tolerate treatment differently, even if its the same treatment. A co-worker of mine ended up being diagnosed with the same type and stage of breast cancer I had. We both received the same type and duration of radiation. I had very few side effects, mostly tiredness toward the end of the regimen. She had every complication in the book.

Another source that probably has trustworthy general information:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/radi...k_cancers.html
I will ask my mother what specific treatment she is getting and report back. Thanks for the info and link.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:34 PM

16,293 posts, read 9,943,760 times
Quote:
I will ask my mother what specific treatment she is getting and report back. Thanks for the info and link.
The problem of individual tolerance still remains. Even the experts can only provide an educated guess. People recover and heal so differently.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:39 PM

11,942 posts, read 7,989,636 times
Quote:
My father-in-law had radiation for throat cancer. He had one of those masks made, too. The radiation made him unable to swallow for the duration, so he had a feeding tube installed. It was a very tough treatment. There was a chance he would lose his ability to eat by mouth permanently, but that didn't happen, and the treatment completely eliminated the cancer.

Old 06-20-2021, 05:16 AM

19,418 posts, read 27,449,671 times
My hub had stage 4 tonsil cancer in 2009. They removed the right tonsil plus a dozen lymph nodes in his right neck.

He also had the mask done and had 33 radiation treatments.

e had really dry mouth as radiation damaged his saliva glands. She's probably going to have "radiation burn" on her neck like my hub did. They will give her a prescription cream.

I can't stress that she needs to continue to drink water at least to keep swallowing no matter how painful it is because it's a matter of "use it or lose it". I used to go to a cancer message board called cancer compass which is long gone. There were a lot of people that did not continue drinking, they lost their ability to swallow and eat, they had to live with a feeding tube.

The best pain medication for oral cancers are a morphine pop which doctors don't like to give. I learned this from Brett Hudson of the 70's group the Hudson brothers. You can google, the last time I looked about a year ago, his cancer blog was still online.

The radiation oncologist gave percocet and then a fentanyl patch which didn't work well. They finally gave him the morphine pops which were the best because he could eat as little or as much as he needed for pain control.

They'll probably give her what's called magic mouthwash which will numb her mouth. It doesn't have a pleasant taste from what my hub said but does help.

Will they give your mother a feeding tube or they will wait to see if she needs one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer