Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 09:09 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This was a hard article to read. It was sad to see how hard he fought and the results.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...ly/7773772002/

He's absolutely right. It's the careless and ignorant who get the preferential treatment while the innocent are made to suffer because of their stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 09:12 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My brother died of prostate cancer when he was 66, he was diagnosed at 61, he had radiation and some kind of hormonal drugs and for about 3 years they told him he was in remission, but then it metastasized and he had to have a drain put in his gallbladder, then it spread to his bones, he fell down a flight of stairs and got numerous fractures on his spine, they operated and put screws and plates up and down his spine and he lived for maybe a year after that. What shocked me is that he didn't realize he was terminal until his last hospitalization when they told him that he should contact any family members or friends who he wanted to say goodbye to. I was sure he knew, who wouldn't? But apparently he convinced himself that he wasn't going to die. It was tough watching him try to come to terms with what was happening to him

It is why if and when I'm told I have cancer but with chemo and radiation I have a 60% chance of beating it I will say, "Thanks but no thanks. When will I be eligible for physician assisted death?" Just give me a handful of pills. I'll be ready to go.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 11-21-2021 at 10:03 AM..

Old 11-22-2021, 01:39 AM

7,475 posts, read 3,215,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Oh I wish you could find that because I have to wonder what they meant by dying of cancer without treatment. I’m sure they mean conventional treatment and there are alternatives and it doesn’t have to be all or nothing. When I got my stage III breast cancer dx eight years ago I chose to go all in for alternative with an alternative doctor and now I am on hospice.

I think I could’ve had a longer life but the dark side of this is that you have to stay on the program and you can’t go back to your old lifestyle. At least that’s true for me. But I don’t consider this a failure because I had a strong intuitive feeling that conventional therapy would kill me quicker and I had the energy to get more life out of the years I had left. I even got to fulfill a lifelong dream of traveling around in a van and did some foreign travel too.

But, I’m here to tell you that dying is not so bad. I have extensive metastasis to the bones, which is supposed to be very painful but hospice has me covered and I’m on steroids for bone pain, which is almost non-existent because of them. Also, my food tastes so good and I have more energy for visiting so triple win. The doctor tried to push me to narcotics but I’m saving them for when they’re really needed and hospice backs me up on that.

I am sorry to hear you are battling cancer. My mom died from breast cancer when I was 10 years old; she was gone six months after diagnosis. I have a sister that was treated for breast cancer many years ago and it has yet to recur (very fortunately).

Well, I would have found that article researching Lymphoma (which is a different ball game). What I remember was how I was telling myself I would never do chemo and then I found that article and it totally changed my mind. But, I am watch and wait so I keep trying to mitigate it with water fasting and dietary changes (I need to work harder in that regard) because I know that it is a helpful regiment regardless.

For me dying is not unattractive. I do have fur children I want to see through to their ends first though. Living is the part that worries me. This lymphoma I have is one cancer where you actually die from the actual cancer (not from a heart attack or the other side effects)... So, it is anxiety provoking to think about (how much I will have to go through to get from Point A to Point B).

I am glad they are taking care of you and keeping you as comfortable as possible.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:00 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It is why if and when I'm told I have cancer but with chemo and radiation I have a 60% chance of beating it I will say, "Thanks but no thanks. When will I be eligible for physician assisted death?" Just give me a handful of pills. I'll be ready to go.
. There are things you can do to slow it down that don’t involve chemo or radiation. It’s devilishly tricky to actually get rid of cancer by alternative methods but you can slow down the growth of a tumor. Mind you, I’m not trying to talk anyone into doing what I did but if you’re so inclined already then it can work. I was dx’ed eight years ago and still here. I think I could’ve lived longer but I had quit eating sweets and then 2020 hit and I started eating them again. A lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I am sorry to hear you are battling cancer. My mom died from breast cancer when I was 10 years old; she was gone six months after diagnosis. I have a sister that was treated for breast cancer many years ago and it has yet to recur (very fortunately).

Well, I would have found that article researching Lymphoma (which is a different ball game). What I remember was how I was telling myself I would never do chemo and then I found that article and it totally changed my mind. But, I am watch and wait so I keep trying to mitigate it with water fasting and dietary changes (I need to work harder in that regard) because I know that it is a helpful regiment regardless.

For me dying is not unattractive. I do have fur children I want to see through to their ends first though. Living is the part that worries me. This lymphoma I have is one cancer where you actually die from the actual cancer (not from a heart attack or the other side effects)... So, it is anxiety provoking to think about (how much I will have to go through to get from Point A to Point B).

I am glad they are taking care of you and keeping you as comfortable as possible.
I’m so sorry that you lost your mother and so suddenly too. That must’ve been very difficult for you and your family and I’m glad you still have your sis.

I didn’t do any chemo except Ibrance, a pill form, and the symptoms greatly intensified and the next pet scan showed Mets to liver so it not only didn’t work but made it worse and I suspect I couldn’t get past a belief that it would do that. But now I’m where I am, well it’s not such a bad place to be and we all have an exit date and for many when it’s their time, they’re ready. I guess I’m one of those but I also keep in mind that spontaneous remission is possible and not as rare as people think because I actually know or knew several people that it happened to. Anything is possible is a good thing to keep in mind.

I did a 21 day water fast about six years ago and I think that the fast and quitting sweets were the two most helpful things I did. Beyond that though I wasn’t overly strict with my diet because I didn’t want to lock myself into an impossible to keep up with regimen.

I may or may not have shortened my life by refusing chemo but I’m at peace with what I did and foregoing it hasn’t made dying more painful because i just lose a little more energy each day but have very little pain. Your particular cancer may be different for that though.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
. There are things you can do to slow it down that don’t involve chemo or radiation. It’s devilishly tricky to actually get rid of cancer by alternative methods but you can slow down the growth of a tumor. Mind you, I’m not trying to talk anyone into doing what I did but if you’re so inclined already then it can work. I was dx’ed eight years ago and still here. I think I could’ve lived longer but I had quit eating sweets and then 2020 hit and I started eating them again. A lot.

I’m so sorry that you lost your mother and so suddenly too. That must’ve been very difficult for you and your family and I’m glad you still have your sis.

I didn’t do any chemo except Ibrance, a pill form, and the symptoms greatly intensified and the next pet scan showed Mets to liver so it not only didn’t work but made it worse and I suspect I couldn’t get past a belief that it would do that. But now I’m where I am, well it’s not such a bad place to be and we all have an exit date and for many when it’s their time, they’re ready. I guess I’m one of those but I also keep in mind that spontaneous remission is possible and not as rare as people think because I actually know or knew several people that it happened to. Anything is possible is a good thing to keep in mind.

That reminds me I think my sister did surgery and radiation and did not do chemo. I think she is at least 15 years out from that.

I did a 21 day water fast about six years ago and I think that the fast and quitting sweets were the two most helpful things I did. Beyond that though I wasn’t overly strict with my diet because I didn’t want to lock myself into an impossible to keep up with regimen.

I may or may not have shortened my life by refusing chemo but I’m at peace with what I did and foregoing it hasn’t made dying more painful because i just lose a little more energy each day but have very little pain. Your particular cancer may be different for that though.

I have done a couple of 21 day fasts. I want to do a longer one. I've done Keto off and on. I need to do more. Working on immune system is a never ending battle.

Yes, I read that article not too far after being diagnosed. If I find it and read it now I might read and understand it differently. It probably does matter which cancer (probably more true with more aggressive forms -- it might have been related to Hodgkins). I have a good friend that had lymphoblastic leukemia (the most aggressive cancer). She got chemo almost overnight.

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 11-22-2021 at 09:30 PM..

Old 11-23-2021, 01:15 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I have done a couple of 21 day fasts. I want to do a longer one. I've done Keto off and on. I need to do more. Working on immune system is a never ending battle.

Yes, I read that article not too far after being diagnosed. If I find it and read it now I might read and understand it differently. It probably does matter which cancer (probably more true with more aggressive forms -- it might have been related to Hodgkins). I have a good friend that had lymphoblastic leukemia (the most aggressive cancer). She got chemo almost overnight.
Yes immune system support is a continuous thing but balance is key because you can go too far and then have autoimmune issues or other imbalances.

My big thing was cutting out the sweets because i tend to binge on them in a very unhealthy way but it left me to wonder whether it was actually the sweets that are so unhealthy or my attitude towards them. I’ll never know for sure but i do know that there was a lot of guilt centered around eating them and i seem to be incapable of moderation in that department so it was easier to just stop and make low sugar desserts for holidays and such. Now I’m just eating what I want.

As for your friend, yes it does seem that chemo is most indicated for the very fastest growing cells and i might have chosen it at the time, but they didn’t seem to be in much of a hurry to do it right then so I had the gift of the time to think about it. Dietary changes at that time actually worked pretty quickly, like you can slow down the growth in as little as a couple of weeks. But, if I had a fast growing cancer and they had wanted to rush me into chemo, I would’ve done it because why deny something that will most likely save your life? Then if you’re so inclined you can work on other changes later and do it in as low stress a way as possible and you may be surprised to hear this but I detect some stress language with you and that’s words like “I should do more.” I get it because I’ve been doing that all along but now I see it as another way to beat myself up.

Hang in there and I hope you get your furry friends raised, lol.

Old 11-23-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Yes immune system support is a continuous thing but balance is key because you can go too far and then have autoimmune issues or other imbalances.

My big thing was cutting out the sweets because i tend to binge on them in a very unhealthy way but it left me to wonder whether it was actually the sweets that are so unhealthy or my attitude towards them. I’ll never know for sure but i do know that there was a lot of guilt centered around eating them and i seem to be incapable of moderation in that department so it was easier to just stop and make low sugar desserts for holidays and such. Now I’m just eating what I want.

As for your friend, yes it does seem that chemo is most indicated for the very fastest growing cells and i might have chosen it at the time, but they didn’t seem to be in much of a hurry to do it right then so I had the gift of the time to think about it. Dietary changes at that time actually worked pretty quickly, like you can slow down the growth in as little as a couple of weeks. But, if I had a fast growing cancer and they had wanted to rush me into chemo, I would’ve done it because why deny something that will most likely save your life? Then if you’re so inclined you can work on other changes later and do it in as low stress a way as possible and you may be surprised to hear this but I detect some stress language with you and that’s words like “I should do more.” I get it because I’ve been doing that all along but now I see it as another way to beat myself up.

Hang in there and I hope you get your furry friends raised, lol.

Yes, the first clue was that they inject you with sugar to do the PET Scan... Sugar feeds cancer; so, starve it. The problem is all the foods that convert to sugar as well. So, you know... you have to do the best you can.

Thanks! I want to be here for the fur kids. After that if I am still rattling around I will foster.

Old 12-04-2021, 05:06 PM

272 posts, read 165,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldSpike View Post
I'm 73 and occasionally pee blood, it might be bladder cancer and my doctor wanted to refer me to hospital for tests but I declined because if it is cancer, the procedure for operating and/or treatment sounds very uncomfortable and too much hassle. At the moment there's no pain, just occasional twinges of discomfort.
At my age I've had a good innings and have no family or dependents so i'm quite prepared if the grim reaper comes looking for me.
My only hope is that there'll be drugs for the pain if it later goes painfully terminal and i'll be able to slip peacefully away..
Yay, PoorOldSpike. I got my diagnosis in September and learned how much uglier life can be when you concentrate on it. Stood up by not one, but two, hospice intake workers. Confided diagnosis to certain friends and/or acquaintances who promptly ghosted me. I'm 65 and refused even a PET scan. I have no family or dependents either, made final arrangements years ago, carry no debt, and honestly dislike old age. That, and life is painful enough without cancer.

My only and probably not uncommon problem is that while I have a last will and testament, I have no executor.

Anyway, if you get to read this--keep on keeping' on.

Old 12-04-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
It's challenging to stay positive.

You sit and think, what did I do wrong? Then you have to check yourself because I know I did nothing wrong.
Yep. Same here--vegetarian since 1986, non-smoker, very rare drinker. This is why I refuse to fight it. There's a certain... equity, spiritual equity, lost when you do the right thing and earn a kick in the teeth. For me, fighting cancer would only worsen the rage, so I just don't care.

Quote:
I'm seriously considering counseling while going through all this. Family, friends have been supportive but you really do feel alone while going through this.
My friends went off the radar when I shared my diagnosis. I'm much more careful whom I tell these days, but it's pretty hard not to talk about. Strangers, mostly, have been extremely kind. Best of luck, sincere wishes for your happiness.

Last edited by OldSchoolEverything; 12-04-2021 at 05:33 PM..

Old 12-04-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Oh I wish you could find that because I have to wonder what they meant by dying of cancer without treatment. I’m sure they mean conventional treatment and there are alternatives and it doesn’t have to be all or nothing. When I got my stage III breast cancer dx eight years ago I chose to go all in for alternative with an alternative doctor and now I am on hospice.

I think I could’ve had a longer life but the dark side of this is that you have to stay on the program and you can’t go back to your old lifestyle. At least that’s true for me. But I don’t consider this a failure because I had a strong intuitive feeling that conventional therapy would kill me quicker and I had the energy to get more life out of the years I had left. I even got to fulfill a lifelong dream of traveling around in a van and did some foreign travel too.

But, I’m here to tell you that dying is not so bad. I have extensive metastasis to the bones, which is supposed to be very painful but hospice has me covered and I’m on steroids for bone pain, which is almost non-existent because of them. Also, my food tastes so good and I have more energy for visiting so triple win. The doctor tried to push me to narcotics but I’m saving them for when they’re really needed and hospice backs me up on that.
Stepka, I admire your style. Hope you're chowing down when you read this. Blessings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer