Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 03:19 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,422 times

Advertisements

John,
First prayers for you, your family and Uncle.I wish I had some words of wisdom but I do not, Just love your Uncle, Make him laugh (laughter is good) and listen to his fears and his wishes, I did this for a freind of mine. Blessings Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 10:10 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
I'm sorry to hear about your uncle.

A boy in my class in jr. high died of leukemia, and I had a woman in one of my college classes who had beaten leukemia. I also know a few people online who are dealing with it.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:46 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi. I tried to get him to go to Vanderbilt but he and my aunt wanted to go to Baptist instead. The doctor have told us very little about his long-term condition. They have now put him in a nursing home today. A nurse has told us his Chemotherorapy therorapy treatment didn't work and now the"re going give him Chemotherorapy pills. My aunt is the one over his estate and I'm just helping her. I will most likely not be taking care of him as long as he's in the nursing home. He has gotten a second 2nd opinion from another hosptal on his condition and they found the same condition.
John, slow down and go back and read the posts I've made. I keep saying the same thing, you have to ask the doctor how long they think your uncle has. Giving him chemo pills doesn't mean much, they did the same thing to my dad but at that point it wouldn't have helped. This is why I say ask specific questions because from the little you are saying here it doesn't sound like they are hopeful he will last long. If this is the case, stop the chemo pills because they won't do anything. Why should your uncle have side effects for a treatment that probably won't work?

You said he has kidney problems, & it sounds like his body is getting tired. If there is no hope to do anything for the kidney problems & cancer then the main focus should be spending quality time with him and keeping him as comfortable as possible.

What I remember from my dad - his last days he went downhill very quick. He also had the dark urine and from looking at the urine hospice was able to tell me his body was shutting down. In addition, he had this weird odor coming from him which they said was the organs shutting down. It was like a sweet ammonia smell.

Please try to get some answers so that you know what to expect. It's horrible to have no hope but not to know it. Talk to the doctors at the nursing home. Hopefully they have a treatment plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christeen View Post
I know nothing about CML but assume the 2nd opinion is not just for a diagnosis, but also another opinion on what kind of treatment options they might want to try? I know in general it's harder to treat as the patient is older, but that depends on the disease, the treatment and the patient. If your uncle is up for it, I too would want him at a highly experienced medical center, and I'd ask if he's eligible for medical trials if traditional therapies aren't working. But of course it's up to your uncle what he wants to pursue.
From the bit I did read, when CLL comes back it hits pretty hard. I don't know a lot about it either but from what I read and what John is saying, especially his uncles age and kidney problems they might not be able to do anything.

My dad was 69 and in pretty good health but even he couldn't fight the affects of the chemo drugs damage.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:12 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times
His doctors only say if he trys he will beat this or least get back on his feet. His nurses was only ones telling us diffient because they read his medical chart to us. See my uncle lost his wife two years ago because of diabetes. His only child died at 42 from bone cancer and I think he doesn't care about living anymore because of this. The nurses and doctors say positive thinking helps alot when comes fighting this cancer.

Roselvr I've been reading your posts and looking at your links you have posted. Thanks for the information. My aunt is the type that cann't handle death and is a nerves wreak. She is 70 years old. She lost her husband two years ago and she sold everything in her house that reminded her of her husband. She had the house completely painted inside and out. She couldn't deal with his death. So my uncle's condition makes her even worse.

Thanks, John

Old 05-24-2008, 03:56 PM

John, depression isn't good, try to keep his spirits up. Bring him cards & balloons, make him sit up as much as possible so he doesn't get fluid in his lungs.

Not sure how much I'll be online until next weekend, we're packing the house up to move Tuesday. If I don't get back here know that I'll be keeping your family in my thoughts. You try to hang in there as well, make sure you take care of yourself.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:03 PM

Hi, My uncle has died.

John.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:22 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
John,
I just came across this thread. I am so very sorry you lost your uncle. I hope he didn't have to suffer too much. My sincere condolences and a hug for you
Katz

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-07-2008, 09:57 PM

Hospice did a great job taking care of him. They gave him much relief from the pain.

Thanks, John

Old 06-07-2008, 10:03 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
I am so very sorry about your uncle. Hospice people are great that is for sure. My condolences.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, My uncle has died.
I'm very sorry John. I was afraid he wasn't going to make it.
How is your aunt doing?

Hospice did a great job taking care of him. They gave him much relief from the pain.

Thanks, John[/quote]

Isn't hospice great? We had them in from Saturday till dad passed on Monday, they were awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer