Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 04:51 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times

Advertisements

My mother had cervical caner,after radiation treatment,she has diarhea several times a day,she also get out of bed in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom,finally she had a stroke while getting out of bed,they did not find out until morning.
I think radiation did some damage to her large intestines.
But as we get old,our body slows down and secretes less of everything,take 2 digestive enzymes would help digest food and move the bowel,magnesium also help(milk of magnesia),eating fruits and veggies with fiber also help.
Senekot is natural laxative .
Some of us lack the enzyme to digest milk sugar (lactose),so take lactaid ,you can find them in supermarket .string beans are very good as a source of fiber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolEverything View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has anecdotes of loved ones or personal experience to share about cancer and the total loss of bowel function. Specifically, I'd like to know if total loss of bowel function without laxatives is any indicator of how advanced the cancer is.

Thank you.
hate to be rude,but does the person have feces but just cant get it out?are they hard like pellets?
if a person eats,he must have some thing to excrete,so where is this to be excreted material?

Old 12-09-2021, 05:21 PM

272 posts, read 165,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
My mother had cervical caner,after radiation treatment,she has diarhea several times a day,she also get out of bed in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom,finally she had a stroke while getting out of bed,they did not find out until morning.
I think radiation did some damage to her large intestines.
But as we get old,our body slows down and secretes less of everything,take 2 digestive enzymes would help digest food and move the bowel,magnesium also help(milk of magnesia),eating fruits and veggies with fiber also help.
Senekot is natural laxative .
Some of us lack the enzyme to digest milk sugar (lactose),so take lactaid ,you can find them in supermarket .string beans are very good as a source of fiber

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I'm angry whenever I hear about hopes dashed, particularly hopes of the magnitude required when cancer treatments are concerned.

[TL;DR] Experience in my younger life made me excessively doubtful about the point of conventional therapy, including radiation and chemotherapy.

I refused any treatments in old age because of two unusual experiences with conventional therapy in my younger life. The first was my own breast cancer diagnosis where a double preventative mastectomy was recommended and I refused--and accidentally overheard a true mensch of a radiologist, G-d bless his soul, argue with my biopsy surgeon, saying, " There's nothing to radiate!" I almost kissed his feet, walked out, and kept living.

The second was my mother, energetic as anyone raised in the Depression could be. She accepted her diagnosis, coincidentally--and suspiciously conveniently--in time for the first Tamoxifen trials, and over the years, ended up with a lymphedema arm that robbed her of every last shred of hope, along with her ability to write or drive or even sign her name.

I happen to be a lifelong vegetarian non-smoker, who used to walk three miles a day. I still got cancer. I believe some genetic predispositions to GI frailty can't be fixed. I imagine a total collapse of my system was/is inevitable, given a lifelong need for laxatives. I just wish I'd been allowed to pass on before things got this bad. But whatever God wants. I just hope I have the fortitude not to buckle under the depression chronic GI pain brings.

I apologize for the inability to write more optimistically. You were extremely kind to write at length, and I felt free to be honest.

Blessings for your December.

Old 12-11-2021, 05:59 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
If you're in the "senior" category, constipation comes with the territory. You don't need cancer, or any other disease, to be afflicted.
I guess constipation can come with the territory if one is 65 or over and sedentary with a poor diet but is otherwise in fair health. I had a blockage last year due to an over-reliance on Boost and Ensure drinks. I discovered Phillips' Laxative Caplets. They work quietly overnight.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:14 PM

eat more veggies

Old 12-12-2021, 12:50 AM

Quote:
eat more veggies
The person has been a vegetarian thirty-five years. That's one reason why this is so frightening. Person still has, for example, most of original hair color in mid-sixties. The terror comes when one has followed all the rules religiously, and the worst still happens.

Genetic susceptibility to GI infections must have worsened with the cancer.

Thank you for the two responses, much appreciated.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I guess constipation can come with the territory if one is 65 or over and sedentary with a poor diet but is otherwise in fair health. I had a blockage last year due to an over-reliance on Boost and Ensure drinks. I discovered Phillips' Laxative Caplets. They work quietly overnight.
Thank you for the reply. Changes (in addition to the lifelong GI troubles) really set in when a baby food diet was started. I take sennosides as you do, nearly every other day now, but they drain me like a vampire. I'm very happy to hear your reaction isn't the same.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:56 AM

Quote:
if a person eats,he must have some thing to excrete,so where is this to be excreted material?
Exactly. Vegetables don't disappear once you swallow them. Constipation is hell for vegetarians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer