Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:39 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,658,501 times

Advertisements

Mine was done by the surgeon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 08:26 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,155,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wganczewski View Post
I notice that many of you had your core needle biopsies done by surgeons. Mine is going to be done by the radiologist who read my mammogram, and did my ultrasound. Is this the usual routine, or should I be asking for a referral to a surgeon for this procedure?

Thanks for any feedback.

There is a radiologist and a doctor of radiology, two different things. Mine was done by the Rad. doctor. as were several needle aspirations I've had in the past.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:14 PM

13 posts, read 42,707 times
I had a stereotactic core needle biopsy done yesterday on an area near my left axilla (arm pit) and in close proximity to my ribs. It was absolutely horrible. Too bad to those on here who say it's a piece of cake, no pain, yada yada. They are putting a 9 gauge (in my case) needle deep in your breast. It remains there for (again in my case) 15 minutes while they get samples and take more pictures. Total time on the table: over an hour with neck craned to left side. The numbing medicine barely touched the pain I felt. It was awful!!! When I could finally move afterwards I burst into tears. Yes it was anxiety related also, but the pain was just horrible. I have a low pain tolerance so for anyone with low pain tolerance, my advice is get a one time dose of Xanax or Valium so you are calm. The pain will send you over the edge, as was my experience. Wish i was one of the few on here who are so brave with breasts of steel lol....not.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 10,080 times
I just wanted to let everyone know that I stupidly read this thread BEFORE I went for my core needle guided biopsy yesterday and I FREAKED myself out for no reason. I see that it was VERY painful for some people and I actually asked my doctor about this. He said the only reason is simply the other doctors are not giving enough novocaine!!!! So please anyone else going for this procedure please tell your doctor or surgeon if your body doesn't take to novocaine very well. You should be able to tell by how many times or how much novocaine your dentist has to use to get you numb. Also if it hurts SAY SOMETHING don't just lay there and let them keep going, they will put more novocaine in your breast. Another great tip is to go to a women's center where the doctors perform these procedures on a daily basis if possible. Hopefully this helps someone else about to get this procedure, it was not painful at all, it is the next day and I am a little sore, but nothing unbearable at all!

Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 AM

13 posts, read 42,707 times
Kellene,
I'm sorry you were freaked out. I had a terrible experience. Now have to have lumpectomy to remove margins and radiation to follow.
I was hoping to alert women to be diligent and communicate with their doctors, as you stated. I was in so much pain and anxiety I couldn't speak. Everyone is different. I have also been a Licensed Practical Nurse for 16+ years...sometimes the ones who know too much are the worst patients lol...
Much luck and good wishes to all going through this....

Old 05-16-2012, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 11,028 times
So I couldn't wait to post my experience here after just having a core needle biopsy done on 2 days ago. First let me say that I am the biggest baby when it comes to needles or pain of any kind, my anxiety leading up to the procedure was far worse than the procedure itself. It actually hurt me more having my IV inserted than the procedure itself, and I had 8 samples taken. I had my choice between the stereotactic biopsy (where they put you in the mammogram machine, on the table and you are upside down with your breasts hanging down) or the "Standard" core needle biopsy, where you are laying down and the doctor works on you from the front. I have heard the stereotactic can be more painful because you are being squeezed the whole time in the mammo machine and you are upside down on the table. BUT....I think the only reason I had a choice in the matter was because he didn't even half to use an ultrasound to guide him, my lump was big enough he could feel it and palpate his way. If your lump is smaller, you will have to either do the stereotactic or the standard one with ultrasound guided. Well, I went into the OR and when they transferred me to the table, and strapped down first my waist, and then both of my arms so that I looked like Jesus on the cross, well then I just started to cry because I was SO SCARED. I have never had any type of surgery at all and had no idea how bad it would be. Well, then an angel descended from heaven and sat at my head and she wiped my tears and told me "oh sweetie, it's okay I will be right here with you the whole time" and she mad me feel SO MUCH BETTER. My dr was so good too, he put up a barrier just under my chin that went up about 2 feet so that I couldn't see a thing, that was my biggest fear was watching. Well they scrubbed up my breast with cold antiseptic, and then he gave me lidocain to numb the area, I BARELY felt the injection of the lidocain. Then he made the incision which I DID NOT FEEL AT ALL. He took the core needle and inserted it and took the first sample. I felt it a but it didn't hurt, but he wasn't happy that I felt it so he gave me more lidocaine, then all I felt from then on was him moving my breast around, and I could hear the "click" of the core needle when he snapped the trigger and it captured the tissue sample. He took 8 samples in all, he was only going to to 6 but too of them weren't big enough for his liking so he repeated them. Anyway, I was only in the OR about 35 minutes. I am bruised and sore, but not in any real pain and the incision is glued shut, and right at the line where your aereola is so you won't even see a scar. Please do not be anxious about this procedure like I was, get your rest and know that it will not be hard. Just trust your doctor and tell him if you feel anything and he will use more lidocain.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 9,937 times
Smile Core needle biopsy was not bad ...really!

Had my needle biopsy yesterday, after worrying and obsessing for over a week. It was not painful at all and i am a big baby, often tearing up in my mammograms.
VERY brief sting when the local was put in and didn't feel anything after that. They took 6 samples and it lasted no more than 10 minutes. The tech and the radiologist were gentle and explained everything well. After it was over they pressed on the site hard for several minutes to ensure no bleeding, and then had me press an ice pack on it for a few more minutes. I was surprised that I had to have a mammogram right afterward so they could document the location of the wide marker. They hadn't told me that before and I don't like surprises, but it was not painful as they didn't do hard compressions.
Still waiting for results and of course won't rest easy till then. But please don't be afraid of the procedure. I was really over-worried about that.
Good luck to all.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 9,755 times
I get to have this all done on Tuesday. Thanks ladies for the heads up. I at least have some idea what will occur. Wish me luck.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:56 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,155,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cuties1hunk View Post
I get to have this all done on Tuesday. Thanks ladies for the heads up. I at least have some idea what will occur. Wish me luck.
Luck to you!

Old 08-26-2012, 05:50 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,024,582 times
Good luck to you! Hoping for a clear pathology report for you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer