Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 06:24 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times

Advertisements

"This achievement ushers in a new era of comprehensive understanding of the fundamental nature of cancer, and offers great promise for the development of powerful new approaches to diagnosis, prevention and treatment."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
I think what will eventually come out of all of the Genome research is that even if we have mutated Genes we can still express our Epigenome in a positive way to overide those bad Genes in many diseases especially Cancer.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:48 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Thanks for posting the link.
My dad passed away from AML leukemia, I kick myself for not looking into his body helping others.

It's possible I may end up with it as I was exposed to the same chemicals he was.

I'm tempted to contact the Washington team to see if they can do any testing on me while I'm not showing signs of the disease.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:22 PM

I wrote Kat and got this response:

Thank you for contacting Cancer Research UK about the article you read on the BBC news website. The research was actually carried out by scientists in America, at Washington University. Over this side of the pond, Cancer Research UK is funding a great deal of research into uncovering the genes that are involved in cancer, although we cannot afford to do the kind of analysis that has been undertaken by the US team in this particular case. You can read about some of this work on our website: Cancer Research UK : Finding cancer genes

We do know that inheriting faulty genes can increase the risk of cancer - such as faults in the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes that increase the risk of breast cancer, or faults in the APC gene that increase the risk of bowel cancer. In some cases, we see families with a strong history of the same type of cancer, which suggests that there is a firm genetic link. We think these strong faults account for around one in twenty cancers.

There is more information about genes and cancer on our website : Cancer Research UK : Genes and cancer although this is quite technical.
However, cancer is a very common disease, affecting one in three people in the UK. So if a close relative develops cancer, it does not necessarily mean that it runs in the family, and it is difficult to comment more fully on your friend's situation. If he is concerned, I suggest he contacts our Cancer Information nurses: http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/feedback.asp or talks to his GP.
Thank you for contacting us.

Kat

Listen to the Cancer Research UK podcast to catch up on the latest news, events and discoveries! Download the latest show now from http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/news/podcast/

Dr Kat Arney
Senior Science Information Officer
Cancer Research UK

www.cancerresearchuk.org

Old 11-13-2008, 08:16 PM

PHILADELPHIA (Nov. 13, 2008) — A small, antibody-like molecule created by researchers at Fox Chase Cancer Center can successfully attack two separate molecules on the surface of cancer cells at the same time, halting the growth of breast cancer cells in laboratory tests

Old 11-18-2008, 06:18 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Thought this was interesting as researches at the University of Texas Anderson Cancer Center have found that a protein PEA-15 tells cancer cells to eat themselves or autophagy by the cellular lysosomes especially in ovarian cancer. So women who produce this protein naturally stand a better chance of either not getting it to surviving it after diagnosis.

Hmm.....what about fasting or low carb diets like atkins as these also cause autophagy to happen in the cells.

Protein Compels Ovarian Cancer Cells To Cannibalize Themselves - Science Daily

Old 11-18-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Thought this was interesting as researches at the University of Texas Anderson Cancer Center have found that a protein PEA-15 tells cancer cells to eat themselves or autophagy by the cellular lysosomes especially in ovarian cancer. So women who produce this protein naturally stand a better chance of either not getting it to surviving it after diagnosis.

Hmm.....what about fasting or low carb diets like atkins as these also cause autophagy to happen in the cells.

Protein Compels Ovarian Cancer Cells To Cannibalize Themselves - Science Daily
Yeah. It would be interesting to see if something similar could work in other kinds of cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer