Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:07 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,498,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The American Cancer society is a non-profit....I tend to trust them. They publish lots of studies and fund lots of research. So basically, that guts most of your argument right there. Then there is that beautiful link you posted...thanks, it's all over, the rational people just watched you implode but I bet you will just dig deeper. Hopefully more fellow crack-pots will chime in, I cannot possibly make a better argument for quackery that the frantic wailings of a covey of fanatics in full chorus.

Please, please, sing on.
I see you are living up to your tag line..."another 5lbs gone", guess you need to dump 'it' somewhere, but I don't really think this is the place, it's no helping the OP much. Seems you may be a tad too trusting to be given any credibility to me. If you dug a little deeper you would find that those 'societies' which publish 'lots' of research are funded by the same organisations that are killing you. I guess someone has to be taken in by their published '5lbs' though! Oops,, I'm out of here!

Old 11-11-2008, 10:46 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Well at least you got what your money's worth since that article is crap....

I love how "Facts" can some how be opinions

Chemotherapy does work in breast cancer....at least for some.

Research News on Chemotherapy

Susan G. Komen for the Cure | Understanding Breast Cancer | Treatment | Treatment

ACS :: Types of Treatment

Here are just a few sites where "facts" are actually facts and not opinions...

You and mathguy might want to check the title of the original poster.... The request was for "alternative cancer treatments". So if you don't have anything to offer on the subject, maybe you shouldn't post.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:45 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,990,879 times
Torrie wrote:
Ironically it's becoming more and more obvious that the conventional way of thinking when it comes to medical treatments, is what's quackery, not the other way around.
I've been aware of the allopathic health care scam for so long that I no longer find it ironic. What truly amazes me however, is how the general public has been hoodwinked by the FDA, the AMA, and big pharma, and seems totally oblivious to that fact. Whatever any of those agencies proclaim might as well be written in the bible.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:04 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Torrie wrote:
Ironically it's becoming more and more obvious that the conventional way of thinking when it comes to medical treatments, is what's quackery, not the other way around.
I've been aware of the allopathic health care scam for so long that I no longer find it ironic. What truly amazes me however, is how the general public has been hoodwinked by the FDA, the AMA, and big pharma, and seems totally oblivious to that fact. Whatever any of those agencies proclaim might as well be written in the bible.
I'm a year into it, so it still amazes me. The more I find out, the madder I get and the more absurd it seems. Sometimes I feel quite helpless, because there is so much garbage filtered into our food system, you almost can't get away from it.....compound that with our medical situation and it begins to look very gloomy. When you try to share with people, it falls on deaf ears because everyone is so programmed into "the system" that they can't see any other way. What fuels the whole thing is greed and money and I see no end to it.

So, to ExPit and others who are just tapping into the alternative healing.....keep digging- there is a ton of information out there-google is an excellent tool. You will be overwhelmed with the amount of information. Treat it as a hobby and take time to learn a little each week. You are having to re-learn everything you've been taught. At times you might feel helpless, because you won't be able to do everything suggested to stay healthy, but don't despair.....just know that knowledge is power and the more you know, the better decisions you can make down the road for you and your family.

When I look back, sometimes I wish I didn't know what I know because it was so much easier.....but only for a nano-second........now I realize I have more control than I ever did before and there's some comfort in that. The more you read the more you will be able to connect the dots and things will begin to come full circle. I imagine this will only make sense to those that have all ready delved into the world of alternative healing, but my hope is, others who read this will take the time to discover what several of us all ready know.

You will have people call you names, make fun of you for your beliefs and look at you like you're a wack job....... I've heard it all.....You will loose people in your family from things that could have been prevented as was the case with mine. BUT, after loosing 3 family members in one year, all to cancer,....some people are starting to take notice to what I'm saying. Through your research you will find it beneficial to start a health folder with all the links that you can refer to and share with your family and friends. Don't share everything with them, just articles that you find to be key points, otherwise you will overwhelm them and possibly could loose them in the process.

The key to optimal health is keeping your body in an alkaline state. Vitamin deficiency is a huge, huge factor as to why our bodies can't fight off illness. Once you realize this, you can do things to better maintain your health and fight off diseases such as cancer. It's all about prevention. I highly recommend you bookmark links on alternative cancer treatments and other diseases that are common or run in your family. This way, you know what to do if illness strikes and you're not frantically looking for solutions and trying to decide what's best.

I'll close by saying this is what I've discovered through my research, which I believe to be fact. You have to do what you think is right for you and your family. ExPit, all the best to you.

Last edited by Torrie; 11-12-2008 at 10:28 AM..

Old 11-12-2008, 11:43 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,361,721 times
First, I don't blame anyone on either side of this issue, it is something people feel strongly about, a life and death situation in many cases... so thanks to all, I know you are all just trying to help...

We will be getting the results of her PET scan either today or tomorrow, and I don't have a good feeling about it, just based on what I see before my own eyes; she is getting sicker, I see it. As a family, we have been picked up and dropped into a nightmare, somebody else's nightmare, it has to be, but no, it's not, it's ours...

The only good news we've gotten in the past few weeks, seems longer, but I have lost all track of time, is that her brain was clean. How only a few weeks ago we were only concerned about her COPD and keeping her diabetes under control, a fantasy now, and now we are watching the calendar, the clock, the hours dropping like lead, somebody needs to reach in and grab me by the neck, yank me out of this thing, I still don't believe it. Could be Mathguy, you are right, I've yet to accept this, still in the first stage of grief, denial...

"God grant me the wisdom to know the difference," between those things I can and can not change, I've never had that kind of wisdom. I careen from one minute to the next, pop up hopeful and then discouraged, seems like I have little control to choose. I can be fatalistic ad accepting at times, but just as quickly once again angry and defiant, ready to take on the world, if that's what I must do. I still don't know how they missed the beginnings of this. Just about 12 weeks ago she was in the hospital, they did x-rays and blood tests and wanted to send her home before she had even settled in, a year and a half ago she was in for two weeks. They did those tests and also a CAT then; how fast does this stuff spread?!

But then I do have a tendency to fight the losing battle, I know this about myself. Need to have some semblance of control, all evidence pointing to the contrary, my delusion. But there have been times when it has worked. There have been times when I found magic in dreaming, in fighting against the things others accept without question, and of course, I must admit I do find myself banging my head up against the wall at times, and by the time I wake up and look around, the variables have changed, the things I should be addressing have a new name, and are already starting to get the best of me, like waking up in the fifth round of a ten round fight, I'm sorry, I just don't know. Everyday brings a new set of circumstances, and some of the battles of yestereday are no longer realtive. Hard to get a handle on such a dynamic situation...

Just wanted to add a strand of hope, my latest strand of hope, an Italian oncologist in Rome, a Doctor Tullio Simoncini, don't know how to link it right now, but I watched a twenty minute lecture he gave to the medical community in Los Angeles a couple months ago. Has been doing wonderful things, it's possible, I tend to believe it. Putting this up for others, who may find themselves at an earlier stage of this disease, I have a sinking feeling that it is too late for my mom, but then I think it's too late to treat her traditionally as well.

Last edited by ExPit; 11-12-2008 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Dr. Tullio Simoncini... google name for more

Old 11-12-2008, 12:27 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,990,879 times
While this situation certainly appears to be rather glum, I wonder how often, in each one of our lives have we encountered an experience that later turned out to be totally different than our initial interpretation of it. We've probably all had experiences that initially felt like we were on the receiving end of a curse, or that we were on a streak of really bad karma, which later turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Vice versa, we've proabaly all had expereinces that initially brought us great joy that we later viewed as an albatross around our necks. So perhaps, the Zen like attitude of we'll see can serve us well in these times when so much of the news seems like bad news.

I'm reminded of a story from Tales of The Mystic East, which goes something like this.
We'll see!

The horse of a local farmer broke thru the fence and escaped the coral, and was nowhere to be found. Many of the farmers neighbors came to express their condolences for the farmers bad fortune. His response to all of them was, we'll see.

Then one day the horse returned, along with 2 wild horses. So now the farmer had 3 horses instead of just one. The neighbors came to acknowledge the farmers good fortune. Again the farmer responed to all of them by saying, we'll see.

The farmers son was working with the wild horses. One of the horses threw him to the ground, breaking his leg in the fall. The neighbors came by to offer their sympathy at the farmers bad luck. Once again the farmer responed to all of them by saying, we'll see.

A regional war broke out. The government agents rode into the village one day and conscripted all of the healthy young men. They we're all killed in the war, and the only remaining young man in the village was the farmers son with the broken leg.
It certianly appears that the sky is falling when you hear news like this. Only an ostrich with its head in the sand would deny that you are faced with an ominous challenge. But, we really have no way of knowing what truly is good fortune and what is not. We'll see!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:14 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,220,811 times
ExPit,

Came across this timely article related to cancer and alternative treatments that I thought might be helpful..

Its a clinical journal but not too technical...

Most here that bother to read any of the link will immediately reject the findings because the evil FDA is mentioned, but really, most if it comes down to plain common sense that you obviously have...

Ask yourself simple questions that the allopathic bashers will continue to ignore..

....If there were a simple cure for cancer, do you REALLY think your mother's doctor would with hold that info...

....If there were some compound, silver, peroxide, seaweed, fish oil, WHATEVER....do you really think the drug companies would not have found a way to make a KILLING off of that information....

....What possible motive could any healthcare professional have from hiding a cure?

....If it were really as simple as changing your diet, changing the alkalinity of your blood (something that is nearly impossible by the way), infusing vitamins or silver or what have you WHY HAVEN'T WE ALL HEARD OF THIS MIRACULOUS CANCER CURE??

The truth is its all snake oil...there is no hidden agenda, no governmental conspiracy, no fear of reprisal or fear of reputations being battered....there is no simple answer, no magic bullet.

Most of the folks that buy into unproven alternative therapies are desparate true, but they also have very little insight/understanding of basic biochemical/physiological facts that are really not open to interpretation. A slick marketing campaign with some pseudo scientific nomenclature sucks people in...

I have been down the road you are heading, and I do wish you the best. Keep your wits about you and don't fall for the hucksters...

Looking for a cancer cure in all the wrong places | HemOncToday

Old 11-12-2008, 05:00 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,021,926 times
bluedevilz, you just don't stop, do you? I understand your need to argue but I refuse to do it at the expense of ExPit, who is desperately trying to find help for his mother. As mentioned before, he IS asking for ideas and advice for alternative treatments. Show some respect and take your closed minded comments elsewhere.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:18 PM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
Quote:
Most here that bother to read any of the link will immediately reject the findings because the evil FDA is mentioned, but really, most if it comes down to plain common sense that you obviously have...

Ask yourself simple questions that the allopathic bashers will continue to ignore..

....If there were a simple cure for cancer, do you REALLY think your mother's doctor would with hold that info...
I go back & forth with this. Honestly, I don't know.
I know someone that lives pretty darned good due to it. As far as I know, they do not donate back into research.

Quote:
Came across this timely article related to cancer and alternative treatments that I thought might be helpful..

Its a clinical journal but not too technical...

Looking for a cancer cure in all the wrong places | HemOncToday
Thanks for posting the link, will go and check it out.

Right now, I have huge hope for Stand up 2 cancer and am hopeful that the dream team can come up with something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
First, I don't blame anyone on either side of this issue, it is something people feel strongly about, a life and death situation in many cases... so thanks to all, I know you are all just trying to help...

We will be getting the results of her PET scan either today or tomorrow, and I don't have a good feeling about it, just based on what I see before my own eyes; she is getting sicker, I see it. As a family, we have been picked up and dropped into a nightmare, somebody else's nightmare, it has to be, but no, it's not, it's ours...

I still don't know how they missed the beginnings of this. Just about 12 weeks ago she was in the hospital, they did x-rays and blood tests and wanted to send her home before she had even settled in, a year and a half ago she was in for two weeks. They did those tests and also a CAT then; how fast does this stuff spread?!

Everyday brings a new set of circumstances, and some of the battles of yestereday are no longer realtive. Hard to get a handle on such a dynamic situation...
Looking at this nightmare with some positive.. she was able to have the PET scan today! That is great!

Do you have her records from 12 weeks ago? If not, get yourself there and request them.

This is going to be the biggest roller coaster of your life. You will be up one minute then very low down. One day they were discussing not saving my dads life due to something that happened that day, of course the one day i did not go to the hospital; the next he was sitting up eating pancakes. When he passed I was in total shock; didn't hit me for a month.

Will be keeping you in my thoughts.
I know how horrible it is. Our nightmare started with my exBIL (through marriage) dying as a result of drinking. Then his wife, my daughters godmother, passed suddenly at 40 due to being over weight. My dad was diagnosed, family member almost lost a leg, dad passed, my FIL passed from a rare (32nd person) cancer 6 weeks later as well as losing a few others along with my daughters 13 year old classmate.

You will get through this.. some how.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:19 PM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
desperately trying to find help for his mother. As mentioned before, he IS asking for ideas and advice for alternative treatments. Show some respect and take your closed minded comments elsewhere.
We still have no clue if his mother even wants treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer