Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:07 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times

Advertisements

Ohiogirl, my sincere sympathy on the loss of your husband. At my oncologist's office, there is a prescription fund, contributions to which are welcome. The doctors put in an annual share, but many people endow the fund in their wills.

When I was put on chemo, (oral), my son innocently took the prescription to our local CVS. The young pharmacist came out from behind the counter and asked if we knew how much this was going to cost. When my son told him no, but that we could work it out, the pharmacist said, "This is going to cost $1,246.00 for two weeks." And I was going to have eight rounds of two weeks each.
When told I was on Medicare, he looked up my cost-share and it was $354.00 for two weeks. My son said we'd find a way. The pharmacist said that he was going to call the oncologist's office the next day and see what they could work out. Turns out, I was contacted by a mail-order pharmacy and they mailed my medication every three weeks, and my co-payment was $25.00 for each two week supply. I don't know how, or why, or who paid for the big cost but I am ever-so grateful and plan to leave some of my not-so-vast holdings to the fund to help others in need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 05:03 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
theatregypsy, what an uplifting story ! I am glad it helped you and that you were able to get help. One of the lucky ones.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:45 AM

Thanks must also go to the young pharmacist who was willing to forego the profit to his company to find a better way to get the much-needed medication to me. I remember him in my prayers.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:34 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Any updates that you can share? Hope that the "Something there" was just an overstatement and it was swelling from other issues that were resolved already, and will go away!

"Hugs" at you regardless and your husband is fine!
Unfortunately, the cancer is back. We will be meeting with the chemo doc and the radiation therapy doc next week. Treatment will begin immediately.

I will try to update when I can.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:30 PM

Maggie2101, prayers for both of you.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:14 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Unfortunately, the cancer is back. We will be meeting with the chemo doc and the radiation therapy doc next week. Treatment will begin immediately.

I will try to update when I can.
Sorry to hear that, my heart goes out to you!

Old 11-20-2011, 12:24 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
It's ironic that with all my dealings to date with my own cancer, my daughter's very lovable boxer dog, was diagnosed with cancer yesterday. This next Friday I have to take it to have its Left leg removed up to the shoulder.

Seems everyone is touched by cancer in all forms.
Well some good news out of the dark stuff!

When the Vet was giving my daughter the bad news about her dog having cancer and needing the leg removed. I was looking at the X-rays posted on the wall.

The area she was saying was cancer, looked a lot like a past broken bone and the dog had a lot of birdshot in his body from years ago. I told her so and she said they were two different events. When My daughter got the dog from the pound about five years ago, it was six years old at the time and was blind in one eye. The story was it was scratched out by a cat when it was a puppy. But the chest X-ray showed a lot of bird shot there as well.

I pointed this out that the dog may have been blinded by the shotgun blast and had his eye taken out and his leg broken all in the same event.

I decided to take the dog to another vet for a second opinion on if the dog had cancer and needed to have it's leg removed. Well Thursday (before I could see a second vet), the first vet called my daughter and said it might not be cancer but in fact what I told her it was, I guess she was new to reading X-rays...

So the dog doesn't have to have his led removed, but may have arthritis and is getting old now. Over all good news, but shows you may want to question all doctors, even vets... Took this video today of the dog in his Arctic gear at -41 degrees this morning with all four legs! Out of all the bad news, it is nice to hear some good now and then!

Arctic dog wear - YouTube

Old 11-20-2011, 07:35 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
So sorry to hear this, Maggie. I'm wishing you both the best.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:00 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,129 times
I'm so sorry Maggie.

That is great news starlite! I lost my dog to cancer 3 months before my first diagnosis. I just hate cancer!

Old 02-21-2012, 02:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Prayers to all of you. I will just take a second to introduce myself. I am so glad I found this board; For me, I had cervical cancer at 24 years old. Never had another bout, but I did have a hysterectomy. It was after we had a premee that died and I was in for my 6 week check up. The pap smear came back, the D&C followed and the rest is history. From that we adopted 2 wonderful children. They are now middle aged with kids of their own.

Right now hubby is fighting 2 cancers: 1 is liposcarcoma which was removed about 18 months ago and has re-appeared. 4 hours of surgery last month and the new mass is gone bye bye. He has also now, been diagosed with prostate cancer and they are not related in anyway. He is on hormore theropy and will start an 8 week session of radiation any day now, either Thurs of this week or early next week. We are hopeful he will be able to control the growth and we can enjoy our twilight years.

I will probably pop up here often as I am addicted to these threads.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer