Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:00 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times

Advertisements

My sig. other is not leaving me and my illness. He is sticking by me.
If anything, I'm the one that wanted to leave so I wouldn't have to put him through this too but neither of us is going anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 11:20 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
I knew of someone whose wife (in her thirties) was dying of bone cancer. Her husband was angry because she wasn't giving him enough sex because she was in pain and told her that it was her fault that he'd have to go get it from someone else. He remarried six months after she died.

I always hope life paid him back in some appropriate way.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I knew of someone whose wife (in her thirties) was dying of bone cancer. Her husband was angry because she wasn't giving him enough sex because she was in pain and told her that it was her fault that he'd have to go get it from someone else. He remarried six months after she died.

I always hope life paid him back in some appropriate way.
That's just too cruel. What goes around, comes around and nobody is immune to cancer.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:13 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times
While we were in chemo/radiation, I was always moved by the devotion of the spouses. All of us (the supportive spouse) had a silent communication as we waited or sat with our companions/spouses. I was truly moved by the love and compassion exhibited by couples.

It was truly moving.

I think the news article should be: Most Scumbag Men leave their spouses. They were scum before their wives were diagnosed with cancer and they showed their true colors after her diagnosis.

Non-biased here!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Actually it only says that "when couples did split, the patient was six times more likely to be a woman than a man"....without regard to reason (ie the cancer isn't necessarily the reason). They also say "It's important to note that most men do stay."
yep that is what I read.I actaully know several couples that split after the wife had and was treated for cancer. I these cases it was the female that decided to split. In knowing them ;they bascailly did what they ahd want to for years but the experience of cancer made them seek their dream. Most tuirned out not has they expected tho.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 AM

I had mentioned leaving to my sig. other because I was having a pity party and I didn't want him to have to deal with this too. He just laughed.

I didn't really want him to leave of course - just my emotions going crazy and saying things I don't really mean. There will be times I'll be helpless and I don't like being in that position where others have to do things for me so that's why I said what I said about me leaving.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,012,522 times
These studies are pointless in general. People divorce for many many reasons and usually it's the guy that leaves vs the female. Probably the best thing they can do for us.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:06 PM

516 posts, read 1,375,531 times
I may get blasted, but while it's horrible to leave a spouse for ANY reason, I can understand how the stress of cancer can make you just snap and leave. It's an extremely stressful situation (obviously for EVERYONE not just the spouse).. and if there were already problems I can see why someone may leave.

I wouldn't do that, but I think it's easier to say "Oh what a horrible person" but unless you've experienced the emotion and stress as a spouse it's hard to judge IMO.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times
My mother had been living with a man for 2 years before she was diagnosed with cervical cancer. I did not like him, and he did not like me. However, I was pleasently surprised when he took such good care of her through the whole ordeal, so I have a lot of respect for him now. Unfortunately, I could not be there for her since they moved to Dallas, and I still lived in Phoenix. She kept getting sicker and sicker, but he did whatever he had to accommodate her. Sadly, despite all efforts of the doctors she passed away a year later at only 52 years old.

http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/3D%20Smiles%20%2891%29.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-04-2010, 08:42 PM

I think it takes a special person to do this. It's very stressful not only for the person that is sick but for the person taking care of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer