Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

The Susan G Komen website has chatrooms that were very helpful. You can talk to women who have had your particular situation. Also, the Dr Susan Love website and her book, "The Breast Book", which my surgeon recommended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:25 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
When I go back into town next week, I'm looking for that book.
I'm on another breast forum so far but need to check out others too.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The Susan G Komen website has chatrooms that were very helpful. You can talk to women who have had your particular situation. Also, the Dr Susan Love website and her book, "The Breast Book", which my surgeon recommended.
Heard those books are excellent but have yet to them them, soon hopefully. There was no way I could shower b/c my chest would get wet, I was able to shampoo my hair and shower from the waist down (using a large plastic garbage bag to go over my upper body) but had to sponge bathe on my upper torso. The 2 last drains were removed after about 3 weeks and I was able to drive (limited) after about 2 weeks. I try to park in pull-thru spots even if they're further away b/c backing out (manuvering) was no picnic.

BTW, Yahoo has some BC forums which are helpful and reassuring.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:37 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,625 times
I had bilateral mastectomy Nov 18th. I had a morphine drip that I quit using the evening of surgery and went home the next day. I did not have reconstruction so there were no tissue expanders which may have affected my length of stay. I'm currently doing chemo.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:45 PM

How are you doing on chemo? Seems like there are some side effects.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:12 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,625 times
The chemo is rough. Not as bad as I expected, but not nearly as easy as I hoped. I just completed my four rounds of dose dense (ever two weeks) of Adriamycin and Cytoxin. The side effects for me have been fatigue, extreme hot flashes, and indigestion/acid reflux?/gastric problems. I can't eat anything without belching for hours. It's gross! *LOL* Folloing the last two treatments I got a low grade fever the day after treatment and had to miss a day and a half of work. I've had nausea, but they gave me Emend for that so it's not really been a big problem. The A/C wiped my immune system completely out, but that was expected, so I'm on anti-biotics while my WBC and Neutrophils are low. The effects seem to be cumulative, so it's gotten a little worse each time. It's no fun, but it's do-able. Next week I'll start my four round of Taxol. It's supposed to be easier, so I'm looking forward to that!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:54 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
songinthewind7
I wanted to mention something else that I think is important. I had a sentinel node biopsy. This is where they remove just a few lymph nodes under the arm including the sentinel (major large) node, instead of a lot of lymph nodes. This is a lot less damaging to you body and has a speedier recovery with fewer side effects.This is peachy if the sentinel node turns out to be negative, but if it's positive then there is no way of knowing if the cancer has continued to travel past it.

The question I failed to ask my surgeon before hand was "What if the sentinel node is positive?" Might it be more prudent to have more nodes removed in the first place? Mine was positive and so I underwent both chemo and radiation, because there was no way of knowing if the cancer had gone past the sentinel node. If it had been negative, I would not have needed any of these things. I could have had more lymph nodes taken out and examined, but declined to have more surgery. I think my oncologist would have prefered that I had more lymph nodes removed, because you want to remove any obvious tumors.
I had 3 very teeny tumors, so everyone was really shocked that my node was positive.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:14 PM

When the radiologist talked to me, I think he said that they don't remove nodes anymore. I might have misunderstood at the time but I'll ask the surgeon when I talk to her.
I just hate all this waiting.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:59 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I just saw this and I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. My mom had a mastectomy when she was 73 and spent a couple of nights in the hospital, but she was frail and did not have a good support system. I was around, but was 9 months pregnant. Despite having the surgery and the drain tube, my mom spent all day at the hospital on the day I delivered. I'm just saying that so you'll know that although you won't feel good, you might feel better than you think you will.

My mom didn't have any lymph node involvement and because of her age the doctor did not recommend chemo or radiation and she's still cancer free 11 years later. She tried to take Tamoxifan but stopped for some reason--she didn't like how she felt on it, or something.

Wishing you the best possible outcome.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:11 PM

Great for your mom. 11 year survivor.

I guess I'm afraid with all this waiting I seem to be doing on referrals and authorizations from docs to insurance companies....geez I could be dead.
I have spent so much time on the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer